Inside Man

Started by pete, December 07, 2005, 11:25:10 PM

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: matt35mm on March 27, 2006, 09:37:15 PM
SPOILER QUESTION

How did Dalton know about the old man's secret?

END SPOILER
He could smell it.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Neil

Spoiler Answer

My assumption was just that he was just a smart man, looking for that perfect time/place, which he found...That's just what i thought though.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

matt35mm

Quote from: Neil on March 28, 2006, 01:11:52 PM
Spoiler Answer

My assumption was just that he was just a smart man, looking for that perfect time/place, which he found...That's just what i thought though.

MORE SPOILERS

But being smart doesn't answer why he knew about something that was kept a total secret since 1948.  Not even his being an "inside man" answers that.  At the very best, he would be able to access a file that showed that slot 324 or whatever it was didn't exist, but there would be no way to know what was in it.  I expected it to be revealed that he was maybe related to the old man, or somebody that the old man stole from back in the old days...  but it was never really answered.  He just knew this thing that hasn't been mentioned since it was locked away before he was born.

Other than that, though, I didn't really care about or even notice the other things that didn't quite add up.

Neil

Spoiler

here goes my reasoning, there was a guy in on the job who worked there...So, that guy found out, he was another inside man...So, maybe that was it...Maybe the guy who worked there, found out that there was no number for lock box 392 or whatever number it was...Could that be a possability?

RegularKarate

What?

anyway, Matt, I'm quite sure that the "how did he know?" question is intentionally unanswered because who gives a fuck?  He found out.  Do you really need the specific way he found out?  okay... well, he clearly knew some old jewish dudes and some other old german dudes and some other old swiss dudes and he heard this and that and did his research then figured out what must be in the box.

matt35mm

Quote from: RegularKarate on March 28, 2006, 11:33:35 PM

anyway, Matt, I'm quite sure that the "how did he know?" question is intentionally unanswered because who gives a fuck?  He found out.  Do you really need the specific way he found out?  okay... well, he clearly knew some old jewish dudes and some other old german dudes and some other old swiss dudes and he heard this and that and did his research then figured out what must be in the box.

Oh, I don't really care.  I gave it a B+, and my question doesn't really affect the grade.  I definitely don't need a specific way, and your reasoning makes sense... I didn't really think about his old jew associates.  I guess it wasn't really that well guarded of a secret on the part of the old man, though, huh?

And thanks for capitalizing the first letter of my name.  Most people seem to deliberately de-capitalize it because of my screenname (in posts that have otherwise correct capitalization of everything), and it always strikes me as odd.  End tangent.

Neil

One of the people in on the job worked at the bank, so don't get fucking cocky and "what?" me...I'm not making it up, it's real, so that was me suggesting a possibility, check your ego.

©brad

Neil

Thanks, I appreciate that, rather than you tell me that i was incorrect, i appreciate knowing that.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Neil on March 29, 2006, 02:38:53 PM
One of the people in on the job worked at the bank, so don't get fucking cocky and "what?" me...I'm not making it up, it's real, so that was me suggesting a possibility, check your ego.

I don't know how saying "what?" means I need to "check my ego".
How does someone used to work at the bank leads to him knowing what was in the box and what it meant?  aka "what?"

Gamblour.

Ah the power of overreading a comment. RK, your attitude is out of control. I know you didn't say anything to me, but the way you replied to my simpsons post....you crossed the line, mister.
WWPTAD?

Neil

This is what i remember, and i quite possibly could be wrong because I've lost alot of brain cells since i watched it, but I'm pretty sure this is what happened.Spoiler After Dalton leaves the bank, and gets in the car, this old man who worked in the bank said "what about the ring?" and Dalton says "I left it there" so then it does this one shot and it's just on the old man, then i realized that he worked in the bank, so, i kind of figured that with a guy who is old, and who works in the bank possibly he knew the dirt on this guy, and i suppose that could have possibly happened.  I thought my first post made more sense than to get a "what" maybe i was wrong.  Weather or not this is even right, this is just an assumption, i mean i just thought maybe this could be a possibility, but maybe it's incorrect, so I'm not sure, i just trying to think about it, did you guys not remember this part with the old man?

Sleepless

I may be wrong, I've only seen the film once, but my recollection is that the old Jewish guy didn't actually work in the bank, he was in there pretending to be a clint of the bank when the other robbers came in dressed as painters. That was what I thought for the whole film, but I guess I could be wrong.

Either way, I really enjoyed the movie. Awesome. And yes, I loved 25th Hour too. As for the Denzel shot, Spike Lee has used that shot many times before in far better ways, and although it jarred somewhat within the style of the rest of the film, the more I think about it the more I like it here. It's a visual expression of what Denzel's character's mental state it - oh fuck I've fucked it up.

Anyways - did anyone else think that the last scene with the five robbers in the car (with the Jewish guy there having got revenge on the Nazi war criminal) smack as something out of Munich? At the end of the day, this is a Spike Lee film, and themes of racism are always going to be present. I thought it was a very interesing addition to Spike's catalogue, and I can't wait to own the DVD.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

pete

SPOILER DISCUSSION REGARDING THE SPOILER

I thought that old Jewish guy, who was the diamond expert who gave Frazer advices on diamonds, was the same guy who ordered Dalton to pulled the robbery in the first place, and I just assumed that he, as a Jewish diamond expert, had something to do with the ring that belonged to the Parisian family.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Blanchard does right for Lee's 'Man' score
By Sheigh Crabtree; Hollywood Reporter

The opening and closing musical tracks of Spike Lee's "Inside Man" immediately attracted the attention of film critics and moviegoers alike because Lee chose an unexpected piece of Bollywood music as a curtain-raiser for his urban thriller.

Online discussion boards, particularly iTunes' "Inside Man" soundtrack homepage, were swamped with demands for the single "Chaiyya Chaiyya Bollywood Joint."

Longtime Lee composer Terence Blanchard says the song, which originally was featured in the 1998 Bollywood hit "Dil Se," is in perfect keeping with the director's distinct musical choices.

"To me it goes right back to when Spike did 'Do the Right Thing' and he used (Public Enemy's) 'Fight the Power'," Blanchard says. "He is a serious music lover and he knew ("Chaiyya Chaiyya") would create a unique viewing experience; it sends you off in an unexpected direction thinking in an expanded tonal palette for the picture."

Blanchard lightly rearranged composer AR Rahman's original track for the film by beefing up the song's orchestration with some strings, horns, brass and timpani, and he also tried to extend the musical structure of the song without being redundant.

Then the composer and the director brought in Panjabi MC to add hip-hop lyrics that play on the song's original themes of cultural divides.

The instrumentation also connects with Blanchard's jazzy original score for the film that the song bookends. And though Lee generally gives Blanchard a lot of room to create musical ideas around his images, the way they reached the song choice for "Inside Man" was slightly unusual even by the standards of their long-running relationship. "We hadn't had any musical conversations about the movie until he started to cut the picture together," Blanchard says. "Whereas on (the Golden Globe nominated score for) '25th Hour,' Spike told me to get prepared for wall-to-wall music."

When Blanchard saw a rough cut, the first thing that struck him was its distinct look and Denzel Washington and Clive Owen's performances.

"I said, I know the music has to have an aggressive pulse to it given those characters," Blanchard says. "But it's always interesting working with Spike -- he loves melody."

Of the previous films on which they have worked, Lee always has asked Blanchard for a CD of distinct themes, which the director then assigns to different characters. The same was true but with a twist on "Inside Man."

"Spike picked one of the prettiest themes and gave it to Dalton (Owen's character) who's supposed to be bad guy!" Blanchard laughs. "I said, You sure you want to do that? He always tries to go for some unique and different choices and by doing that he creates a challenging narrative that also helps tell the story."

Blanchard wrote the score over four weeks and recorded it with more than 60 orchestra members for four days at Todd-AO in Los Angeles.

But just days before he was set to record the score, Hurricane Katrina wiped out Blanchard's childhood home in New Orleans. He was unable to find his mother for two weeks.

The composer's story of personal loss will be documented in Lee's upcoming documentary "When the Levees Broke."

"Trust me, it's hard for people to fathom the vastness of the tragedy," Blanchard says. "We have friends who survived, but lost everything and died from broken hearts. Working on the 'Inside Man' score was a Godsend for me. When you hear the Dalton themes in the beginning, it's also what was going on with Katrina in my mind. Music was a great outlet during that period."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks