The Descent [From The Writer/Director of Dog Soldiers]

Started by modage, November 19, 2005, 08:26:30 PM

modage

TRAILER: http://www.thedescentthemovie.co.uk/trailer/

Plot Summary: After a tragic accident, six friends reunite for a caving expedition. Their adventure soon goes horribly wrong when a collapse traps them deep underground and they find themselves pursued by bloodthirsty creatures. As their friendships deteriorate, they find themselves in a desperate struggle to survive the creatures and each other.

Apparently this has already had it's release and is now on DVD in the UK, though there is still no word on a US release.  I became aware of the film when I read Empire Magazine's list of 50 Greatest Horror Movies of All Time and then found out that it was written & directed by Neil Marshall who did the film, Dog Soldiers which I thought was really good.  So I decided to do a little hunting for the film and actually got a hold of a copy.  I'll check back in later with thoughts.

There's a handful of reviews on AICN here, here, here, and here.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

This was playing in England while I was there, but I never saw it. My film teacher, brilliant guy, said it was good.
WWPTAD?

modage

Yeah this was good.  I encourage horror fans to look for it when it's released over here.  And the less you know about it, the better.  THe first hour starts out as more of a suspense film until the shit hits the fan.  It's unfortunate that the film looks so simliar to The Cave because this could probably kick that films ass up and down.  RK, Mac, Ghostboy, Gamblor, see this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I'm looking forward to it. I'll go ahead and skip the trailer. It shouldn't be too hard to find at our import video store here...

Ghostboy

Okay, yeah, this film scared the shit out of me. It's terrifying.

modage

modage

pete

I loved dog soldiers.  so this is not funny like dog soldiers?  this is just a straight up scary movie?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Lionsgate (FINALLY!) Descends on August 4th
Source: Cinematical

At first I thought they were just waiting for people to forget that The Cave ever existed, but the Lionsgate folks have decided they kept The Descent under wraps more than long enough: August 4th, people!

LG looks to be going "wide" with this release, on a weekend that is a fairly crowded one. The brilliant Brit horror flick will have to steal some audience away from The Barnyard, Fearless, The Night Listener, and Will Ferrell's Talladega Nights. Actually ... that's not a bad weekend to release a horror flick, is it?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

McfLy

Dog Soldiers is a great flick. I thought the director was working on a follow up, but after all the positive feedback I've heard on this movie, perhaps its for the better.

MacGuffin

Update on Dog Soldiers Sequel!
Source: horror-movies.ca

In this month's issue of Rue Morgue (issue number 58, July 2006), there is not only an article of Neil Marshall's The Descent but also one of the resurgence of the British horror scene. A sidebar by Tom Murray is all about Dog Soldiers: Fresh Meat, the long delayed sequel to Marshall's excellent werewolf picture Dog Soldiers.

Director Rob Green who previously helmed The Bunker (which is a fairly decent suspense horror film) is at the helm of this sequel. The story (which Green has written with Eric Miller) takes place shortly after the first, Pvt. Cooper is found wandering the forests by the American Special Forces group he and his squad was suppose to be going against. His story not believed (Sarcasm: I wonder why) he is held onto and a little while later a survivor of Captain Ryan's unit comes up and guess what? They along with some others have and turned into werewolves.

Director Rob Green: "Some of the characters actually love being a werewolf because they are so powerful – the ultimate killing machine...it's a fun spin on the traditional angle that being a werewolf is a curse which damns the person the person no matter what. We also have a very savage she-wolf in the climax who faces against the leader of the pack of Dog Soldiers."

Now, we all know that Fresh Meat has long been on the rack, collecting dust but finally it looks like cameras wills start rolling this fall and Green explains why:

"We need longer nights for shooting because about 70 percent of the film is set at night. We want to shoot during a Hunter's Moon when the moon appears three times its normal size."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

McfLy

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 02, 2006, 12:04:32 PM
We also have a very savage she-wolf in the climax who faces against the leader of the pack of Dog Soldiers."
:yabbse-undecided:
I hope everything before the climax is of more or equal quality than part 1.

diggler

I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

noyes

didn't know they were releasing this here.
saw it last fall with my cousin after reading ghostboy's comment.
really good horror flick. although the tv spot ruined the scariest part of film.
south america's my name.

diggler

Quote from: noyes on July 16, 2006, 09:09:37 PM
didn't know they were releasing this here.
saw it last fall with my cousin after reading ghostboy's comment.
really good horror flick. although the tv spot ruined the scariest part of film.

yea i was upset to see the ad campaign give away where this film really goes. most people i show this too i try not to say anything, it builds better if you don't know.
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty