Underworld: Evolution

Started by MacGuffin, October 20, 2005, 09:03:41 PM

MacGuffin

:multi:   I have a feeling I'm the only excited about this.

Trailer here.

Release Date: January 20th, 2006 (wide)

Cast: Kate Beckinsale (Selene), Scott Speedman (Michael Corvin), Shane Brolly (Kraven), Bill Nighy (Viktor), Derek Jacobi (Marcus), Scott McElroy (Soren), Shane Brolly (Kraven), Michael Sheen (Lucian), Zita Gorog (Amelia), Caroline Marcelle (Young Selene), Steven Mackintosh, Brian Steele, John Mann

Director: Len Weisman (Underworld)

Screenwriter: Danny McBride (II) (Underworld)

Premise: Selene the vampire and her lover, Michael the werewolf-hybrid, are caught in the middle of the continuing war between the two immortal races.

Based Upon: A sequel to 2003's Underworld. The director has stated in interviews that the story was originally conceived as a trilogy, with the third installment possibly being a prequel.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Whoa bro, at first I thought this may have been written by the guy who played Bustass in All The Real Girls.  That would've been weird.  Nope, just a guy with the exact same name.

Ghostboy

Derek Jacobi?

The first one had a few moments. This one looks like it may have the same few.

Fernando

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 20, 2005, 09:03:41 PM
:multi:   I have a feeling I'm the only excited about this.

Apparently plenty of ppl were waiting for it.

1. Underworld: Evolution $27,600,000
2. Hoodwinked $11,078,000
3. Glory Road $9,135,000
4. Last Holiday $9,100,000
5. Brokeback Mountain $7,832,000
6. Fun with Dick and Jane $6,100,000
7. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe $6,067,000
8. End of the Spear $4,712,000
9. Hostel $4,300,000
10. The New World $4,250,000

modage

how was this, by the way, mac?  i thought the first one was a little dull.  would i like this any better?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: modage on January 23, 2006, 11:54:10 AM
how was this, by the way, mac?  i thought the first one was a little dull.  would i like this any better?

Haven't gone yet.  :oops:
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

killafilm

I saw this after work today.  Got off, and just had the urge to see something, and this started in like 5 minutes.

So.  I liked it better than the first.  The story is once again all convulted and kinda meh.  But I had a lot more fun.  There seemed to be a bit more action and it all looked good.  Kate Beckinsale is of course uber hot.  You even see a bit of T&A this time around.  The movie had the least showing full on nudy sex scene ever.  I think the movie kinda takes itself to seriously, like the first one.  The lead dude, the hybrid guy is awful.  Not very insightful, but that's what I got out've it.

still haven't seen The New World :( 

penfold0101

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 20, 2005, 09:03:41 PM
:multi:   I have a feeling I'm the only excited about this.

I was excited too  :yabbse-grin:
Loved the first one, thought it was a cool little action flick that was trying some different stuff!

Unfortunately no one i know liked the first one, so they didn't want to see this and I've never been very independent,  I cant possibly go on my own!

I'll just catch it on dvd.
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

MacGuffin

Seriously... WTF?!

Beckinsale dropped from Underworld 3

An "Underworld 3" is happening.

The bad news?: Kate Beckinsale will not be in it.

Yep, you read right. The only 'good' thing about this franchise is walking – and she's taking her body-hugging trousers with her!

Beckinsale's hubby, writer/director Len Wiseman, is writing a penning to the first two films, so Beckinsale's character, leather-clad avenger Selena, won't be needed.

"I think it's a prequel before I'm actually in it, so I think that won't include me if it happens," the spunkette tells MTV, in an interview to promote her forthcoming comedy, "Click".

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

So what I really loved about the first film seemed missing in this one - Kate Beckinsale/Selene kickin' ass. While she does get her fair share of action scenes, it felt like she took a back seat to the other characters and their story line. Sadly, the most interesting part was the prologue -- which she's not even in. The story follows a natural progression from the first that doesn't feel like an afterthought, tacked-on sequel, but the first film had an interesting take on Romeo and Juliet with Werewolves and Vampires and the story served the characters. Here, it came across as the characters serving the story. I wouldn't say I was dissapointed since I didn't expect it to completely capture what I found in the first one, but I would have liked it to at least expand on the lead characters.

Skeleton FilmWorks

sheshothim

Selene got shat on, didn't she?
It ALWAYS bugs me when they can't get the same actors to play characters, too. Obviously you know I'm talking about Michael. It really bugs me when that happens, so it took my focus off the movie a whee bit I think. You know, I think the only time I would have accepted an actor change would have been replacing Halle Berry as Storm.
That's right. I'm still not over it.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."