The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Started by The Red Vine, September 04, 2005, 09:09:19 AM

The Red Vine

So this movie comes out on Friday. I kinda have high hopes for it. Ever since "Exorcist - The Beginning" I figured the whole exorcism horror idea is officially dead. But it looks like the subject matter might be taken a lot more seriously here. From what I hear, it's based on a true story (as was The Exorcist). Tom Wilkonsin can do no wrong with his performances and Laura Linney....well she might be good too. We'll see.

Trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/theexorcismofemilyrose
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

modage

from what i hear there are 20 minutes of exorcism in flashbacks and the rest is a courtroom drama thats fit for tv.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

The Red Vine

Well the director did say this was the first ever courtroom horror movie.

Pas

Quote from: RedVinesWell the director did say this was the first ever courtroom horror movie.

And that's a good thing because ?

Ghostboy

It might be sorta interesting, but yeah, I've heard that Law & Order buzz as well.

Still, good source material: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/02/AR2005090200559.html?nav=rss_artsandliving/movies

The Red Vine

Quote from: Pas Rap
Quote from: RedVinesWell the director did say this was the first ever courtroom horror movie.

And that's a good thing because ?

I never said it was a good thing.

Sal

Maybe it's been awhile since I've had a good scare but this one gave me chills.  Demons and strange possessions and girls who really sell like they're inhabited by the devil just get me at the soft spot.  I thought this was an excellent film and I really encourage anyone who's doubtful of it to check it out too.  It might surprise you.  I even liked the courtroom stuff because it raised the tension on how the story is presented to you.  Sometimes flashbacks don't work, but here they totally did.  :violin:

noyes

saw this yesterday with my cousin.
i actually did like it, but was deeply disappointed by the actual exorcism.
i didn't like that her voice was her own (a slight bit deeper and evil) just at a high and shrill whisper. it didn't work for me.
had it been more deeper. had they maybe given her a more deep, demonic male voice, it would have help the scene immensely. the whole time i was watching it i was thinking, "wow.. there would be nothing scarier here than a the deep, almost bass voice of a demon, for some irrelevant reason or not, moaning sadly." and the whole "one two three four five six.. trick or treat, give you tricks" line? wtf. we couldn't help but burst out laughing. i did love the whole courtroom banter though. and the flashbacks did work to an extent. the only act of possession that worked on the screen was the first time she was possessed. that scene was effective and the lighting of the room was amazing. not a ounce of cheesiness attached to it. but it eventually got worse.
okay movie.
south america's my name.

Ghostboy

It was okay. Better than Dominion, in any case. The courtroom stuff got a bit preachy. And the priest was just sort of annoyingly pious through the whole thing. And some of the dialogue was pretty bad.

Still, the Exorcism itself was good and creepy and believable, although the only really frightening part was when the boyfriend is spending the night at her house and wakes up and sees her on the floor. That was really subtle and freaky.

Fernando

I saw this yesterday, I thought it was very well done, I don't really know if this could be considered as a real horror movie, more like suspense/drama with some scary bits. I thought the exorcism looked pretty believable or what I consider it to be, it had solid acting too, Wilkinson as usual was pretty good as well as Linney, actually as redvines said Wilkinson can do no wrong, I don't think I've ever been dissapointed by one of his performances.

I'm very curious to read the thoughts of the horror fans here, (although as I said don't know if it really is), mod, mac, rk or any others.

ddmarfield

"Objection! Silliness!"

When the prosecuting attorney actually said that line, I felt it summed up the movie. Though not a bad film in itself, it gets too bogged down in ridiculous courtroom antics. The Exorcism scenes are alright, but it's hard to have any good horror matter in a PG-13 film. Of course if it had been rated R it never would have opened at number one at the box office, but it's still sad to see horror watered down to cater to the masses. I thought of the film as a horror movie made for people who don't like to go to horror movies.

Laura Linney was good as always. It is nice to see characters with brains in a horror film, even if its a forgettable one.
"The girls around here all look like Cadillacs" -- Tom Waits

SiliasRuby

Forgettable but smartly written and I wanted more exorcism scenes, but at least it was a step in the right direction.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection