The Prize Winner Of Defiance, Ohio

Started by MacGuffin, August 31, 2005, 12:38:45 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date:  September 30th, 2005 (limited).

Starring: Julianne Moore, Woody Harrelson, Laura Dern, Frank Chiesurin, Trevor Morgan, Jordan Todosey, Ryan Price, Monte Gagne, Michael Seater, Robert Clark, Abigail Falle    

Director: Jane Anderson  

Producer: Robert Zemeckis, Jack Rapke, Steve Starkey

Screenwriter: Jane Anderson

Source Writer: Terry Ryan  

Premise: Evelyn Ryan is a devoted housewife and mother of ten in the 1950s. Her husband can't seem to make ends meet, but that doesn't stop the car from breaking down, the mortgage coming due and the bills from piling up. It falls to Evelyn to defy the conventions of the day and find a way to keep her family together with the odds stacked against them. Applying her remarkable resourcefulness and an uncommon wit, Evelyn finds her own way in the profitable jingle contests popular in the 1950s and '60s.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

hmm i wonder if this movie will hav a message.
under the paving stones.

NEON MERCURY

juliane's face looks annoying... [when shes really happy]

matt35mm

"Sometimes happiness is an act of 'Defiance'" is one of the worst taglines I've heard in years.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this looks like just another reason that women shouldn't direct movies.  You know, unless they're good.

Gamblour.

A few things...

Matt, the tagline is "Happiness is a state of Defiance." Which is actually worse and more awkward.

Secondly, you say "another reason" why women shouldn't direct movies. I'm not saying I don't agree with you, I'm wondering if this has been discussed elsewhere for it to be "another" reason. Because after seeing Miranda July's borefest, I'm starting to agree.

That trailer wasn't so much a trailer as it was the movie condensed to two minutes. It was strangely constructed, with long chunks of scenes included. It really felt like a clips reel. Also, this is in limited release, but it looks like a Disney movie. That last line about hope is the sappiest shit.
WWPTAD?

matt35mm

Quote from: GamblourSecondly, you say "another reason" why women shouldn't direct movies. I'm not saying I don't agree with you, I'm wondering if this has been discussed elsewhere for it to be "another" reason. Because after seeing Miranda July's borefest, I'm starting to agree.
I was joking.  And I loved Me And You And Everyone We Know.

But I do wonder if there's a thread about the diffences between male and female directors.  I have my theories on why there are far more male directors than female, which isn't the case in most art forms.

MacGuffin

Quote from: matt35mmI have my theories on why there are far more male directors than female, which isn't the case in most art forms.

"Avoid women directors. They ovulate. Do you have any idea what that does to a three month shoot?" - Buddy, Swimming With Sharks
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

aww mac, don't tell us where the quote is from!  the best thing about your italics is knowing you know it from somewhere and trying to place it!  

i've always been kinda sexist towards women writing/directing films (see: tons of offhand comments in many misc threads).  sofia coppola being my main exception.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.