Started by aurora, March 13, 2003, 08:01:29 PM

aurora

What are some fully subjective movies?

I'm trying to think but I can only think of 1 that I'm certain of:

Pi

I can think of ones that almost are like:

Punch-Drunk Love - besides the Utah scenes
Forrest Gump just about is too besides the flashbacks and cut scenes to Jenny
Taxi Driver - besides the conversation at that office and Sport (the pimp) dancing with Foster singing barry white

Born On The 4th Of July just about is ain't it?
Or Wall Street?

Can anyone think of fully subjective movies? I bet there is like 20 that I forgot about. haha

MacGuffin

Doesn't get anymore subjective than this:

You are the camera. Robert Montgomery is really just the voice and hands, and is only seen when looking into mirrors. But all the characters talk directly to you/camera as you/he play Philip Marlowe and try to solve the mystery.

--------------------------------------------------------

Also, the first 10 minutes of "Strange Days".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

There's the Prodigy video Smack My Bitch Up.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure almost is, but I think there's one or two scenes of Francis trying to cover up that he in fact stole the bike.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

children with angels

I'm pretty sure all these meet the critereon: 8 1/2, Fight Club, Memento, Annie Hall, Stardust Memories, Deconstructing Harry, High Fidelity, Wild Strawberries, Barton Fink...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

©brad

just about every one of oliver stone's movies is subjective, eps. natural born killers and any given sunday. requiem for a dream is another.

budgie

I don't understand what you mean by 'subjective'?  :(

©brad

i think he means visually, as far as camera work and what not.

Ghostboy

On the Requiem commentary track, Arronofsky said that the reason he decided to use the split screen effect is because he was looking for a way to be dually subjective.

Xixax

Aren't all movies "totally subjective"?

I mean, let's go back to the Donnie Darko thread. Person "A" thinks it's brilliant, but person "B" thinks it's a big turd.

I suppose I see what you're getting at in this context, but a more accurate description of the kind of films you're thinking of might be "open for interpretation" or something like that.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

children with angels

Aren't we talking about films that are told entirely from one person's point of view, ie: those when the main character is in every scene - we see nothing that they couldn't see...?
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

©brad

yes, i mean there is no such thing as an objective film. if you look at a film like any given sunday, the football sequences are shot very subjectively- the camera is right on the field, it shakes/runs/falls down/flips over like another player.

budgie

I'm still confused. I need DionySuS to clarify.  :oops:

xerxes

Quote from: budgieI'm still confused.

you're not the only one

polkablues

I think in this sense "subjective" means "filtered through the eyes or mind of a character".  Like, "The Brothers McMullen" wouldn't apply, because it's just looking at these characters from the outside, but "Pi", on the other hand, everything we see is in relation to the main character.
My house, my rules, my coffee

RegularKarate

I think what this thread is going for (and I don't think "subjective" is really the right word) is films that stay with the main character and offer only thier P.O.V.

Fight Club is a good example and Seven, though Fincher admits to cheating for just one shot (where Spacey is watching them from in his car.

I don't think Requiem really fits, independant of what Aaronofsky says.

So, technically, Nashville counts because Altman says the main character of the film is the city.