BADLANDS/DAYS OF HEAVEN/THE THIN RED LINE

Started by NEON MERCURY, August 28, 2005, 09:27:26 PM

NEON MERCURY

you know, i am fuckign excited about the new world and if any of ya'll were worth a shit you would be too  :yabbse-wink:.  i recently watched all three of his films as sort of a celebration thing.  i wanted to see what people liked most by malick.  i still cant believe that his first film is considered a fucking classic.  his first film!  so, hes done three films that have been released, and they all are classic.  malick has to be the example or quality over quantity.  and they have to be the most beautifully photographed films ever.  discuss this man.  tell me what you think of hiss hit.  i dont have agood vocabulary , so all i can do is say cheesy cliched adjectives.

related threads:
Terrence Malick
The New World

ono

Badlands only because I haven't seen the other two.  :crimeagainstcinema:

I made comments somewhere else on Badlands, but a quick recap: so poetic.  And these stupid people have something to say, or at least something to teach.  And Musica Poetica is a perfect little ending tune.

soixante

Malick is batting 1.000.  I like Days of Heaven the most, but Badlands and Thin Red Line are classics as well.  I expect New World to be equally great.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Pwaybloe

I liked his early film, "Pull My Daisy."  MY GOD! IS THERE ANYWAY TO FIND THIS MOVIE?

NEON MERCURY

Split Infinitive

Days of Heaven is about the closest I've seen a film come to pure visual poetry while still following a conventional narrative structure.  There wasn't a wasted moment in the entire thing, and I've a strong desire to see it again and again.  Badlands had strong performances and cinematography, but it had little to say and the story simply didn't interest me.  With The Thin Red Line, it felt like Malick established his philosophy within the first half hour, then repeated it for the next two and a half.  Still, it was very watchable, and was a respectable attempt to bring back the "star-studded" war picture.  Can anybody tell me what the big deal is with Badlands?
Please don't correct me. It makes me sick.

Sunrise

Glad to see there is yet another Malick fan surfacing. I go in circles trying to personally rank his films...very similar to when I've tried to rank Kubrick's films. This may be just the excitement of something new, but I'm obsessed with The New World right now. I don't remember having the same type of obsession for The Thin Red Line when it came out, but it certainly grew on me over time to the point where I consider it a masterwork. I consider The New World a masterpiece right out of the gate...I hope it will wear well over time. My hunch is my affection for it will only deepen and take on alternate meanings in the future.

Pozer

Yeah, but we had different frames of minds when Thin Red Line came out didn't we? 

Sunrise

modage

Quote from: Split Infinitive on January 26, 2006, 01:21:30 PM
Can anybody tell me what the big deal is with Badlands?
it's the only malick film i'd ever watch again. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Split Infinitive

Quote from: modage on January 26, 2006, 06:12:05 PM
Quote from: Split Infinitive on January 26, 2006, 01:21:30 PM
Can anybody tell me what the big deal is with Badlands?
it's the only malick film i'd ever watch again. 
Not to sound flippant, but why?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Split Infinitive on January 27, 2006, 12:07:35 AM
Not to sound flippant

I guarantee that if you continue posting here for a while, you will start your sentences out much differently.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Split Infinitive

Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajoob on January 30, 2006, 03:54:17 PM
Quote from: Split Infinitive on January 27, 2006, 12:07:35 AM
Not to sound flippant

I guarantee that if you continue posting here for a while, you will start your sentences out much differently.
Not to sound flippant, but why?

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

JG

i just watched the thin red line and although it was one of the many movies i watched with my dad when i was a youngster, i had almost no recollection of the movie.  its malick and its brilliant and this quote from P sums up why: 

Quotethis was the first and only time where i was overwhelmed by the immediacy of impending mortality, and i freaked out

i dont know why this inspired me to bump the thread cus these days i try my best not to post unless i have nothing new or well thought out to add, but i just had this overwhelming sense of "yes that it is it" and i felt i needed to share. 

malick movies are so intrinsic and so profound and resonant that they're hard to talk about, so what do i possibly say?  i loved the conflict between the unconcious and impulse and the concious and rationale thought and how its all expressed so eloquently and visually and how malick films are cinema in the purest sense, a combination images and sound coalescing into the single greatest art form in the world.   maybe time and perspective will allow me process and understand my relationship to the film, but right now im working on my little review of the new world, a movie which i enjoyed ever more than the magnificent thin red line. 

ah malick, yes yes yes yes.