Capote

Started by MacGuffin, July 10, 2005, 04:53:36 PM

ddmarfield

Quote from: life_boy on November 12, 2005, 01:10:03 PM
Capote avoids many of the "artist biopic" clichés (the "life as greatest hits collection" especially) and just focues on the most defnining event in Capote's life as a writer and human being -- the discovery, research and writing of In Cold Blood

An excellent point. "Capote" works well mainly because it tackles one key life event, and leaves the audience to find out more about Truman Capote on their own time. It's refreshing to see bio-pics such as this or "The Aviator" that realize you can't be all encompassing, and I hope it continues.
"The girls around here all look like Cadillacs" -- Tom Waits

Find Your Magali

I am irked this never came to my area. Didn't want to have to settle for only seeing it on DVD.

Does Hoffman's voice in this film ever get too distracting?

JG

At first I thought it would.  I remember thinking--is he gonna talk like this the whole movie.  But it doesn't distract you.  This is a testament to Hoffman it really is.  If it were a cariacture of Capote, then it would be annoying, but it is such a good performance it doesn't bother you. 

Ghostboy

Hoffman's performance does indeed live up to the hype, but Cliff Curtis is equally good; I hope he gets some recognition as well.

I saw the film once when it first opened, loved it, then read In Cold Blood and then watched it again yesterday and loved it even more. The screenplay is damn near perfect.

JG

i've been wanting to read in cold blood since i've seen the movie but it's checked out at my library. 

Find Your Magali

You could probably get a beat-up copy of the paperback on amazon.com for 99 cents.

hedwig

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on November 05, 2005, 03:02:08 PM
Harper Lee coming up to the drunk, alone Capote at the To Kill a Mockingbird premiere was such a powerful scene.

yeah that was one of my favorite scenes. not only is it a revealing glimpse at his feelings about Lee's (and his own) accomplishments, but also, the story of "To Kill a Mockingbird," about a man fighting to prevent the execution of a person wrongfully accused of murder, sharply contrasts Capote's story during that period of time.

Gamblour.

Maybe I've got my finger on the wrong pulse of the biopic, but I didn't like this at all (compared to Walk the Line, which I loved). This film painfully bored me. I think Capote is an obnoxious, egotistical snob and I really felt no reason to like him. I love Hoffman, but this just didn't do it for me. I think his performance is consistently what it is (I guess I mean it's good) but I just don't like the man. I do agree with GB, Clifton Collins was the best part of this film for me. I just wanted to get to know him, not through Capote. Capote's shallow and easy to see through. I guess you can't like em all. This movie didn't do it for me. But my two friends agreed.
WWPTAD?

Ultrahip

His name is Clifton Collins Jr. Cliff Curtis is the guy in Three Kings and Blow.

MacGuffin

Sony's Capote (street date 3/14, SLP $28.95) will be anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Extras include extended behind-the-scenes documentaries, the Truman Capote featurette, audio commentary with Philip Seymour Hoffman and director Bennett Miller, a second commentary with Miller and screenwriter Dan Futterman and more.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

These new post-nomination tv spots are ridiculous.  They make it sound like some kind of intense thriller... the music is so incredibly over the top.

matt35mm

Especially with Capote on the phone saying: "You will be stunned!" as the music climaxes.

Ravi

Quote from: matt35mm on February 03, 2006, 06:21:48 AM
Especially with Capote on the phone saying: "You will be stunned!" as the music climaxes.

The twist is that Capote is actually dead.

©brad

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on January 02, 2006, 10:29:52 PMI guess you can't like em all. This movie didn't do it for me. But my two friends agreed.

i'm a little confused by the word "But" in that last sentence. i don't think it needs to be there, unless you meant to write "But my two friends disagreed."

does anyone else agree?