The 40-Year-Old Virgin

Started by MacGuffin, June 09, 2005, 08:03:48 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Weak2ndActPlus, how could you go wrong with that ending?

I think that's what they told each other to justify the lack of everything else throughout the movie.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

deathnotronic

Quote from: ewardthe best movie so far this year

(AND YOU THINK I'M JOKING)

no but i'm hoping.

Alethia

100% serious.  i dont even give a shit either.  say whatever you want, i have not laughed harder at a movie than this one in a long long time.  and i was honestly moved at the end when

SPOILERS

he finally tells her he is a virgin.  the way he just spills it was absolutely perfect.  i'd put steve carrell in anything...

JG

the way he explained his weekend and the egg salad he wanted to eat was just priceless.

Alethia

modage

Judd Apatow Goes Romantic Again
Universal has acquired an romantic comedy pitch that "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" Director Judd Apatow is writing and will direct reports Variety.

Planned for a start next spring, the film will be populated by many of Apatow's "Virgin" collaborators. That includes Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann. Apatow describes his untitled project as "an offbeat romantic comedy" but wouldn't divulge more other than to say its cost will be comparable to the $26 million "Virgin" budget.

Having worked as a writer or producer on films with Carell, Jim Carrey, Ben Stiller and Will Ferrell, Apatow said he thinks it's high time the 23-year-old Rogen (who co-produced "Virgin") got a break. Apatow will cast the female lead while he is writing and fill the supporting roles with actors he's worked with on various TV shows.

edited: for P's approval. :yabbse-grin:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i still can't believe that apatow has a big hit on his hands.  and this is how quickly that translates to power in hollywood.  movie is out 2 weeks at #1, "alright what else do you got?!"

Quote from: Walrus Deluxe
Quotehave you seen Undeclared?
Would that somehow make me like the movie more?
hey Walrus, SEE UNDECLARED.  i just re-watched the first two episodes for the first time since they aired.  its good.  its really good.  very accurate portrayal of college...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

u might want to start sticking them lines in to separate the articles and ur comments again, mod, that is if u want anyone to read them. cos honestly that's the selling point to me: read the article to get to mod's comments.  :yabbse-thumbup:
under the paving stones.

meatwad

Quote from: modage
Quote from: Walrus Deluxe
Quotehave you seen Undeclared?
Would that somehow make me like the movie more?
hey Walrus, SEE UNDECLARED.  i just re-watched the first two episodes for the first time since they aired.  its good.  its really good.  very accurate portrayal of college...

and you should see freaks and geeks. and the larry sanders show. and the ben stiller show. and the critic.

The Red Vine

I just had to see this movie again. Very funny even on the second time. One of the funniest scenes was when that woman is talking to Andy in the store:

"I'm very discreet, but I'll haunt your dreams....."
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

modage

Quote from: GaramI saw it last night. I expected a frat pack shitfest a la Old School, Starsky and Hutch etc.
DUDE!??  does anybody know Apatow's pedigree!?

that'd be like me renting PDL and being like i expected another Adam Sandler shitfest a la Waterboy and 50 First Dates, but i was pleasantly surprised that it was a neat little film.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

Quote from: modage
Quote from: GaramI saw it last night. I expected a frat pack shitfest a la Old School, Starsky and Hutch etc.
DUDE!??  does anybody know Apatow's pedigree!?
haha, well it's garam. he's seen enough Old vs School vs Starsky vs Hutch movies in his time that he can be sure a comedic film won't hold anything new for him. u know, especially when the creative team involved collectively have um let's see: The Daily Show, Freaks and Geeks, Undeclared, The Dana Carvey Show, The Critic, The Ben Stiller Show, and The Larry Sanders Show under their belt.. so what if he was only 9 when some of those were around?

never forget, he's seen it all.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

Quote from: GaramRead the post above, smart ass.
ok, now what?

Quote from: GaramI love how you always bring age into things like it matters at all.
like that one other time i brought it up? just that once? 1, now 2. always you say, i guess they haven't taught you complex numbers like 3, or 4 yet. so it's understandable you're confusing 2 with infinity.

Quote from: GaramVery clever, jackass,
thank you

Quote from: Garamand that sarcasm is just hilarious, let me tell you.
thank you

Quote from: GaramApatow isn't a household name in the UK.
that's interesting, he's not a household name anywhere else either.

Quote from: GaramAnd, have you ever heard of reruns?
yes, but i fail to see what track & field has to do with this.

Quote from: GaramOr dvds?
uh..

Quote from: GaramIt's not really hard to catch up on past seasons of tv shows in this new world of fabtactular technology, you know.
and yet u remained oblivious to the talent in this movie.
under the paving stones.

The Red Vine

Quote from: GaramI forfeit as it's not really worth it. Have fun feeling superior or something.

Pubrick might be a dick...but that girl in his avatar is hot
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: RedVinesPubrick might be a dick...but that girl in his avatar is hot
Who is that anyway?

We don't get reruns or dvds here so I remain oblivious to the talent in his avatar.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Myxo

Saw this on Tuesday night. It was built up way too much for me. I enjoyed it, but was expecting a different comedy. In my opinion, the whole "gets the girl in the end" thing is really boring now. I loved the Indian guys working at Smart Tech though. :lol:

"What are we, Al-Qaeda or something? Fuck you!"