The 40-Year-Old Virgin

Started by MacGuffin, June 09, 2005, 08:03:48 PM

Ghostboy

Quote from: Brown WalrusI found myself asking the person next to me what time it was more often than laughing.

I'd glad I wasn't the one who had to sit next to you, then.

The Red Vine

I enjoyed it (probably more than Wedding Crashers actually). It's very funny and entertaining, even if the ending is a little cheesy.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

modage

Walrus, you're review was like a GT review as written by me.  have you seen Undeclared?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I'm NOT sure how funny it will be

BUT!!!

The reason behind this is the 2 episodes of UNDECLARED I watched that just weren't that funny. At all.  See, the beauty of FREAKS & GEEKS was that it was funny, yet dramatic, a la The Wonder Years.  Yet with an hour-long comedy like that the jokes didn't have to be forced in quick and nobody complained if there wasn't a happy ending.

HOPE BEHIND THIS MOVIE:

Loved Freaks & Geeks, Seth Rogen being everyone's favorite cast member (actually, we loved all the characters, but hold a li'l candle for truth-speaking Ken.)   Then there's The Daily Show, where for a period of about a year Steve Carrell was the FUCKING FUNNIEST ANCHOR on the show.  I still remember when he had a report on how to beat the heat. He stood there in his suit and said "Maybe try on some lighter clothes" when there appeared a tank top and Short Shorts on the man.  "Some ask: how short can I wear my shorts? Not short enough!"
   *Sigh* Considering the Hollywood machine, he may never get to be as funny as he was on TDS while getting the attention he deserves.  But those are some reasons I am looking forward to this movie.

And...of course....we all Love the concept.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: modageWalrus, you're review was like a GT review as written by me.

Is that a good thing?

Quotehave you seen Undeclared?

Would that somehow make me like the movie more?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

as far as the 'is it a comedy is it a drama' it may have helped to see that Apatow's style is generally trying to ground his comedy in realistic characters.  so yeah, it might've.  i don't think he quite got the right balance either with the film BUT i still thought it was really funny.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I understand a movie that can bounce back and forth between comedy and drama, but to me the jokes were dry, and the characters were far too static to relate.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

noyes

wow. this movie is NOT as funny as everyone is making it out to be.
yes, it has some funny parts but it's mostly mediocre curse-comedy.
steve carrell is pretty good in his first movie role and paul rudd is paul rudd and those other dudes were those other dudes. but yeah. it's alright. nothing special. and the ending.. what the fuck was that? it totally killed the whole thing. sorry. i just don't find that dancing, singing shit funny.
south america's my name.

modage

you mean leading role?  i don't know that anybody raved that it was THAT funny, did they?

72teeth

David Manning said, "It was looking in to the face of God!"
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: modagei don't know that anybody raved that it was THAT funny, did they?

Quote from: cinephileits a good, fun movie

Quote from: raviI haven't laughed this hard at a movie in a long time

Quote from: gamblorThis movie was so fucking hilarious.

Quote from: slick shoesyeah this movie was awesome. i will be seeing it again.

Quote from: andykvery funny

Quote from: redvineIt's very funny and entertaining

modage

Weak2ndAct

I'll chime in: yes, it's the hardest I've laughed at a comedy in a long, long time.  Yeah, the laughs drop off a bit by act 3, but it still sidestepped so many lame pitfalls that it still works.  Plus, how could you go wrong with that ending?

The Red Vine

Quote from: modagealright 3 raves.

and 87% on the tomato meter :yabbse-grin:
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

Alethia

the best movie so far this year

(AND YOU THINK I'M JOKING)