Pride And Prejudice

Started by MacGuffin, May 31, 2005, 09:30:20 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date:  September 23rd, 2005

Starring: Keira Knightley, Matthew MacFadyen, Rosamund Pike, Jena Malone, Donald Sutherland, Judi Dench, Brenda Blethyn, Claudie Blakley, Cornelius Booth, Rupert Friend, Tom Hollander, Tamzin Merchant, Kelly Reilly, Carey Mulligan, Penelope Wilton, Talulah Riley, Simon Woods, Peter Wright  

Director: Joe Wright  

Screenwriter: Deborah Moggach

Based On The Novel By: Jane Austen

Premise: An opinionated young woman and an arrogant, rich snob overcome their initial antipathy and various other social obstacles to fall in love.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffinJudi Dench

Well, duh.

The Red Vine

This is getting really strong reviews surprisingly. With the exception of the Miramax Oscar look from the trailer, it might be pretty decent.
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

RegularKarate

I thought this was really well-done, if a bit long. Wright did a great job establishing the time period. It's a pretty predictable Hollywood story though.

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate on November 13, 2005, 04:06:53 PM
It's a pretty predictable Hollywood story though.

I can't tell if you're being ironic or not.
My house, my rules, my coffee

hedwig

I heard Jane Austen originally wanted to make this on film but couldn't find the financial backing so she went with the written word instead.

Thank god its finally been made the way it was always supposed to be, can't wait to see it.

72teeth

anyone else having de ja vu...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Ghostboy

I really liked this. And the technical aspects of it are amazing - some really stunning steadicam shots, and equally proficient usage of zoom lenses. Mix that with some refined dolly work, and it comes across as if Altman and Kubrick had collaborated on a Jane Austen adaptation.

Ravi

Quote from: Ghostboy on November 26, 2005, 03:12:41 AM
as if Altman and Kubrick had collaborated on a Jane Austen adaptation.

Best recommendation for the film yet.  Now I actually want to see this.

modage

Quote from: Ravi on November 26, 2005, 01:19:47 PM
Quote from: Ghostboy on November 26, 2005, 03:12:41 AM
as if Altman and Kubrick had collaborated on a Jane Austen adaptation.

Best recommendation for the film yet.  Now I actually want to see this.
i was going to quote that and say 'the sound of 100 xixaxers actually seeing this now...'
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

This is one of my favorite films of the year. If I give into making a top ten list for the year, this one will mark very high.

I was reluctant to see this film. One, the adaptation of a famous novel always unnerves me and two, I never thought a Jane Austin adaptation could get much better than Sense and Sensibility. Wrong on both accounts. This film grabs the nuance of a novel as well as any I know of. The first sections are details of decor and lifestyle. When characters begin to take shape into a story, they aren't as pronouced as in Sense and Sensibility. The story is the true character of this film. Notice the focus of Keira Knightely at the beginning. Truely the stand out for screen time, the camera never fully projects her to be the star of the film. The camera work is shifty and mainly following action and when it stops, she is a face amongst many (usually her sisters) in the story. Through out the majority of the film, only in certain scenes is she given extended time to singularily pronouce herself and thats during an act of defiance. As the film positions itself into a love story for her does the editing slow down to try to capture the nuances of what her character represents because she is falling in love. The usual thing that would have been done is that her character would have been singled out and fully understood from the beginning. The filmmaking goes for the nuances of filmming her as a person in the crowd but more importantly in a larger story. The comment of Altman and Kubrick is almost correct with one exception: the filmmaking never takes center stage here. It never is its own character. For those guys it is. For this film it is keeping the film off balance enough for the stereotypes of star performances not to have an effect as the camera truly fluctuates to the momentum of the story. Its really a great piece of work and the music was always well pronouced at the right time. A few moments are too cinematic for the story, but a great film. I can't wait to see it again.

As for the acting of Keira Knightely, I know no one else would have been right for the role. Judi Dench can slip into these characters like a glove. She is a natural for this role as is Keira Knightely. It does not speak for extension of one's self the way a Robert Duvall seems to do for every character, but a delight to watch because she is perfect for the role.

noyes

one of the best, dare i say, "chick flicks" i've seen.. probably ever.
amazingly crafted, great story, great performances.
go out and watch it.
south america's my name.

modage

Title: Pride & Prejudice
Released: 28th February 2006
SRP: $29.98

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has released early details on Pride & Prejudice which stars Keira Knightley, Matthew MacFadyen, Donald Sutherland and Judi Dench. The disc will be available to own from the 28th February, and should set you back around $29.98. The film itself will be presented in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English, French and Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround tracks. I'm afraid that Universal has yet to reveal the extra material for this one, but we'll bring you further details very shortly.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

I'll add my thumbs up to the pile.  Agreed about the technical aspects, they were marvelous, and yet never called so much attention to itself that it ever took me out of the story.

The movie felt very immediate, very revelant somehow.  That's why I wouldn't categorize it as Masterpiece Theatre.  This was grittier, like I was thrown into this world.  Almost like using Saving Private Ryan techniques for Jane Austen (not to an inappropriate degree, of course).  It's not a soft movie.

Another point... I kinda want to say that this was more an adaptation for men.  Before I saw this, I was told by several women that parts of it, especially the last scene, delved into extremely cheesy territory.  I was happy to find that I didn't think the ending was cheesy at all.  My reasoning is that the last lines in the movie are not so much what women want to hear as it is what men want to say.  That was Darcy's moment.  Donald Sutherland has a few standout moments as well, each of which are moments that would be important to a man.  This, and what I said before about it not being soft, is why I don't really find this to be a chick flick--my hypothesis is that men would enjoy it more than women, on the whole.  Or at least, the only negative comments I've gotten were from women.

Another even greater point... Kelly Reilly, the red-headed English actress who plays Catherine Bingley.  MY GOD MAN!  I found her to be quite attractive, myself, despite the rotten character she played.  ... or maybe because of...

The producers must've had a tough time convincing anyone to be involved with this movie, but I'd say it paid off quite nicely.  I hope the word of mouth continues to grow.  The film deserves it.

A-