A History of Violence

Started by MacGuffin, May 16, 2005, 05:33:12 PM

Gamblour.

Well it's a tale of morality that becomes overshadowed by amorality. I think that's the point. His history starts manifesting itself into his present life. I dunno, I can't really answer such a statement without specific examples. A general, academic summation doesn't work for me.
WWPTAD?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote"The problem is Cronenberg has made a morality tale without infusing a lick of morality into it."

That seems to be Cronenberg's style, though.

Very dark, twisted versions of a message that could be said in a much cleaner way.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reinhold

i saw it last night.

spoiler

i would have liked to see the the eyes of his family members instead of just his at the end. for me, the story wasn't nearly as much about him as it was about his family.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

matt35mm

I'll just say that it was very effective for me.  It was a good yarn told well--PLUS some moments of mad genius that Cronenberg really does best.  Some of the most effective use of violence I've seen.  Lots of great suspense.  I also really like seeing realistic sex, especially when it absolutely fits the moment and the characters (plus they're married--so it's extra sweet).  I know it carries a "raunchy" stigma, but I find realistic sex to be quite lovely, and healthy for cinema (American cinema especially)... if that makes sense.

I don't think Hurt should have been nominated (not that he wasn't good, it was just... essentially an extended cameo), and I forget if Maria Bello was nominated or not, but I thought she was fantastic in this.  I think the role was solid enough that any decent actress could get something good out of it, but I really admired just how fully Bello threw herself into the part.

I didn't care for the child acting, but that's hardly worth mentioning.

This is out on DVD now, and with the XIXAX Awards going on, I certainly think this deserves a viewing by those who haven't seen it before nominating.

Well done.

A-.

NEON MERCURY

i just sucking cronenbergs dick again...after spider, i was like damn, that was a mature peice of work...crafted so creepily...then he lays this on me...and i was floored...you just got to love a film that makes you cheer when you see people inflict just cause violence on each other instead of wince...great morality play..and i will take viggo seriously for now on...and i think bello would play a fantastic alchoholic...even more than my used up laura dern..

Sunrise

Quote from: pyramid machine on March 23, 2006, 09:14:30 PMyou just got to love a film that makes you cheer when you see people inflict just cause violence on each other instead of wince...great morality play

But how long were you cheering? The gut reaction is you do feel excited by the "just cause" violence...but any good feelings of justification seem to fade almost instantly. At least that was the reaction I had (especially seeing it the theater the first time around).

Spoilers--It's like when Jack shoots Fogarty in the back with the shotgun. Woohoo he saved the day...just cause violence. But a second later he becomes very uncomfortable with his actions. He knows he can't get a do-over...he has killed someone and that's never going away.--End Spoilers

Other than my confusion with your statement, however, I also love this film. Viggo essentially plays two roles...and does it brilliantly.

Sunrise

Quote from: Lucid on March 29, 2006, 10:47:46 PM
Great film, worth multiple viewings.

Couldn't agree more. I certainly didn't sufficiently appreciate the subtleties in Viggo's performance the first time around. It's extraordinary.

Interesting choice of words by Cronenberg...complicit in the violence. I'll have to check out those features.