A History of Violence

Started by MacGuffin, May 16, 2005, 05:33:12 PM

modage

this is good, but i was hoping for great.

NOTICE: everyone keep your hopes in check!

the problem with the film was that the first 3/4 was pretty much all in the trailer except for a few exquisite shots of gore (boy does he excell at those).  at a certain point though when i thought hte movie was going to end i was like "uh oh, waitaminute!  we haven't seen william hurt yet (from the credits)!"  so that was a bit of a holy shit!  but its good, in a small-ish quiet way.  nothing to go crazy over.  C+
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

in order to keep me in check was it better/worse than spider in your opinion?

samsong

i will go so far as to call this film a masterpiece, a term (or word, rather) i use to describe both spider and crash as well, although a history of violence is the least of the three.

meaning... that cronenberg is 3 for 4 of what i've seen of his.  existenz (i'm not even going to try), i did not like.

the film's fantastic and handled with such confidence and grace.  beautifully constructed art-film-as-mainstream-entertainment that i absolutely loved.  i fucking love cronenberg.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: samsongi will go so far as to call this film a masterpiece, a term (or word, rather) i use to describe both spider and crash as well, although a history of violence is the least of the three.

meaning... that cronenberg is 3 for 4 of what i've seen of his.  existenz (i'm not even going to try), i did not like.

the film's fantastic and handled with such confidence and grace.  beautifully constructed art-film-as-mainstream-entertainment that i absolutely loved.  i fucking love cronenberg.

You haven't seen Dead Ringers, Videodrome or Naked Lunch and you're calling his films masterpieces?

Prepare for a mindblow.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Ronen

-R
cinemalog.net

Pas

I tought this was good. It wasn't as Cronenbergish, as I expected somehow.

Didn't kick as much ass as expected though. That's it, short review. It's worth a see.

UPDATE

After the movie endend, there was a wave of laughter. Also, in first sex scene, the audience was very tense it was weird.

Quote from: RonenI interviewed Cronenberg about A History of Violence:

http://www.buzzscope.com/features.php?id=1124#1

Haha how come no one responded to that... I interviewed Cronenberg about A History of Violence:

Next time, interview PTA and I'll guess people here will cream their pants more. But still, Cronenberg, that's awesome.

Pas

A new Cronenberg comes out and there is a mere 2 pages of discussion about it ? God...allright I'll try to spark a discussion.

I'd say David Cronenberg is a poor man's David Lynch.

:shock:

Pubrick

Quote from: Pas Rap
Quote from: RonenI interviewed Cronenberg about A History of Violence:

http://www.buzzscope.com/features.php?id=1124#1

Haha how come no one responded to that... I interviewed Cronenberg about A History of Violence:
haha, maybe it's the same reason no one cares about mutinyco's interviews. worse even cos at least ppl know who mutinyco is.
under the paving stones.

abuck1220

i was really excited about this, but i ended up disappointed. it seems like he's trying to say something about darwinism and violence, but, whatever it was, it didn't strike a chord with me.

if you want to see maria bello 69 in a cheerleader outfit, however, this is the movie for you.

modage

Quote from: modagethis is good, but i was hoping for great.
NOTICE: everyone keep your hopes in check!
C+
i tried to warn you.  :(
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

Quote from: abuck1220

if you want to see maria bello 69 in a cheerleader outfit, however, this is the movie for you.

This was so much the best part of the film that I'd point it out as a spoiler

mutinyco

Quote from: Pubrickhaha, maybe it's the same reason no one cares about mutinyco's interviews. worse even cos at least ppl know who mutinyco is.

P, you should've used that bait with the fuzzy orange thing on it. If I'd offered something here, it might've been justified. As I didn't, this is more an expression of your own subconscious. Go get some fresh air.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

mogwai

Pas

Quote from: mutinyco
Quote from: Pubrickhaha, maybe it's the same reason no one cares about mutinyco's interviews. worse even cos at least ppl know who mutinyco is.

P, you should've used that bait with the fuzzy orange thing on it. If I'd offered something here, it might've been justified. As I didn't, this is more an expression of your own subconscious. Go get some fresh air.

I don't understand that post :yabbse-undecided:

hedwig

Quote from: Pas Rap
Quote from: mutinyco

(1) P, you should've used that bait with the fuzzy orange thing on it.

(2) If I'd offered something here, it might've been justified.

(3) As I didn't, this is more an expression of your own subconscious.

(4) Go get some fresh air.

I don't understand that post :yabbse-undecided:

hmm, i interpreted it as such:

(1) P, stop trying to  start shit. it's not working.

(2) if I'd actually contributed to this particular thread, perhaps that may have warranted an insult/comment from you.

(3) but i didn't. so this is more about you, not me.

(4) Fuck off