Match Point

Started by MacGuffin, May 13, 2005, 06:53:47 AM

MacGuffin

A drama set in London? Just a thought Allen had
The famously New York-centric writer-director travels across the pond for "Match Point." Source: Los Angeles Times

CANNES, France — The reporters revealed their film-theory backgrounds and desire for symbolism, but Woody Allen resisted all attempts to categorize his new film.

"Match Point" is a drama set in London with an almost completely British cast, the exception being Scarlett Johansson, that revolves around the familiar Allen themes of passion, betrayal and consequences. But no, the writer-director insisted, it does not mark the end of his infatuation with New York, a personal trend away from comedy or toward sensuality, an homage to "A Place in the Sun" or a cynicism about the nature of justice.

"I write the idea that occurs to me," he said at a news conference Thursday following an early morning screening of the film. "My films are done much more by chance than by design than people seem to think."

One by one, journalists, mostly from the U.K. and the U.S., ignored the cast members present — Johansson, Emily Mortimer and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers — to ask the director rather esoteric questions that seemed more about where "Match Point" fit in the Allen oeuvre, and what it signified to his future, than the film itself. And one by one, Allen answered with the bottom-line pragmatism of a veteran filmmaker.

He made the film in London, he said, because the conditions there were more conducive to creativity. Although he has no problem getting financing in the U.S., he said, studios have become increasingly meddlesome.

"They want a say in casting, they want to see the script, sometimes they come to dailies," he said. "I've never worked that way. I want the money in a brown paper bag and then I'll give them a film a few months later. In London it went more that way."

The cast was British because of the tax laws, and the moment he found out it did not have to be 100% British, he cast Johansson, who, he said, was fortunately available. "She was willing to work for little money. The budget is small and we're very democratic — everyone gets nothing."

The story follows a poor Irish tennis pro as he enters the cozy rich environs of a British upper-class family, and involves more sex — Johansson and Rhys-Meyers have scenes that involve rain-soaked blouses and baby oil — and violence than a typical Allen film. But, he points out, compared to most films today, it is still quite discreet. "To me, this is a crime story," he said. "I was interested in the crime and the characters filled themselves in."

Without giving too much away, many viewers felt there were similarities to "A Place in the Sun" and other films as well as to Allen's own "Crimes and Misdemeanors," similarities Allen dismissed. "This film is about luck and ambition, quite a bit about luck, and passion."

The story could very well have been set in San Francisco or New York or Paris, he said, but he liked working with the cast members because they were such fine actors "and for some reason whatever British or Irish or Australians, whether it's their delivery or training or genetics, but it all sounds just great to me."

Blinking a bit in front of the bright lights and asking that many questions be repeated "because I'm a little hard of hearing," Allen was clearly happy to answer all questions, even the ones that seemed more like a film student thesis than a question. But he wanted to be clear that most of his decisions are made from practical need rather than from some overarching philosophy — although he acknowledged the influence 19th-century Russian literature and his own observation of widespread injustice had on his main characters and the story's ending.

"I never think I am cynical in general," he said. "Cynicism, to me, is an alternate spelling for reality. It is clear to every thinking person that an enormous amount of crime goes unpunished or even is rewarded. I don't think that's cynical."

His own creative impulse is also based on need. "I need the distraction," he said. "If I don't make them, I don't have distraction from depression and general terror. It's like patients in a mental institution — give them something to do like basket weaving and it soothes them."

"Match Point" was well-received at the press screening (it premieres tonight). Allen thinks it turned out rather well and the whole experience of working in London was so satisfactory — "the weather was cool, the sky gray; perfect for me" — that he will return this summer to shoot an as-yet untitled movie, also with Johansson, who some are dubbing Allen's new muse. But no matter how this movie does, or where it fits in the grand scheme of "cinema, subset Woody Allen," Allen will continue to do what he's always done: write stories he finds interesting and turn them into movies.

"And if people come and like it, I'm glad. But if they don't, I still have the benefit of living in an unreal world for a year."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

DreamWorks nets Allen's 'Match Point'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Woody Allen has found a home for his dark relationship thriller "Match Point," which screened Out of Competition at the Festival de Cannes. The New York auteur is back in business with DreamWorks, which has picked up North American rights for $4 million.

"I've always had enormous respect and affection for the people at DreamWorks, and their enthusiasm over my film makes me feel absolutely certain we chose the right people to distribute it," Allen said.

The first film Allen has shot in England, "Match Point" stars Jonathan Rhys Meyers as a social-climbing tennis instructor who marries into a wealthy family. Scarlett Johansson, Emily Mortimer, Matthew Goode, Brian Cox and Penelope Wilton also star. The movie was among the best-reviewed in Cannes; many Croisette observers believed that if Allen had agreed to submit the drama in Competition, it might have snagged the Palme d'Or.

Hanway Films, Allen's sales agents, had been looking to sell the BBC Films co-production for as much as $10 million, several North American buyers said. But while many considered the film Allen's best in years, they also said the director's name might mean less at the boxoffice than it did during the Oscar winner's prime.

Fox Searchlight, which released Allen's most recent film, "Melinda and Melinda," did not make a bid. But according to sources at DreamWorks, the company beat out a higher bid from the Weinstein Co. Reps for the Weinstein Co. had no comment at press time.

There were offers as well from Focus Features and Sony Pictures Classics. Allen opted for the DreamWorks' bid -- even if it was not the highest offer on the table -- because of his interest in teaming again with DreamWorks.

In 2000, Allen forged a three-picture deal with DreamWorks, which released "Small Time Crooks," followed by 2001's "The Curse of the Jade Scorpion" and 2002's "Hollywood Ending." After hearing the critical buzz in Cannes, DreamWorks marketing chief Terry Press returned to Los Angeles and asked to screen the dramatic thriller, which has a darker tone than Allen's comedies. On her recommendation, DreamWorks co-founder Steven Spielberg, chief operating officer Rick Sands and production executive Adam Goodman decided to pursue the acquisition.

Sands, who joined DreamWorks this year, worked with Allen at Miramax Films, which released "Celebrity," "Everyone Says I Love You," "Mighty Aphrodite" and "Bullets Over Broadway." "The film screened fabulously in Cannes," Sands said of "Match Point." "We enjoy being in business with auteurs and major directors like Woody Allen."

Press, who persuaded the media-averse Allen to attend his first Academy Awards ceremony in 2002, plans to pursue the top film festivals in the fall as well as launch an Oscar campaign, which will include a push for Johansson as best supporting actress. Press believes audiences recognize that Allen not only directs comedies but also more serious dramas such as "Crimes and Misdemeanors" and "Interiors."

"The tone of this movie is classic Hollywood moviemaking with a twist," she said. "It's a movie for adults that will work on a grass-roots level like 'Crash.' The cast is very appealing. The movie sells itself."

"Match Point" is a BBC Films and Thema Prods. presentation of a Jada production, written and directed by Allen, produced by Letty Aronson, Gareth Wiley and Lucy Darwin, with Helen Robin and Nicky Kentish Barnes co-producing. Executive producer is Stephen Tenenbaum, with Jack Rollins and Charles H. Joffe serving as co-executive producers.

The deal was negotiated by DreamWorks' Sands, Hanway Film's Tim Haslon and Aronson.

Allen is preparing to shoot his second London film this year, also starring his current muse, Johansson.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

I'm really excited for this movie.

Stefen

I haven't even watched Allens last 10 or so movies cause they just look so bad. But the fact that he shot this in england is encouraging. A different setting can work wonders. He was taken out of his comfort zone and that is very key. But with Allen, he wasn't ever really about directing to me, just writing, then making that writing happen. This interests me, big time.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Trailer

Release Date: TBA 2005 (limited)

Cast: Alexander Armstrong, Morne Botes (Michael), Brian Cox, Matthew Goode (Tom Hewitt), Scarlett Johansson (Nola Rice), Rose Keegan (Carol), Eddie Marsan (Reeves), Emily Mortimer (Chloe), James Nesbitt, Steve Pemberton (DI Parry), Miranda Raison (Heather), Jonathan Rhys-Meyers (Chris Wilton), Colin Salmon, Zoe Telford (Samantha)

Director: Woody Allen (Melinda & Melinda, Anything Else, Hollywood Ending)

Screenwriter: Woody Allen

Premise: Chris Wilton, a young tennis instructor, begins teaching a member of a wealthy English family. This leads to his rise in the world of upper class people and his subsequent romantic involvement with two women. A clandestine affair follows, leading him into an ever deepening quagmire until the only way out for him is to contemplate doing away with one of the women.

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

cool, crimes and misdemeanors with hotter women.
I dunno if it's a good or bad thing that this movie looks and sounds nothing like a woody film.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

sickfins

dear woody allen,

what

fins

Ghostboy

You can tell that it will be a great movie, because everyone knows Woody Allen would never use such lame cliched thriller music in one of his movies and that's the only problem with the trailer.

Kal

yeah well.. its definetly not a woody allen trailer... but maybe he is pulling the same trick they did with the shining!

modage

Quote from: andykyeah well.. its definetly not a woody allen trailer... but maybe he is pulling the same trick they did with the shining!
i was just thinking that.  these are definitely marketing cousins.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

good lord. it's just so...trite. making out in a field of wheat or whatever? fuck that. and did the make those credits with imovie?
WWPTAD?

cine

Quote from: Gamblourmaking out in a field of wheat or whatever? fuck that.
oh i know! who DOES that?!    ...

Quote from: Gamblourand did the make those credits with imovie?
have you seen his credits in his other films?

c'mon gamblor..... c'mon...

Gamblour.

have i misstepped somehow? i just woke up to go to work, so i'm not understanding much of anything right now. i have no time for your playful brand of patronizing sarcasm. haha
WWPTAD?

cine

maybe shower before you post cause it'll WAKE YOUR ASS UP.  :yabbse-thumbup:

Gamblour.

Hmm, i stand by my sleepy comments. Cinephile is a rouser of rabble.
WWPTAD?