Broken Flowers

Started by Ultrahip, April 29, 2005, 06:11:32 PM

Alethia

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: ewardjarmusch sucks.

except mystery train.
u make a compelling argument.

lol nah, he's just too much of a hipster for me.  too distant, i think.  his films don't have any heart or real emotion to them, at least not that i can see.  except mystery train, that was the only one i was actually entertained by.  plus, judging from certain things ive read, he seems like kind of a dick.  but i don't know him so whatever.

mutinyco

Mystery Train is the template for Pulp Fiction. Even the continuous DJ was used in Reservoir Dogs.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

mogwai

Quote from: mutinycoMystery Train is the template for Pulp Fiction. Even the continuous DJ was used in Reservoir Dogs.
gesundheit!

RegularKarate

Quote from: ewardhis films don't have any heart or real emotion to them

Ridiculous.

And I think Jarmusch is way into his own thing to be considered a "hipster".  And I've heard him speak a few times and met him once and he didn't seem the least bit like a dick.

polkablues

"Dead Man" is almost nothing but heart and real emotion.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: polkablues"Dead Man" is almost nothing but heart and real emotion.
i heard he wrote the screenplay with his blood.
under the paving stones.

Alethia

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: ewardhis films don't have any heart or real emotion to them

Ridiculous.

And I think Jarmusch is way into his own thing to be considered a "hipster".  And I've heard him speak a few times and met him once and he didn't seem the least bit like a dick.

yeah, i take back the dick comment...but why is my opinion of his films ridiculous?  

not one jarmusch film has ever moved me or affected me in any sort of way.  mystery train just didn't bore me to death like his others.  and actually, i forgot about this, i did anjoy a couple segments of coffee and cigarettes, but that's it.  i could say the fact that you think his movies have nothing but heart and emotion is fucking ridiculous, but i wont, because i know it's not.

just to be fair, i haven't seen dead man, but i don't imagine i'll get around to it anyime soon so i'll just let that be.

but as for the hipster thing, in my eyes he most definitely is.

also, if i sounded like i'm against people liking his films i apologize.  it's totally cool if you do,  i (and mod) just don't really dig him.

abuck1220

i've always thought of jarmusch as a guy that you loved or hated...or 'got' or didn't 'get'. i guess i just 'get' him...in the same way i don't 'get' de palma.

i really liked this. it was pretty slow, but i think it kinda had to be...i was never bored.  

spoilers...

from when murray woke up in the car up until the cemetary scene...great stuff...really sad...didn't know murray had it in him. that's some of his best work.

so...who mailed the letter? thoughts?

RegularKarate

Quote from: abuck1220

I thought you "got" Jarmusch

abuck1220

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: abuck1220

I thought you "got" Jarmusch

i know it seems pretty obvious, but i'm not 100% buying it. no need to be a dick.

RegularKarate

I didn't realize that it seemed 100% obvious... I just thought it seemed that it 100% didn't matter

abuck1220

Quote from: RegularKarateI didn't realize that it seemed 100% obvious... I just thought it seemed that it 100% didn't matter

sorry...geez.

fulty

Quote from: abuck1220spoilers...

I thought it was very clever how every encounter with the X's was left with uncertanty about that.
Of course, that seems to be the intent of the movie, to show what it's like to wonder, and not know the answer...not only who, but even if.

My vote goes to his young current girlfriend.
She has access to faraway mail boxes.
She picked out the letter as being from one of his "X" girlfriends just as she was leaving him.
She wanted him to commit to a family life.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

w/o horse

It was egh.  Jarmusch speed walking; I've seen the man run.  When the camera was tracking with the mail lady in the beginning I was already nervous.  The characters were there, the Jarmusch feeling was there, but the time and involvement simply wasn't.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

Eddo

Garfield II, anyone?
no different enough