Saw II

Started by MacGuffin, April 26, 2005, 08:14:41 PM

modage

Quote from: RedVines
Quote from: macageFinger ads for 'Saw II' get thumbs down

In an announcement released Friday, the MPAA said its Advertising Administration, which reviews all advertising and publicity materials submitted by producers and distributors for a film rating, had not approved the material.

If it had, it would have found that "materials for the film 'Saw II' (that) display dismembered fingers . . . is unacceptable under Advertising Administration standards."

oh yeah, dismembered feet and hands on the posters of the original is so much better
yeah i checked that but its only 'implied dismemberment' on the Saw 1 poster.  they don't show any actual detachment.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Quote from: modage
Quote from: RedVines
Quote from: macageFinger ads for 'Saw II' get thumbs down

In an announcement released Friday, the MPAA said its Advertising Administration, which reviews all advertising and publicity materials submitted by producers and distributors for a film rating, had not approved the material.

If it had, it would have found that "materials for the film 'Saw II' (that) display dismembered fingers . . . is unacceptable under Advertising Administration standards."

oh yeah, dismembered feet and hands on the posters of the original is so much better
yeah i checked that but its only 'implied dismemberment' on the Saw 1 poster.  they don't show any actual detachment.
Also, the fingers on the second poster are used somewhat more comically.  I guess that makes it worse.  Maybe it doesn't make a difference to the MPAA, I don't know.

Kal

Wendy's anyone?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

72teeth

"There will be blood..." well there goes that title...
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

matt35mm

Quote from: MacGuffin
Oh no!  Somebody cracked their nails!  How horrible!

As far as I can see, that's the only thing going on in that poster.  I assume that those fingers are attached to a totally healthy and fine person.  Maybe doing the "two in the pink..." sign, which is just wrong.  How could the MPAA let this happen?

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

I haven't seen Saw, but I saw Saw II and it wasn't scary or suspenseful.  I suppose we're supposed to automatically care for the characters because they're in a deadly situation but I didn't because there's no reason to.  The dialogue is as boilerplate as it could be, which wouldn't matter if this film was at least a little thrilling to watch.

ShanghaiOrange

In all honesty, this was probably the best movie I've ever seen.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

NEON MERCURY

this film was fucking great.  if you hate it then you are a douche bag.  it has bad acting bad dialogue.  but great gore/voilence/blood and a stupid twist that so ridiculous that i loved it.  plus, it  had that goth chick w/ the fucked up hair who is hot and she has really big tits.  ..she wears a blue shirt.

this picture really doesn't do her any justice...but shes hot

Myxo

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeIn all honesty, this was probably the best movie I've ever seen.

penfold0101

I Enjoyed this in an odd way. In kind of a Rolla coaster type of way. It made me real uncomfortable, but when it ended I wanted to go again!
The acting was so so and dialog wasn't that good, but after it made me think, and for a day or two after I was still thinking about it. I loved the grimy look of everything!
The gore, the violence, the suspense were all topnotch.
The way the film was like one of jigsaws puzzles was quite a nice touch, you could work out all the twists if u really listen to what John was saying.
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

edison

In addition to an anamorphic widescreen transfer with 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround EX audio, the disc will contain the following:

• Audio commentary by director Darren Lynn Bousman and actors Donnie Wahlberg and Beverley Mitchell
• Jigsaw's Game making-of featurette
• Bits and Pieces—The Props of SAW II featurette
• The Traps of SAW II featurette
• Storyboards
• Conceptual art gallery
• Trailers

Retail price is $28.98.

MacGuffin

What I liked about the first one was missing here. Here, you already felt one step ahead of the characters/movie. The 'puzzles' weren't rocket science to figure out, especially with the 'on-the-nose' cut to the clues. The opening scene was what I wanted more of.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

haha, i JUST got up from finishing this as well.  yes the opening was great EXCEPT for the rapid fire editing which sort of broke me out of my cringing from 'ohmygod, ohmygod, ohmygod' tension of 'are they going to show that?'  so it was sort of the best and the worst.  as far as the twist goes.  i called it from the beginning that if anyone was going to be keeping tabs on anyone it was the chick.  she seemed totally obvious from the beginning.    the rest of the film suffered from typical sequel-itis, like in Jeepers Creepers (yes, i'm going there) the first film = 2 characters.  better film.  sequel tries up up the body count by adding in a ton of people you dont give a shit about and this makes SURE you dont by making them all degenerate losers.  and having the guy there for the entire film being interviewed sort of broke all tension and mystery the first one had going for it as well.  like, 'whats around this corner?' oh, well its not THAT DUDE cause hes in the other room.  but honestly it could have been (and i expected it to be) much worse considering they got this out within a year of the original becoming a surprise hit.  but i wasnt just rolling my eyes through the whole thing in disgust.  it was a competent but unspectacular follow-up but i'm not really interested in seeing where the series goes from here.  the first one was totally good though.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.