Saw II

Started by MacGuffin, April 26, 2005, 08:14:41 PM

MacGuffin

First Look: Saw II One-Sheet
Two fingers up for the horror sequel!

When the gory Saw opened big last Halloween weekend, the powers that be at Lions Gate wasted no time announcing a sequel almost before the final box office numbers rolled in. While information on exactly who would be involved with the sequel has been coming down the pipeline quite slowly, music video director Darren Lynn Bousman was recently announced as director. Co-writers of the first film, James Wan and Leigh Whannell, are also working with Bousman on the script for Saw 2.

Little is known about the exact plot of Saw 2 or which, if any, cast members will be returning. When IGN FilmForce last spoke with Wan and Whannell, they told us that they planned this film as a closer examination of Jigsaw, possibly going into his back story and the evolution of his brutal and carefully planned killing techniques.

"We'd like it to be about Jigsaw I think. In James and [my] eyes, all the characters in the first film died," Whannell told FilmForce in February. "That's the way we like it, nice and bleak... We feel like Jigsaw's story could be expanded on. The sequel's the perfect means to explore Jigsaw's back-story, the bad guy of our film."

"We feel like certain questions should not be answered," says Wan.

With the film still slated for release Halloween weekend of this year, casting announcements should be coming down the pipeline shortly. The film goes into production next month.

For now, we've got an exclusive first look at the poster below, which keeps the severed body parts theme from the original Saw posters.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

i'll tell you: i watched the first one for the 2nd time a few weeks ago and thought it was even better than the first time i saw it.  i dont know where all this hate is stemming from.  its a really well constructed film; very smart.  somewhat original.  c'mon.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02its a really well constructed film; very smart.  somewhat original.  c'mon.

>>> Dialogue from Saw <<<
Dr. Lawrence Gordon: What's your name?
Adam: My name is Very Fucking Confused; what's your name?
>>> <<<
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Weak2ndAct

This movie woulda so been better if it had subtitles, and was Asian.

modage

Quote from: SHAFTR
Quote from: themodernage02its a really well constructed film; very smart.  somewhat original.  c'mon.

>>> <<<
dude, i want to see your first movie.

Quote from: Weak2ndActThis movie woulda so been better if it had subtitles, and was Asian.
:yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-grin:
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sigur Rós

The Danish critics and all my friends really loved Saw. Now I don't trust the credibility of anyone in Denmark! I fear Saw II wil only be worse. I fear that Leigh Whannell will give himself more cheasy oneliners! (wait did he die in the movie?)

The Perineum Falcon

*SPOILERS*

Quote from: Sigur RósThe Danish critics and all my friends really loved Saw. Now I don't trust the credibility of anyone in Denmark! I fear Saw II wil only be worse. I fear that Leigh Whannell will give himself more cheasy oneliners! (wait did he die in the movie?)
Everyone died, but apparently that wasn't enough to prevent a sequel.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

modage

SPOILS!

not everyone, duh!  jigsaw was quite alive by the end.

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: MacGuffinIn James and [my] eyes, all the characters in the first film died"

He was on his way out anyway.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

meatball

Quote from: themodernage02SPOILS!

not everyone, duh!  jigsaw was quite alive by the end.

Did they ever call him Jigsaw in the movie? Or is that an attempt to make the character an icon?

modage

yeah i think they called him the jigsaw killer or something.

SHAFTR

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: SHAFTR

>>> <<<
dude, i want to see your first movie.
:

Give me a million dollars and 2,000 opening day screens and I'll show it to you.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: October 28th, 2005 (wide)

Cast: Donnie Wahlberg (Det. Eric Mason), Shawnee Smith (Amanda), Tobin Bell (Jigsaw), Franky G. (Xavier), Glenn Plummer (Jonas), Dina Meyer (Kerry), Emmanuelle Vaugier (Addison), Beverley Mitchell (Laura), Erik Knudsen (Daniel)

Director: Darren Lynn Bousman (feature debut)

Screenwriter: Leigh Whannell (Saw) and Darren Lynn Bousman

Premise: While investigating the bloody aftermath of a grizzly murder, Detective Eric Mason has the feeling that it is the work of Jigsaw, the notorious killer who disappeared leaving a trail of bodies - and parts - behind. And Mason is right. Jigsaw is at work again. But instead of two people locked in a room with only one unthinkable way out, there are eight. Eight strangers -- unaware of their connection to each other -- forced to play out a game that challenges their wits and puts their lives in jeopardy.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Finger ads for 'Saw II' get thumbs down

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The Motion Picture Assn. of America (MPAA) has turned thumbs down on an upcoming film's advertising materials featuring severed fingers.

The materials for "Saw II" were distributed to Web sites by Lions Gate Films, which enjoyed a surprise hit last year with the first installment in the horror series.

In an announcement released Friday, the MPAA said its Advertising Administration, which reviews all advertising and publicity materials submitted by producers and distributors for a film rating, had not approved the material.

If it had, it would have found that "materials for the film 'Saw II' (that) display dismembered fingers . . . is unacceptable under Advertising Administration standards."

The MPAA, the trade group for the major Hollywood studios, also charged that some sites had the unapproved artwork available for sale as a poster, and other sites were carrying an unapproved theatrical trailer displaying an unauthorized "R" rating.

Lions Gate has agreed to contact the Web sites immediately to request that they remove the unapproved material. It also will ask exhibitors to return unapproved in-theater materials, according to the MPAA.

A Lions Gate spokeswoman declined comment.

Once the situation has been corrected, the MPAA said its Classification and Rating Administration will complete its review of the film and award it a rating.

"It is essential that film distributors comply with the rules of the Advertising Administration so that parents retain the confidence they have in the ratings certified by CARA and that advertising and publicity material associated with rated films is appropriate for all audiences," said Marilyn Gordon, director of the Advertising Administration. "We thank Lions Gate for its actions taken to correct the issues with the advertising for 'Saw II.' "

"Saw II" is scheduled to open nationwide October 28. It is a sequel to James Wan's "Saw," a horror thriller about two men chained up in a room by a serial killer. The first film, rated R, grossed more than $55 million domestically when it was released last year.

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Red Vine

Quote from: macageFinger ads for 'Saw II' get thumbs down

In an announcement released Friday, the MPAA said its Advertising Administration, which reviews all advertising and publicity materials submitted by producers and distributors for a film rating, had not approved the material.

If it had, it would have found that "materials for the film 'Saw II' (that) display dismembered fingers . . . is unacceptable under Advertising Administration standards."

oh yeah, dismembered feet and hands on the posters of the original is so much better
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">