MY GIRL

Started by Finn, March 25, 2005, 10:42:06 PM

Finn

Does anybody remember this movie with Anna Chlumsky and Macaulay Culkin? It was one of the very few movies I remember that I watched many times when I was a kid. I watched again today after not having seen it for seven years or so. It was very touching, enjoyable and heartbreaking at the same time. For some reason the ending still makes me tear up every time. The sequel wasn't near as good as the first one. I liked the girl that played Vada a lot and Culkin wasn't bad either. It's a shame he hasn't done a lot of acting like he use to. It's definetly a classic in my mind and I strongly recommend everyone to see it.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Stefen

haha man, those movies were so awkward. i haven't seen them in years, but i bet they are still awkward. like a part in a movie where something serious happens and the audience laughs and you kind of sink in the seat. but for a whole movie. man, they rule.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

Of course we remember this movie!

I haven't seen it in forever, but it was a pretty big movie--it'll always be fairly well known.

Gabe

Yeah I remember the girl having like a mortuary in her basement? And wasn't Jeff Daniels her father? Who played the role of the lead woman? I'm thinking Geena Davis? It was good from the pieces I remember, maybe a little too sweet, but now that i'm reminded I think I'm gonna give it another try.

[SPOILERS]
I'm comparing this and 'George Washington' right now based on both of their themes of premature love and death. Its as if adult films about childhood are too touchy when dealing with relationships alone and they have to include some cute kid dying just to satisfy an audience.

ono

Quote from: BorjabahI love how the girl has basically a mortuary in her basement. And wasn't Jeff Daniels her father? Who played the role of the lead woman? I'm thinking Geena Davis?
Dan Aykroyd and Jamie Lee Curtis.  Wow.  And I thought this was bad.

Anyway, eggscellent movie.  Yeah.  So much, so good.  I like the senile grandma.  She's sweet.  Vada and Thomas Jay's relationship is just so classic.

Gabe

Now that you mention it, that group does have some similarities. . .