The Good German

Started by Gold Trumpet, March 19, 2005, 01:54:12 PM

Gold Trumpet

His next film?

Soderbergh Takes On The "German"
Posted:   Thursday March 17th, 2005 2:49pm
Source:   Variety
Author:   Garth Franklin

Steven Soderbergh's next project will be romantic thriller "The Good German," a project Section Eight will produce and begin shooting in September for Warner Bros. Pictures reports Variety.

"German" follows an American journalist who finds himself drawn into a murder mystery when he returns to post-WWII Berlin to search for his wartime mistress. Paul Attanasio adapted the screenplay.

Section Eight bought the film rights in February 2001. At the time, it was purchased with the notion that Soderbergh's Section Eight partner, George Clooney, would take the leading role. Instead, Clooney is busy with "Good Night and Good Luck."

mogwai

this sounds very interesting.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: mogwaithis sounds very interesting.

It does, but I was more excited for Che and this article leads me to wonder what happened to that project.

mogwai

you're correct, it says at imdb that shooting on "che" starts in august this year.

MacGuffin

A bit more info:

Soderbergh Learns Some GERMAN
Oscar-winning helmer Stephen Soderbergh may potentially shoot the romantic thriller in black and white.
Source: FilmStew.com

Steven Soderbergh's Section Eight Productions is about to tackle an adaptation of the romantic thriller The Good German, to be produced with Warner Bros. Pictures. Shooting is slated to start in September.

The film, which may be shot in black and white, revolves around an American journalist who finds himself drawn into a murder mystery when he returns to post-WWII Berlin to search for his wartime mistress. Paul Attanasio adapted the screenplay from the novel by Joseph Kanon.

Section Eight partner George Clooney was originally intended for the lead role, but instead he just begun shooting his second directing project, Good Night and Good Luck, the Edward R. Murrow biopic which Warners will release next spring.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Clooney and Blanchett Eye The Good German
Source: The Hollywood Reporter April 7, 2005

The Good German, a romantic thriller set during WWII, has attracted the interest of George Clooney and Cate Blanchett. If the talks work out, Clooney will play an American journalist sent to cover the Allied summit meeting that will decide the future of Germany after WWII. Instead, he uses it as an opportunity to look for a lost love, and he gets caught up in a murder mystery. Clooney is co-producing the film with his Section Eight partner Steven Soderbergh, who will also direct the film written by Paul Attanasio based on Joseph Kanon's 2001 book. It would be the fifth time Clooney and Soderbergh collaborated on a film. Blanchett comes off her recent Academy Award win for "The Aviator."
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Sprechen Sie Tobey?
In a break from his web-slinging superhero, Tobey Maguire will star in The Good German for Steven Soderbergh. Source: FilmStew.com

Tobey Maguire is invading Deutschland. Taking a break from the Spidey gear, Maguire will star with George Clooney and Cate Blanchett in Steven Soderbergh's The Good German, Warner Bros. adaptation of the 2001 Joseph Kanon novel. Clooney and Soderbergh will be the producers on the project, working under their Section Eight production banner. Production will begin in September.

Paul Attanasio is adapting the screenplay, which stars Clooney as an American journalist in post-war Berlin who's brought in to a murder-mystery while trying to find his wartime mistress (Blanchett). Maguire will play a young soldier and guide to the journalist who develops motives of his own. Soderbergh will shoot the film in black-and-white on Warner Bros. soundstages.

Maguire is currently attached to star in a third Spider-Man film, which will bow in summer 2007. He also recently signed a deal with Sony to star in and produce an adaptation of Tokyo Suckerpunch. Maguire's other recent credits include Seabiscuit and Wonder Boys.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Redlum

Quote from: MacGuffinSoderbergh will shoot the film in black-and-white on Warner Bros. soundstages.

I love Soderbergh.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

THE GOOD GERMAN opens limited December 8th and wide on the 25th.

(if that image doesnt work, poster here: http://journals.aol.com/summermovieblog/summer-movie-releases?ncid=AOLMOV00180000000002 )

AWESOMELY Casablanca.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Quote from: modage on September 20, 2006, 09:16:47 AM
THE GOOD GERMAN opens limited December 8th and wide on the 25th.

(if that image doesnt work, poster here: http://journals.aol.com/summermovieblog/summer-movie-releases?ncid=AOLMOV00180000000002 )

AWESOMELY Casablanca.

haha, totally.  I love it.
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Redlum

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

modage

Chest Rockwell

Both the trailer and the poster are absolutely great! Looks like Cate Blanchett is a femme fatale = cool.

grand theft sparrow

Did anyone watch the trailer in the "meduim" version?

I don't have speakers on my computer at work here but it looks great.  Soderbergh gets better as a DP with every film, it seems.  I just hope the film lives up to the poster.

gob

Wow. Should be fucking ace. Got a Third Man vibe, which is a great thing.