The Merchant of Venice

Started by kotte, March 15, 2005, 04:52:54 AM

kotte

Trailer here.

Release Date: December 29th, 2004 (wide)

Cast: Al Pacino, Jeremy Irons, Joseph Fiennes, Lynn Collins

Director: Michael Radford

Based Upon: Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice

Premise: ­Shylock has grown wealthy through the abomination of money-lending.. the only profession open to Jewish businessmen of that time, as Christians were forbidden to do so, by their religious law. Thusly, Shylock faces indignity and danger when he ventures beyond the Jewish quarter, where, routinely, he meets upon intolerance. In the same city, though in a different world, lives Antonio, a Christian merchant beset by worry over the fate of his trading vessels and his increasing isolation from his young, carefree, best friend Bassanio. The younger man has fallen in love with the beautiful Portia, and seeks to go abroad to win her hand. When Antonio, cash-strapped but still possessed of good credit, stakes Bassanio for a loan of three thousand ducats from Shylock, a bond is sealed, the risk of which is one pound of Antonio's flesh. So when Antonio goes into debt to Shylock, now agonized as his daughter has runaway with a Christian, the angst-ridden moneylender demands a pound of his flesh...

I know it's a bit late but it just opened here in Oslo and I'm going to see it today...

meatball

I enjoyed this immensely.

Kotte, were you able to see this?

kotte

I did and I loved it...

I kinda knew how it would end beforehand so there weren't really any suprises plot-wise :) ...but the performances, damn. I just love Jeremy Irons.

Pacino is great but the man really needs to tone down his shouting. Fortunately, I saw very little of that here.
He often puts intensity before character play and that's too bad because he truly is one of the best. He shares that greatness with us in this film.

Shakespear lives!

SiliasRuby

I love this play (and Big Will S.) so at the very least I am going to rent this on dvd.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

meatball

I've always loved Shakespeare, and this was was one of the best film adaptations of his work that I've seen. Pacino was pretty amazing, shouting and all. It still worked as a comedy, though the Shylock character was treated a lot more seriously.

Surprised you and I are the only ones who've seen this. And Silias, who wants to rent it.

picolas

Quote from: mSurprised you and I are the only ones who've seen this. And Silias, who wants to rent it.
i saw it. i didn't like the pacing. irons was good. the fake beard technology was amazing.