House Of Wax (2005)

Started by MacGuffin, February 19, 2005, 02:16:47 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: May 6th, 2005 (wide)

Cast: Elisha Cuthbert (Carly Jones), Jared Padalecki (Wade), Paris Hilton (Paige Edwards), Chad Michael Murray (Nick Jones), Jon Abrahams (Johnson Chapman), Damon Herriman (Lester), Emma Lung, Brian Van Holt

Director: Jaume Collet-Serra (feature debut)

Screenwriter: Chad Hayes & Carey Hayes (The Dark Side of the Moon)

Based Upon: 1953's House of Wax, a 3-D horror movie starring Vincent Price and directed by Andre de Toth, which was itself a remake of 1933's Mystery of the Wax Museum directed by Michael Curtiz.

Premise: A group of friends on their way to a college football game falls prey to a pair of murderous brothers in an abandoned small town. They discover that the brothers have expanded upon the area's main attraction - the House of Wax - and created an entire town filled with the wax-coated corpses of unlucky visitors. Now the group must find a way out before they too become permanent exhibits in the House of Wax.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

the tagline should be: "prepare to slay this movie".

Ghostboy

I decided to go to the screening of this movie today, mainly because I felt like procrastinating in regards to all the other things I needed to do. It sort of reminded me why I've pretty much stopped going to mainstream movies over the past few months. It's just so relentlessly unoriginal - seriously, the makers of the Texas Chainsaw remake have perfect grounds to sue Dark Castle for taking that already-lousy script and simply adding the element of wax. I think even some of the dialogue is the same.

Paris Hilton gets a good death scene, as would be expected, and that's about all this has going for it. And if you get mad at me for revealing that Paris Hilton dies without issuing a spoiler warning...well, I'm not going to apologize.

MacGuffin

Vincent Price is rolling in his grave. In a total 180 of Wolf Creek, this movie had stupid characters and was full of cliches. Like GB said, Paris does have the best death, but it takes sooooooo long to get to the House and before the killings begin, and yes, when you have dumb teens like these, you can't wait to watch them die. That's all you end up a horror movie of this type for. But by that time, you don't care. You just want the movie to die.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks