Christina Ricci Neked in Monster?

Started by RegularKarate, March 05, 2003, 04:21:43 PM

Pwaybloe

Haha!  I never would have thought that.  

He's been married to Chaz Hammelsmith Ebert since July 18, 1993.  She's also an attorney.

I could have sworn this was at least his second marriage, but my research yeilded nada.

Pozer

a harsh and haunting film......
Charlize Theron WILL win the Oscar. If she does not then I will turn my back on the award ceremony FOREVER....or at least until I get nominated.
Monster DRILLS A HOLE INTO YOU AND FILLS IT WITH SO MANY DIFFERENT EMOTIONS....
this movie seriously toyed with mine and BOAT LOADS of the credit goes to Charlize. She is simply (but so largely) AMAZING.
Sorry to sound a little too James Liptonish but her performance literally gave me efed up dreams

Weak2ndAct

Pedro

whatever, call me roger ebert, but i thought this movie was astounding.  just came back from it so my feelings are all kinda jumbled up.  all of them positive i think.  theron most likely will win the oscar, and she does a fine job.  saying that she gives one of the best preformances of cinema history, though, is absurd.  ricci is good as well.  this film also contains one of the strangest love stories ive ever seen...

Pozer

Quote from: Weak2ndActAre you Roger Ebert or something?
yes I am

picolas

Quote from: poserisms
Quote from: Weak2ndActAre you Roger Ebert or something?
yes I am
what were you doing in my china cabinet last night? no need to explain the abrupt exit. do you even realize the amount of china and my life that you have displaced?

Sanjuro

just saw this... terrible film imo....
as someone said there was no style at all cept for the opening scene... worse, it had aboslutely TERRIBLE pacing... ii also had some problems with the script. christina ricci cant act... and charlize theron did nothing spectacular for me...definitely an overrated performance... she does not deserve to win an oscar for this but there is a good chance she will i guess
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

Pedro

Roger Ebert totally nails what Ricci's preformance is
Quote from: Roger EbertChristina Ricci finds the correct note for Selby Wall -- so correct some critics have mistaken it for bad acting, when in fact it is sublime acting in its portrayal of a bad actor. She plays Selby as clueless, dim, in over her head, picking up cues from moment to moment, cobbling her behavior out of notions borrowed from bad movies, old songs, and barroom romances. Selby must have walked into a gay bar for the first time only a few weeks ago, and studied desperately to figure out how to present herself. Selby and Aileen are often trying to improvise the next line they think the other wants to hear.
Oh, and just curious, what gives a film style?  and how does this film not have it?

Pozer

Quote from: Sanjurojust saw this... terrible film imo....
as someone said there was no style at all cept for the opening scene... worse, it had aboslutely TERRIBLE pacing... ii also had some problems with the script. christina ricci cant act... and charlize theron did nothing spectacular for me...definitely an overrated performance... she does not deserve to win an oscar for this but there is a good chance she will i guess
your damn right she will

MacGuffin

I dunno what movie the naysayers saw, but this film was brilliant. Theron deserves every award and accolade she receives. I did not see her acting at all; she was this character, became it. I dunno what kind of style was wanted, but I thought flashy editing and cinematography weren't necessary. It was perfect to just let the screenplay and actors tell the story, and the pacing was spot on. It was a extraordinary character study. Highly recommended.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sanjuro

i dont know but for me the pacing was off... one minute they dont know each other, the next their kissing, then they run off together just like that... it seemed non fluid whatsoever but i dont know if this was what the director intended... it seemed very amateurish to me

i love charlize theron  and was looking forward to this new role of hers, and i must say its her best performance ever, but i really dont think its anything great.and it was like charlize was acting behind a mask the whole time, very little facial expreession,  though her body expressions were good. best female performance ive seen this year is naomi watts and she deserves an oscar for that.
as for christina, all she had to do was act innocent and try to fit in.   the major emotional parts of the movie she really couldnt do well. i guess she did her job ok for the rest but pretty much, her performace also comes from the way she was dressed and made to look in the film.

i guess it was the way the movie was directed that irritated me the most.  it seemed to jump from one place to another, trying to be emotionally staggering, but falied in its execution of doing so.  it relied so much on power that was not there.

this couldve been better in the hands of a better director

MacGuffin

Quote from: Sanjuroi dont know but for me the pacing was off... one minute they dont know each other, the next their kissing, then they run off together just like that... it seemed non fluid whatsoever but i dont know if this was what the director intended... it seemed very amateurish to me

How much more did you want?

*MINOR SPOILERS*

It was set up that Aileen was a loner, she even said she was about to commit suicide until Selby came to her. The opening montage layed out what her life was like as a child, trying to fit in and be accepted and 'hooking' was the only way to do that because, as mentioned, they were paying to be with her. Her only friend was the Bruce Dern character, and even with him she offers to blow him as thanks for a favor. Aileen and Selby made a connection at the bar and Aileen felt 'accepted' when she was invited back to Selby's place. She was told she was beautiful, which I highly doubt she was ever told in her life. They went out on a "date" at the roller rink, Aileen even going the extra mile to look her best for it. When they do consumate their relationship, Selby asks her, "I thought you weren't into girls." Aileen tells her she she's never really been into anyone, and that's because no one ever has been into her.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sanjuro

Chest Rockwell

Well either way, I saw a clip of Theron acting and it seemed like terrible overacting....granted, i haven't seen the actual movie.

I still think Naomi Watts or Scarlett Johannson deserve the Oscar

Pedro

Quote from: Chest RockwellWell either way, I saw a clip of Theron acting and it seemed like terrible overacting....granted, i haven't seen the actual movie.

I still think Naomi Watts or Scarlett Johannson deserve the Oscar
nay.