Christina Ricci Neked in Monster?

Started by RegularKarate, March 05, 2003, 04:21:43 PM

cowboykurtis

Quote from: -dazza-Umm, I might be remembering wrong, but wasn't Christina Ricci topless in American Beauty?

christina ricci wasnt in the first one -- but shes planning to show her holiest of holes in AMERICAN BEAUTY 2: Return of the cul-de-sac
...your excuses are your own...

chainsmoking insomniac

Ummmm, dazza, she wasn't in American Beauty.  That was the other goddess, Thora Birch. :)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Newmarket Films has launched the official site for writer/director Patty Jenkins' Monster, opening in limited release on December 26 and starring Charlize Theron, Christina Ricci and Bruce Dern.

The transformed Theron stars in the shocking and moving true-life story of Aileen Wuornos, a prostitute executed last year in Florida after being convicted of murdering six men. While Wuornos confessed to the six murders, including a policeman, she claimed to have killed only in self-defense, resisting violent assaults while working as a prostitute.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

juding by the poster, i can't way i want to see that scene too much now.

Weak2ndAct

***POTENTIAL SPOILERS (MAYBE)***

Alright.  Just got back from a screening of the movie.  Simply: I'm mixed about it.  I'm really still trying to organize a cohesive review, but here are some initial thoughts:
- The movie has zero style.  The first 5 minutes seem thought out.  Then after that, it's just coverage and blandness.
- The two major 'romance' scenes are scored to Journey and whoever does that 'Crimson and Clover' song (don't remember who does that), which while I like those tunes, it seemed to pull me out and of it and tell me this is big romance.
- Aileen's killings are overtly justified.  So much so, that the johns basically have to announce their sins before they are killed, so you don't feel as bad about it.
- Ricci has nothing to do except sit in a hotel room.
- Theron is good... but I can't help but feel like this all some big award stunt.  This was even more obvious when she did a Q&A before the movie (which seemed kind of asinine to me-- how about after we see it?), and said that she wasn't going to any work until this came into theatres, since this is 'her baby.'  Or maybe to make us forget the other crappy movies she does every year?
- As for all the 'weight' she put on, Theron just looks like *gasp* a real woman instead of a bean pole.

I dunno, maybe I'm jaded or whatever.  But I felt no punch by the movie, never got sucked in.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.  I certainly hoped for more.  It's kind of 'Boys Don't Cry'-ish... minus the sympathy.  

And there's no Ricci nudity.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Weak2ndActI dunno, maybe I'm jaded or whatever.  But I felt no punch by the movie, never got sucked in.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.  I certainly hoped for more.  It's kind of 'Boys Don't Cry'-ish... minus the sympathy.

Ebert and Roeper RAVED about it. Ebert called Theron's performance one of the best in cinema history, and said they should just give this film the Oscar. He said he was so mezmerized, he forgot to take notes at the screening.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

So I was wandering through the video store and stumbled upon Nick Broomfield's doc, "Aileen: The Selling of a Serial Killer."  So, if you like Monster, or at least interested in the story (hell, if you just wanna see a good flick) I highly recommend tracking this one down.  It's a haggard story of how people sought to profit off of Wuornos' killings, and I personally found it more enthralling than 'Monster.'  I just read that a follow-up documentary is coming out soon, gonna have to see that.

But what really cracked me up about the movie was how unbelievably ugly Wournos' lover was.  I'm not laughing at the fact she was ugly, just at the fact that they spent so much time and money to make Theron 'look' the part, but just let Ricci show up as is and be cute (which was a problem I had when I saw it-- those two did not look right together).  Did director Jenkins just not care, or is this just further solidifying the case for Theron's Oscar (in the sense that it's obviously a one-woman show)?

Ghostboy

Quote from: MacGuffin
Ebert called Theron's performance one of the best in cinema history, and said they should just give this film the Oscar.

But if she takes her top off, and ESPECIALLY if she has a lesbian sex scene, then a recommendation from Ebert is sorta a given.

Ravi

Quote from: Ghostboy
Quote from: MacGuffin
Ebert called Theron's performance one of the best in cinema history, and said they should just give this film the Oscar.

But if she takes her top off, and ESPECIALLY if she has a lesbian sex scene, then a recommendation from Ebert is sorta a given.

Bound, Mulholland Dr., Femme Fatale, and now Monster.  All 4-star reviews.

SHAFTR

well for women, nudity gives you oscars
and for men, retarded gives you oscars
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

RegularKarate

Quote from: SHAFTRwell for women, nudity gives you oscars

Look forward to Sean Penn and Halle Berry in "Retard's Ball", the heart-felt story of one woman's journey to Alabama, her battle with racism, and her inevitable seduction of an innocent, yet wise man-child.

Ravi

Quote from: RegularKarate
Quote from: SHAFTRwell for women, nudity gives you oscars

Look forward to Sean Penn and Halle Berry in "Retard's Ball", the heart-felt story of one woman's journey to Alabama, her battle with racism, and her inevitable seduction of an innocent, yet wise man-child.

No, it's "Retarded Slave's Ball" with Eddie Murphy and Halle Berry.

Weak2ndAct

This probably makes me come off as some bigot, but I can't help but notice that Ebert is quite kind to films, that let's say, star people w/ the same ethnicity as his wife.

Pubrick

Quote from: Weak2ndActThis probably makes me come off as some bigot, but I can't help but notice that Ebert is quite kind to films, that let's say, star people w/ the same ethnicity as his wife.
ebert has a blackalicious wife?

i was not aware of that. this explains a lot.
under the paving stones.

Weird. Oh

http://www.criticdoctor.com/features/ebertfest2002/finalthoughts.html

Apparently, his wife is black. And to think, I always though Ebert had a thing for Siskel  :lol:
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.