The Weather Man

Started by MacGuffin, December 18, 2004, 02:37:15 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: April 1st, 2005 (wide)

Cast: Nicolas Cage (Dave Spritz), Michael Caine (Robert Spritz), Hope Davis (Noreen Spritz), Gemmenne de la Peqa (Shelly), Nicholas Hoult (Mike), Michael Rispoli (Russ), Judith McConnell (Lauren), David Darlow (Robert's Friend)

Director: Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Carribean, The Ring)

Screenwriter: Steve Conrad (Wrestling Ernest Hemingway)

Premise: Popular Chicago weatherman, Dave Spirtz, has a shot at the big time when a national morning television show calls him for an audition. Professionally, Dave is on top of the world, but his personal life is in complete disarray. Dave's painful divorce, his dad's illness and trouble with his kids have him poised on the knife's edge between stability and disaster. The harder he tries to control events, the more he finds life, like the weather, is completely unpredictable.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Cage should stop doing action films.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

picolas

everything looks GREAT except for the writing.

Rudie Obias

the trailer feels like THE FAMILY MAN meets ADAPTATION to me.  this is probably how it was pitched to by producers to movie executives.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

kotte

Looks fine to me.

What's that song playing in the trailer? I can't remember...

diggler

the tartar sauce thing was pretty funny. definitely done that
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

MacGuffin

Quote from: kotteWhat's that song playing in the trailer? I can't remember...

"The Passenger" - Iggy Pop
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

kotte

oh yeah...thanks.

Remember it from Trainspotting...

MacGuffin

Quote from: kotteRemember it from Trainspotting...

Actually, I don't remember hearing it in there. Those Iggy songs were Night Clubbing and Lust For Life.

Skeleton FilmWorks

kotte

It's on the soundtrack...

MacGuffin

Quote from: kotteIt's on the soundtrack...

But it's not in the film. The Trainspotting #2 soundtrack is music that "inspired the filmmakers or (have) been inspired by the film."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

It was also in the trailer for Waking Life.

Ultrahip

I used it in a movie I did called "Our Blue Marshmallow."

The Weather Man looks pretty decent.

modage

LOVE THE CAGE.  this looks different.  i will see this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.