Hotel Rwanda

Started by MacGuffin, December 13, 2004, 08:14:05 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release date: December 22, 2004

Starring: Don Cheadle, Djimon Hounsou, Nick Nolte, Joaquin Phoenix, Sophie Okonedo, Mothusi Magano, Leleti Khumalo, Antonio Lyons    

Screenwriter: Terry George

Directed by: Terry George  

Premise: Ten years ago, some of the worst atrocities in the history of mankind took place in the country of Rwanda; and in an era of high-speed communication and round-the-clock news, the events went almost unnoticed by the rest of the world. In only three months, almost 1 million people were brutally murdered. In the face of these unspeakable actions, inspired by his love for his family, an ordinary man summons extraordinary courage to save the lives of over a thousand helpless refugees by granting them shelter in the hotel he manages.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SHAFTR

This looks really good.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Ghostboy

It is. Almost comparable to Schindler's List, I'd say, minus some of Spielberg's more artistic touches.

cowboykurtis

i remember seeing this poster when it first came out -- i overlooked it becuase i thought it was some zombie horror film -- the cover art through me off
...your excuses are your own...

Ravi

Ultrahip

Saw this the other night. Definitely very good but I felt it was a bit heavy handed with the music and acting sometimes. Obviously the events are unmeasurably horrific, but the constant uber-enforcement of it sort of made it feel, to me anyway, like something you watch, say "that's horrible" and then continue eating your dinner, like Joaquin Phoenix said the news reports would do, you know?

Don Cheadle was wonderful, though. Best scene of the movie for me was him struggling with the tie. I think a few more quiet, introspective moments like that, rather than the in-your-face-this-is-awful-dear-god-you're-right quality the rest of the picture had would've made this movie great instead of very good.

kotte

The film looks good inspite of the god-awful trailer.

What the fuck is up with that "trailer voice"? It's old and not cool at all. So many trailers would benefit from his absence.

ono

The poster Ravi posted makes Cheadle look like he has a box cut.

SHAFTR

Quote from: GhostboyIt is. Almost comparable to Schindler's List, I'd say, minus some of Spielberg's more artistic touches.

Cheadle's List
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

cine

Anyway I guess I'm the only other person to see this.. and yes, it's a really good movie. After 5-10 minutes, I forgot this was the same guy who played Buck Swope. If Cheadle doesn't get an Oscar nod for this performance, there's no justice in the world.

Sleuth

That's really the great injustice of Hotel Rwanda
I like to hug dogs

El Duderino

Yeah, I saw it on Sunday and I agree with cine. Also, Nick Nolte was surprisingly good.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

ono

People forget that you're a good actor when you're busy crashing into stuff.  No, wait, that's "singer" and "Billy Joel."  Same difference.

Kal

I just saw this and it was DAMN GOOD. I think one of the best films of the year, and definetly one of the best films ever showing these kind of true events. Its really sad and it really makes you realize how well we live in this part of the World. More Americans should see this to see what happens outside this country...

Don Cheadle was fantastic and its too bad he doesnt have a real chance for the Oscar because he did a terrific job. The cinematography and the whole movie is really well done.

:yabbse-thumbup:  :yabbse-thumbup:

mogwai

no offense, but judging from the poster it looks like a zombie movie.