Robots

Started by MacGuffin, October 04, 2004, 07:48:26 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: March 11th, 2005 (wide)

Cast: (voices) Ewan McGregor (Rodney the Robot), Halle Berry (Cappy), Mel Brooks (Big Weld), Jim Broadbent, Amanda Bynes, Drew Carey, Jennifer Coolidge, Paul Giamatti, Dan Hedaya, D.L. Hughley, Jamie Kennedy, Stanley Tucci (Mr. Copperbottom), Sofia Vergara, Dianne Wiest (Mrs. Copperbottom), Harland Williams

Director: Chris Wedge (Ice Age)

Screenwriter: Lowell Ganz and Babaloo Mandel (writing team of Ed-TV, Parenthood, City Slickers, Where the Heart Is, A League of Their Own)

Based Upon: This film is based upon a story idea by children's author William Joyce.

Premise: Set on a world populated entirely by robots, this is the story of a young genius, Rodney (McGregor), who wants to make robots capable of making the world a better place, but he finds his dream challenged by a corporate tyrant and a master inventor, Big Weld (Brooks), while also being seduced by a sexy corporate robot, Cappy (Berry) (Tucci and Wiest play Rodney's parents; Carey and Bynes play members of a gang of obsolete robots called the Rusties).
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I saw this yesterday during the previews when I went to see Shark Tale... they also showed the trailer for Madagascar which was pretty interesting, but this one didnt look so hot. The only really funny thing was Robin Williams.

modage

i really liked ice age, so hopefully this will be good.  
look of film = good.  
preview = notsomuch.  
voices in film = good.  
telling us who the voices are in the preview = notsomuch

we'll see...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

That's a little too much Robin Williams for my liking.

Bethie

Quote from: CinephileThat's a little too much Robin Williams for my liking.

That's not what you said last night.
who likes movies anyway

cine

Quote from: Bethie
Quote from: CinephileThat's a little too much Robin Williams for my liking.
That's not what you said last night.
Dear Abby,

I'm having problems with this girl I know. Everytime I say something, she dwells on it, reminding me that I didn't say it last night. Is she telling me something? Was I supposed to say something to her the night before? I get these mixed messages a lot and I don't know what I should do. She's like a splinter in my finger when she talks like this. The only person on the planet who can help me get out of this is you. Please help me out.

-Confused in Canada

P.S. Maybe it's the sex?

RegularKarate

Dear Confused in Canada,

Give her a good smack.  That usually does the trick.

Abby

modage

movie = as funny as trailers = notsomuch = dont go see this  :(  poor everyone involved.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

It'll still gross 100 million domestically off a huge target market alone.

Finn

It will...but I liked it. It wasn't great or even too memorable, but I laughed several times and admired it's creativity. The look and special effects are nice as well.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

grand theft sparrow

Good kids movie but only just tolerable for the adults.  Had a few good moments (particularly a 2001 reference that I was the only one in the IMAX theatre who laughed) but it's yet another film that further defines that line between Pixar and everything else.

EDIT: ...and NO STAR WARS TRAILER IN IMAX!!!  Though the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory trailer was nice.  Depp's teeth 8 stories high are every bit as frightening as I feared.