knowing (rich kelly now al proyas)

Started by sphinx, March 03, 2003, 01:04:52 AM

Gamblour.

That's not true because then you will miss the most horrifying plane crash ever and a burning moose. I stand by this film.
WWPTAD?

Fernando

:shock: what a coincidence, I watched this yesterday and while polka's find is hilarious i agree with gamblour and at the same time with everything john said. that plane crash is indeed amazing/horrifying.

cgi needed a little more work, although it wasn't too distracting, i mean for some scenes at the end and that burning deer, the plane crash however was impeccable.

polkablues

I haven't seen the movie yet, I just enjoy a chance to make fun of Nicolas Cage.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Gamblour.

Quote from: polkablues on May 19, 2009, 04:05:37 PM
I haven't seen the movie yet, I just enjoy a chance to make fun of Nicolas Cage.

Rightfully so. He's the best and worst part of the movie.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

I'm with John, Fernando and Gamblour on this. This film won me over as it progressed. The mystery of whispering people kept me going, and the disaster scenes were incredible and so intense. It isn't a standard action/sci-fi flick. As John mentioned, it has ideas, and that added a depth I wasn't expecting. It's dark and yet uplifting.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

I thought this was terrible. I rented it and regretted having it before I got home.

It's pretty good. If you ignore the bad acting and some other little stupid details, the film is intense and keeps you guessing and interested. The disaster scenes are pretty good, and the ending was also better than in most films like this when guys like Nic Cage somehow ====SPOILER==== save the world on his own.

Very refreshing. I like being positively surprised by a movie I have zero faith in.

RegularKarate

I'm confused whether you liked it or not, Kal.

I just watched it night before last and it was enjoyable.  I mean, it's a bad movie, but there are some scenes that I really liked and it made me really wish Proyas would just at least turn into Gore Verbinski.

SPOILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The end surprised me, but I feel like it makes the rest of the movie totally pointless.  What was the reason for all the messages/warnings/premonitions etc... if it was just going to be a quick come and grab?

Kal

I liked it. I thought that was clear.

SPOILERS in response to RK

The messages and all that was to identify the people who could hear the whispers. Shit was going to happen anyways and for that major event the aliens were trying to identify who they had to take with them. I thought that was pretty clear. What seems pointless was Nic trying to save so many people when at the end everything went to shit.

Gamblour.

Quote from: kal on July 09, 2009, 12:10:40 PM
What seems pointless was Nic trying to save so many people when at the end everything went to shit.

That's less pointless in a bad-script kind of way and more of a ironic/devastating way.

I can't wait to see this again on bluray.
WWPTAD?

matt35mm

Kal, you must have meant to write, "I thought this was going to be terrible."

Kal

Quote from: matt35mm on July 09, 2009, 12:25:39 PM
Kal, you must have meant to write, "I thought this was going to be terrible."

Oooh yeah sorry about that. You're right my bad!

MacGuffin

**SPOILERS**

Quote from: Gamblour. on July 09, 2009, 12:24:15 PM
What seems pointless was Nic trying to save so many people when at the end everything went to shit.

That's less pointless in a bad-script kind of way and more of a ironic/devastating way.

But he didn't know he couldn't change the events until after the subway crash. He said if he knew about this he could have saved his wife, but in reality, he couldn't have even if he did know. The scene in his classroom talks about events determined and with purpose vs. coincidences and no meaning. He starts off believing the latter and changes to the former after that crash because he knows things are pre-determined and he purpose becomes saving his kid.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

MORE BIG SPOILERS!

SPOILERS
I thought that was pretty clear.

I get why Cage was trying to save people.  I still don't see the reason for the big picture.  If all they needed to do was to find out who could hear the whispers then why did they need to set up such an elaborate situation?  Starting at least 50 years early?  Why not a simple whisper-message that just tells people who can hear where to meet so they can take them?

squints

SPOILER

The Lord Transluscent-Glowing-Whispering-Space-Alien Works in Mysterious Ways
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Kal

Quote from: squints on July 11, 2009, 12:03:27 AM
SPOILER

The Lord Transluscent-Glowing-Whispering-Space-Alien Works in Mysterious Ways

Didn't the human version of the aliens look just like the aliens in Dude, Where is my Car?