knowing (rich kelly now al proyas)

Started by sphinx, March 03, 2003, 01:04:52 AM

mogwai

picolas

Quote from: mogwaianything new on this project?

New Second Page Added to Semi-Unpopular Xixax Thread Regarding Richard Kelly's Next Project, Knowing

Today, ten months after its initial post, the formely single-page topic "knowing (rich kelly)" over at Mad Dancer's Xixax.com was updated with a second page.

The second page, noted in the upper right hand corner of the screen by a number 2, "will probably bump the thread up to the top of the forum for a bit. Maybe a day or so," noted senior editor N. Porteous to himself, as he wrote the above article.

When reached for comment, Mad Dancer Media declined because "I didn't call them."

MacGuffin

Proyas' future holds 'Knowing'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Alex Proyas is attached to direct "Knowing," a supernatural thriller that Columbia-based Escape Artists is producing.

"Knowing" is the story of a man who unearths a 1950s time capsule with children's drawings predicting the future. One set of drawings depicts horrible events that already have come true, but one of the events has not occurred, and the man sets out to prevent it from happening.

Ryne Pearson wrote the original draft, which was rewritten by Richard Kelly when the latter was attached to direct. The project does not have a studio home, though one is expected shortly. Producers are Steve Tisch, Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and David Alper.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

thats weird.  i thought kelly was going to direct this one next.  i hope this is more crow/dark city and less irobot/garagedays.  because i robot SUCKED... HARD.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

I'm going to expect to be disapointed on this one... that way if it's as good as it could be, I'll be blown away... it's called the "Reverse Modernage Strategy".

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: March 20th, 2009 (wide)

Starring: Nicolas Cage, Rose Byrne

Directed by: Alex Proyas 

Premise: A teacher (Cage) opens a time capsule that has been dug up at his son's elementary school; in it are some chilling predictions -- some that have already occurred and others that are about to -- that lead him to believe his family plays a role in the events that are about to unfold.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

the premise reminds me of a real gripping japanese comics series called 20th Century Boy.  about a group of 12 year olds burying a time-capsule in the 70's, then as the new millennium approaches, their predictions begin to materialize, and it's up to this 30-something burnout to figure out which one of the kids went crazy and began committing these global atrocities systematically.  it's a bit like lost, with a lot of flashing back and forward, a sci-fi mystery and a coming-of-age tale coming together.  The series ended up sucking though, with the old mysteries catching up and the new ones being completely stupid.

the execution reminds me of an m. night shamalan movie.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: pete on December 12, 2008, 02:59:26 PM
the premise reminds me of a real gripping japanese comics series called 20th Century Boy.

Speaking of:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Gold Trumpet

"'Knowing' is among the best science-fiction films I've seen -- frightening, suspenseful, intelligent and, when it needs to be, rather awesome."

-Roger Ebert

I know Ebert is more hyperbole than critic these days, but that is quite the statement. Even for him. And considering what a self professed fan and devotee of science fiction he is, that immediately gives me interest in this film. I love Alex Proyas but I know the man has been hard up to do personal projects so has been taking on lesser tier stuff. His path onto Knowing had hired gun written all over it, but now I'm fascinated. I'm finally going to see the Wrestler tomorrow, but I think I'll see this one as well. For a poor graduate student that is asking a lot.

Gamblour.

Saw this at the drive-in, fucking INTENSE! Really, really good, actually. I know, I know this is a movie that looks like it is terrible, and Nic is pretty bad, duh. But it's a very dark film, and we were all blown away by how good it turned out to be.

Go see it! Ignore the bad acting!
WWPTAD?

john

This really is a film filled with ideas. some stifled, some successful, and some are failures. It attempts these ideas with such conviction that it even keeps the lesser elements afloat (the Christian allegory, though a bit reserved, is still a bit muddled, and a bit too much.)

Actually, wherever you stand on the intellectual pursuits of the film, it is still visually astonishing. some of the CGI seems a bit false, or rushed, but it's all in support of some tremendous, frightening moments.

I don't want to knock the film too much, though. Because it is a very nice surprise that is attempting to say more than would be expected. Even in it's missteps, I applaud it for that reason alone.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

Ghostboy

Gamblour.

Quote from: Ghostboy on March 24, 2009, 01:54:40 AM
Aw man, this was retarded.

Hahahah this might be the best review I've ever read.

I agree with john, I love the big ideas behind all of it.
WWPTAD?

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee