Question about "Rashomon"

Started by foray, June 23, 2004, 08:09:24 PM

foray

Ok, I checked. This hasn't been asked before. I know that Rashomon set many precedents for movie-making. What are they? eg. Someone told me that he is famous for 'starting' the style of shooting the trees above moving while the character was walking thru the forest. Is this true?

foray
touch me i'm sick

matt35mm

I don't know about that one, but the most obvious thing that people refer to Rashomon for is its 3-way point of view on one incident.  It's called "Rashomon-esque" these days.

I don't know if that was done for the first time in Rashomon (I think I heard that it was done elsewhere before), but this is the most famous example of that multi-point of view technique.  It would be one of the precedents that people refer to, I'd guess.

xerxes

it is said to be the first movie with a shot of the sun.  it has also become sort of a term in psychology referring to various parties giving different accounts of the same event.

also, not that it matters too much but i believe there were four points of view, when you count the dead guys.

Pubrick

Quote from: xerxesalso, not that it matters too much but i believe there were four points of view, when you count the dead guys.
that's not how i remember it..
under the paving stones.

Vile5

i thought there were just the woman's, the thief's and the dead guy's points of view  :|
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: xerxesalso, not that it matters too much but i believe there were four points of view, when you count the dead guys.
that's not how i remember it..

haha, good one Pubrick...

I thought it was just the witnesses :?

xerxes

Quote from: Vile5i thought there were just the woman's, the thief's and the dead guy's points of view  :|

there was also the woodcutter guy