Control Room

Started by Ravi, June 11, 2004, 12:20:38 PM

Ravi

pete

I just came back from this.  so far, the best movie of the year.  I know I said this three weeks ago about I'm Not Scared, but this is way heavier than that movie, and it's really really good.  It's even-handed not in a point/counterpoing kind of way, but in a counterpoint/ counterpoint kind of way--meaning it assumes that the audience already knows that Saddam is evil, and everything America stands for, so it merely feeds us the counterpoints and that's the difference between that and a simple propaganda film.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pedro

Yeah, best movie of the year.  Best documentary of recent years.  It made a much stronger impact on me than Fahrenheit 9/11.  I'd call it a better film than F9/11, too.

Go see this.

foray

There were a lot of sensible, rational people interviewed at Al Jazeera, and even the US Marine Rushing was an empathetic character. You could see the change in him throughout the doco. Like one critic said, it was mostly about the disappointment, not anger, that Arabs feel towards America.

I was wondering about the long scene where they were packing and protecting their equipment from the rain. I mean, "so?" *scratch

f
touch me i'm sick

Pedro

Quote from: foray
I was wondering about the long scene where they were packing and protecting their equipment from the rain. I mean, "so?" *scratch

it was a beautiful moment to end a film on.  that's all.

MacGuffin

Lions Gate Home Entertainment has announced Control Room which take a controversial inside look at the Media surrounding the Iraq War. This critically acclaimed documentary will be available to own from the 26th October this year, and should retail at around $26.98. The film itself will be presented in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen along with an English Dolby Stereo track. Extras will include commentary by Director Jehane Noujaim, commentary by Central Command Press Officer Josh Rushing, commentary by Al Jazeera staffers Hassan Ibrahim, Samir Khader and Deema Khatib and more than 50 Deleted Scenes. English, Spanish, French and Arabic subtitles will also be provided.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

so i saw this today and i thought it was surely the best documentary of the year. fahrenheit may have more of a comedic approach, but control room throws it at you and tells it like it is....i reccomend to all. this is definetley going on my top 10 of the year.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

hedwig

WHY DO BLURBS ALWAYS SCREAM!!!!
context, context, context.

life_boy

This really is a great film.  It is nice to come into a political documentary where the markers aren't trying to convert others to a pre-packaged political ideology.  This film lets the information, the stories, the people and the images say what needs to be said and lets the viewer leave to develop a conclusion on one's own.  

There are a number of great scenes in the film, and the people interviewed are very articulate and interesting to listen to.  It also puts a human face on the idea of "the journalist" and shows the complexities of adding the media element to an already complicated matter (war).