She Hate Me

Started by MacGuffin, May 15, 2004, 02:41:44 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer

Release date: July 30, 2004

Starring: Anthony Mackie, Kerry Washington, Dania Ramirez, Ellen Barkin, Monica Bellucci, Jim Brown, John Turturro, Ossie Davis, Jamel Debbouze, Brian Dennehy, Woody Harrelson, Bai Ling, Joie Lee, Lonette McKee, Michole Briana White, Paula Jai Parker, Savannah Haske, David Bennent, Q-Tip, Sarita Choudhury  

Director: Spike Lee  
Screenwriter: Michael Genet and Spike Lee  

Premise: Harvard, MBA-educated biotech executive John Henry “Jack” Armstrong (Anthony Mackie) gets fired when he informs on his bosses and initiates an investigation into their business dealings by the Securities & Exchange Commission. Branded a whistle-blower and therefore unemployable, Jack desperately needs to make a living. When his former girlfriend Fatima (Kerry Washington), a high powered businesswoman and now a lesbian, offers him cash to impregnate her and her new girlfriend Alex (Dania Ramirez), Jack is persuaded by the chance to make “easy” money. Word spreads and soon Jack is in the baby-making business at $10,000 a tryst. Lesbians with a desire for motherhood and the cash to spare are lining up to seek his services. But, between the attempts by his former employers to frame him for securities fraud and his dubious fathering activities, Jack finds his life, all at once, becoming very complicated.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

That's a great cast.

Monica Bellucci and Woody Harrelson in a Spike Lee Joint... mmmmm.

Just Withnail

I'll see it without hesitation. A new Spike Lee is always welcome in my book. Rare to see such a calm trailer, last time I felt so comfortable watching a trailer was Lost in Translation. Nice to see a concept as hilarious as this being toned down (at least the trailer gives that impression).

El Duderino

wow, this looks great. monica bellucci is just the cherry on top.

also, everytime i see John Turturro, i hear him say "You stole my story" in that southern accent. but then i think of him as Jesus and it's all groovy
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

cowboykurtis

i really cant stand spike lee
...your excuses are your own...

picolas

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

One night stands with scorching hot lesbians -- how delectably unrealistic!

If someone pitched me a 'coorporate courtroom drama mixed with a sex comedy,' I'd be wary, but Spike Lee's name added to that mix will get me there opening day. The trailer looks funny and weird...it's hard to pin down. In the words of that diner lady in the Simpsons, "I like that!"

Also, any trailer that shows an ECU of sperm rushing headlong into a vaginal canal is a cool trailer.

Also, Q-tip looks like the new Giancarlo Esposito.

coffeebeetle

I still have to watch 25th Hour.  But this sounds intriguing.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

SiliasRuby

Definitely happy about this
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

ono

Quote from: coffeebeetleI still have to watch 25th Hour.
Go now.

And for me, since 25th Hour, my motto has been, "New Spike Lee?  Fine by me."  I really need to kill my writers for that one, too.

RegularKarate

Spike Lee is a little sexist for this kind of movie, but I'll see it for sure.

Ghostboy

You know, this could have been a really interesting little movie if it wasn't so fucking long. Seriously, this should have been 100 minutes, tops. I could completely agree with Roger Ebert's against-the-grain review, but I can't get past how long it is. Ebert says it's never boring, and that's true on a scene by scene basis, but there are just so many scenes. Spike Lee shot himself in the foot in the editing room.

modage

i've been thinking about going to see this, but the reviews have been so scathing for the most part i dont know if i can work up the enthusiasm.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

this movie annoyed the fuck out of me, this is the first spike movie that ive hated