Where is Danny Deckchair?

Started by cron, May 05, 2004, 06:09:35 AM

Trailer:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/danny_deckchair/

Plot Outline: Based on a true story, DANNY DECKCHAIR is the tale of a cement truck driver (Ifans) whose long awaited vacation is cancelled thanks to his scheming girlfriend Trudy (Justine Clarke). Danny escapes his grim life in suburban Australia and blasts into the skies in a chair tied with helium balloons. A mighty thunderstorm blows him clean off the map and spits him out far away over the lush green town of Clarence, where he rockets into the world of Glenda (Otto), the town's only parking cop.

While the media back home run riot with the story of his disappearance, Danny gets to reinvent himself in Clarence and in the adventurer discovers a true soulmate in Glenda. Fate catches up with him eventually as Danny's true identity is revealed and Trudy, now a tabloid celebrity, comes to Clarence to claim Danny and drag him back to Sydney. Danny however, is a changed man; he's discovered what it means to be happy and has found a new self-worth. Saying farewell to Trudy, Danny makes a dynamic re-entry to Clarence, determined to win Glenda back again and embrace his newfound zest for life.
context, context, context.

Pwaybloe

I've got free tickets to go see this tomorrow night.  

And I'm going to go.  And I may get some popcorn.  Probably won't get a coke.  Maybe some Milk Duds.

SHAFTR

this looks like a movie I will hate.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

El Duderino

i love miranda otto....why she chose to do this movie....i'll never know
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: El Duderinoi love miranda otto....why she chose to do this movie....i'll never know

Finn

The first time I heard the title, I thought it was called Danny Dickhead
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

Quote from: El Duderinoi love miranda otto....why she chose to do this movie....i'll never know

You've seen it?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

Quote from: MacGuffin

You've seen it?

no...i meant i love her as an actress...i've only seen her in LOTR.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

modage

Quote from: NEON MERCURY

or maybe...

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Or maybe it's because LOTR movies are done.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Pwaybloe

I saw this last night, as noted in a previous post.  

It had really interesting parts, and it had some really bad parts.  As a whole, I never felt the movie came together.  

Minor Spoilers  
His girlfriend, Trudy, had the best part in the movie.  An attention whore at best, and a false sympathetic at her worst.

The editing was a major culprit in its demise.  I never felt they fleshed out Danny's relationships.  Another 30 minutes of character development would have greatly improved the believability factor.

If you've read Ebert's review, he pretty much ripped off my review.  Bastard.

Finn

I don't get Ebert's review, he went thumbs up on Ebert & Roeper and then he gives it two stars (thumbs down) :?
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: InsomniacI don't get Ebert's review, he went thumbs up on Ebert & Roeper and then he gives it two stars (thumbs down) :?

-each thumb is equal to two stars on a print review......

MacGuffin

Quote from: PwaybloeI saw this last night, as noted in a previous post.  

It had really interesting parts, and it had some really bad parts.  As a whole, I never felt the movie came together.  

Was the popcorn to your liking? And the Milk Duds chewy enough?

Skeleton FilmWorks