Munich

Started by MacGuffin, April 21, 2004, 01:13:52 AM

Alexandro

Spielberg is truly a master, I mean he's been putting out some really respectable movies lately, the only thing that could possible fuck this up is...himself, of course...

I think he tends to be his own worst enemy, going all sweety and candyloving at the end of his movies trying to come up with cute moments or sentimental payoffs that are sometimes not needed. If this is truly a film about hate and vengeance, and he doesn't betray that in any stupid way, this film should rule.

matt35mm

I think the collaboration of Tony Kushner and Spielberg is especially interesting.  I'm looking forward to that, because this is the only movie I can think of where Spielberg is working with such an accomplished writer, and not just a stock screenwriter-for-hire (David Koepp).

Maybe this will make Kushner a Pulitzer, Tony, Emmy and OSCAR winner?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: AlexandroSpielberg is truly a master, I mean he's been putting out some really respectable movies lately, the only thing that could possible fuck this up is...himself, of course...

I think he tends to be his own worst enemy, going all sweety and candyloving at the end of his movies trying to come up with cute moments or sentimental payoffs that are sometimes not needed. If this is truly a film about hate and vengeance, and he doesn't betray that in any stupid way, this film should rule.

I agree Speilberg is a master, but is he really his own worst enemy? My main worry will be the script. Yes, Speilberg has been involved in the writing of recent lackluster efforts, but I think if he pairs up with the right writer, he'll do well. He's an excellent director. The canned material of The Terminal could have been worst. Speilberg brought it to a respectable level.

matt35mm

Yeah that's what I said.  Basically.

Even Saving Private Ryan had a so-so script, though few argue that it was masterfully directed.  THAT'S the main interesting point of this film--Kushner seems to be a radically different choice than Spielberg's previous writing collaborators, as in a much better one.

So could this be a brilliant script + brilliant direction?  It's got a much better chance than maybe any other movie coming out this year.

Alexandro

I do think he's his own worst enemy. Spielberg can't blame the screenplay for the crappy ending of War of the Worlds. That's completely his input on it. He has total creative freedom, which is one of the reasons he makes such good movies lately. That's also one of the reasons he gets away with all the hard stuff he puts into his movies either. At the same time he has no one to control him or tell him upfront when something's not working, like that stupid scene with the son at the end in WOTW and The Terminal.

He seems to believe that without some sappy moment at the end of the movie the audience leave the theater dissatisfied or something and he always forces these insane happy endings on us, after a couple of hours of some pretty dark material. He hasn't been able to reconcile his new mature, critical filmmaking view with his initial instincts as a feel good storyteller.

Now with this Munich movie he has another chance to make a true artistic masterpiece. Not a movie that feels stupid or unnecesarily sentimental in the last five minutes, but something genuine and unique. He has the resources, both creative and monetary, and pretty much everything on his side. He's been on a roll since Schindler's List and I always feel he holds back a little with his endings, as if he's afraid of being truly daring (the only movie in which he did that was A.I., but it was a Kubrick ending) and piss off the audience a little. And heas the complete control over every aspect of the movie, so...he can't blame anyone.

edison

SPIELBERG RUSHING TO GET HIS MUNICH FILM OUT ON TIME

Movie-maker STEVEN SPIELBERG is promising film fans and critics his new movie about the 1972 Olympics will hit cinemas on time next month (DEC05), even though composer JOHN WILLIAMS is struggling with the score.

Spielberg is in a real race to complete the film, MUNICH, in time for the all-important Oscars consideration period this side of Christmas (05) - even though the film seems far from finished, according to new movie awards website TheEnvelope.com.

The controversial drama about the hunting down of Palestinian militants who killed 11 Israeli athletes at the Olympic Games only finished filming in late September (05) and Williams has yet to record a single note for the soundtrack.

But Spielberg insists his film will hit cinemas on time.

The director's spokesman MARVIN LEVY says, "There aren't many movies like this, which start shooting around July 1 and plan to be in theatres on December 23. But it will get done. Munich's production is moving forward exactly as it should."

According to the new Los Angeles Times website, which will monitor all the movie awards leading up to the Oscars, 8 December is the last possible day Munich can be considered for the early press awards. Golden Globe ballots are due on 10 December.

Many critics, who vote on the ballots, have been told they'll see the film in early December.

Redlum

Trailer:

Link from AICN.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

JG

I'm skepical about this movie. 

modage

i saw the trailer before Jarhead last night and I think it looks great.  very un-Spielbergian but it really could be great.  and the MDB of this year if it turns out right.  He should always have two movies that are totally different come out the same year.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

It does look like it could be great.  A LOT of voice-over in that trailer, though.  Almost too much to follow; I had to watch it twice to pick everything up.

killafilm

Eric Bana as an assasin? Are you serious?

Munish just shot way way up on my radar.  I think this could be incredible, and also the perfect movie for people who wanted more of a 'voice' out of Jarhead.

©brad

it looks good but my question(s) is/are this:

why the rush? shooting begins on july 1st to release in december? there has to be a better reason than to simply make the oscar drop-deadline.

i always ask this about spike lee too- these guys are always rushing to pump these shits out but u have to wonder whether they'd be better off taking their time and really doing the necessary pre-pro/script work (see lee's she hate me as example).

on the contrary, i can also see how speed-filming can be beneficial. also, it's refreshing to see spielberg with a mad-hungry pulse that doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon, 'specially since his movies are only getting better and better.

rushing john williams, however, might not be the best idea. war of the worlds score was so BLAH and forgettable.

Gamblour.

I was about mention, War of the Worlds was filmed so quickly. It's just Spielberg's knack. Shit, didn't he do Jurrasic Park and Schindler's List in the same year, or at least release one in the summer, one before Oscars, like this?
WWPTAD?

mutinyco

This is pretty much his MO. He'll take a few years off developing projects, then he shoots 2-3 fast in a row. '93 had Schindler's and Jurassic. '97-'98 had Lost World, Amistad & Ryan. '01-'02 had A.I., Minority & Catch Me. Now, '04-'05 has Terminal, Worlds & Munich.

I think he just enjoys fast-paced filmmaking. It's as close to guerrilla as somebody in his position can do. He doesn't do a lot of takes and has been known to get as many as 50 setups in a day -- which is extreme for major features.

The only movie he spent extra time on was Minority Report, and it shows.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

killafilm

From Darkhorizons:

As films ramp up their wild and lavish Oscar campaign strategies, what's already considered one of the favourites to win is taking an entirely different approach.

There will be no press junket, no premiere and, most importantly, no Oscar marketing campaign beyond trailers and posters for Steven Spielberg's movie "Munich" before and after it opens December 23rd reports LA Weekly.

This dicey decision to have no traditional publicity is the directors alone and he will not even be giving press or broadcast interviews (though there's talk he might do a Time cover story). The official strategy is for the movie to speak for itself with plenty of screenings planned starting December 1st.

Studio execs don't see the film til next Wednesday, even Spielberg's long time producing partner Kathleen Kennedy did not view the finished film, complete with John Williams score, until just a few days ago.