Munich

Started by MacGuffin, April 21, 2004, 01:13:52 AM

Ghostboy

Spike Jonze was actually considering it for a while, but now Rob Marshall (Chicago) is onboard. Last I remember, there was some dispute over studio cofinancing or something like that, holding the whole thing back...

I'm not too anxious about it, since I really didn't care much for the book.

MacGuffin

Eric Bana Starring in Spielberg's Olympics Film
Source: Variety

The Terminal director Steven Spielberg is moving forward on his as-yet-untitled DreamWorks and Universal co-production about the 1972 Munich Olympics, says Variety.

The Hulk and Troy actor Eric Bana is the first to come aboard to star in the film, which will begin shooting in European locations beginning in the next six weeks. Ben Kingsley had previously agreed to play one of the leads, but his participation now appears unlikely because Spielberg pushed back the start five weeks so he could lock the score and attach a new ending for "Terminal".

The trade adds that Spielberg, who's producing the Olympics project with Kathleen Kennedy and Barry Mendel, will now begin casting the project in earnest, even though actors are rumored to be committing without getting to read the Eric Roth script.

Spielberg's intends to follow his summer project with a winter start on The Rivals, the Robin Swicord-scripted DreamWorks drama about catfighting 19th Century stage divas. Spielberg then hopes to direct Tom Cruise in a Paramount/DreamWorks adaptation of the H.G. Wells novel The War of the Worlds, which is being scripted by David Koepp.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mutinyco

All with one arm tied behind his back...
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Derek

Does it  seem to anyone else that Spielberg latches on to rising stars soon after their breakout roles lately?

Examples:

Vince Vaughn in The Lost World after Swingers
Matthew McConnaughey in Amistad after A Time to Kill
Matt Damon in Saving Private Ryan after Good Will Hunting
Jude Law in A.I. after The Talented Mr. Ripley
Colin Farrell in Minority Report after Tigerland
Eric Bana in 1972 Olympics Project after The Hulk?
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Pubrick

Quote from: DerekDoes it  seem to anyone else that Spielberg latches on to rising stars soon after their breakout roles lately?

Examples:

Vince Vaughn in The Lost World after Swingers
Matthew McConnaughey in Amistad after A Time to Kill
Matt Damon in Saving Private Ryan after Good Will Hunting
Jude Law in A.I. after The Talented Mr. Ripley
Colin Farrell in Minority Report after Tigerland
Eric Bana in 1972 Olympics Project after The Hulk?
Kumar in The Terminal..
under the paving stones.

mutinyco

I think Spielberg has been doing EVERYTHING at quicksilver speed. He's trying to keep at the edge of everything right now: aesthetics, technology, credit sequences, stars. He's very quickly reappropriating things he's seeing from younger filmmakers and commercials/music videos. He's doing it so fast that nobody can accuse him of ripping anybody off. It seems like he's being super aware and super cunning. Quick examples: using Imaginary Forces, best known for their work on Se7en, to do the imagery for Minority Report, or using Alex MacDowell, of Fight Club, to do the art direction, or using Mary Zophres, who works with the Coens, to do his costumes now, or even the multi-colored look of The Terminal, complete with Kumar, straight from Wes Anderson.

He's very much on top of things. His radar is very finely tuned.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

modage

Kushner Rewriting Spielberg's Olympics Drama
Source: Variety Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Angels in America playwright Tony Kushner will rewrite Steven Spielberg's untitled drama about the aftermath of the 1972 Munich Olympics, where members of the Israeli team were held hostage and slain by Palestinian extremists.

Variety reports that Spielberg has also pushed back his projected start date from late this summer to June, 2005. Eric Bana remains the star of the film, a co-production between Universal and DreamWorks.

Forrest Gump writer Eric Roth wrote the original draft, with some rewriting done by Charles Randolph. But the director wasn't satisfied with the script and was also busy re-editing and fixing the ending for The Terminal, that he had to push back the late 2004 release date.

Spielberg may direct another project first. He's planning on helming Tom Cruise in a David Koepp-scripted adaptation of the H.G. Wells' War of the Worlds for Paramount/DreamWorks and is also attached to The Rivals, a Robin Swicord-scripted DreamWorks drama about cat-fighting 19th century stage divas.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Spielberg's Munich Olympics Film Set for Dec. 23
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Steven Spielberg plans a summer start for his delayed movie about the massacre of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Munich Olympics, and a Dec. 23 release in theaters.

The untitled project, a co-production between Universal Pictures and Spielberg's DreamWorks, had been set to go before the cameras last year. Casting was under way when Spielberg decided to have "Angels in America" playwright Tony Kushner do a rewrite on the project, on which writers Eric Roth ("Forrest Gump") and Charles Randolph ("The Interpreter") also had worked.

With the project postponed, Spielberg moved quickly to begin filming his adaptation of H.G. Wells' "War of the Worlds," starring Tom Cruise . Paramount will release it June 29.

Details about the Olympics film have been carefully guarded. Universal will release it domestically
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

War Of The Worlds = Jurassic Park, Munich Olympics Movie = Schindlers List?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

rustinglass

IMDB lists the film name as "Vengeance"
as in, the ultimate vengeance against Mel Gibson?

I bet that this will be the most violent film ever made.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Ghostboy

I read that thet title was actually whatever the Arabic word for Vengeance - I don't remember the exact word, though.

Anyway, I'm really glad he's still doing this - I was afraid it would fall through in between all the other projects he's lining up (Abe Lincoln, et al). Also, this'll be the fastest start-to-end production since Million Dollar Baby.

Film Student

I believe the working title is now "Star of David."
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Alexandro

Quote from: StefenWar Of The Worlds = Jurassic Park, Munich Olympics Movie = Schindlers List?

war of the worlds = the lost world, munich olympics movie = amistad?

Just Withnail

Quote from: Alexandro
Quote from: StefenWar Of The Worlds = Jurassic Park, Munich Olympics Movie = Schindlers List?

War of the Worlds = Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Munich Olympics Movie = Always?

Alexandro

Quote from: Withnail & Loathing
Quote from: Alexandro

War of the Worlds = Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Munich Olympics Movie = Always?

Munich Olympics Movie = Minority Report, War of the Worlds = Catch me if you Can?

:yabbse-wink: