We Don't Live Here Anymore

Started by El Duderino, March 30, 2004, 05:01:32 PM

El Duderino

anyone know anything about this movie? all i know is that the main cast is: Naomi Watts, Peter Krause, Mark Ruffalo, and Laura Dern. i know it was shown at sudance, but thats about it.

any trailer link?

furthermore, i really dont like Laura Dern, except in Novocaine and she doesnt make a good Mark Ruffalo wife.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

MacGuffin

Release Date: TBA 2004 (probably limited)

Cast: Naomi Watts, Laura Dern, Peter Krause, Mark Ruffalo.

Director: John Curran (Praise)

Screenwriter: Larry Gross (Gunshy, This World, Then the Fireworks, Crime + Punishment in Suburbia; cowriter of 48 Hrs., True Crime; also has Prozac Nation and Beautiful Country coming)

Based Upon: Winner of the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival, this movie's script is based upon two stories, "Adultery" and "We Don't Live Here Anymore" (actually a novella), by Andre Dubus, who also wrote the story which was adapted to film as In the Bedroom.

Premise: Two couples (Watts and Krause, Dern and Ruffalo), who have all been close friends for a long time, find their lives changing when two of them have an affair.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

El Duderino

oooh, this is gonna be good, nice to see Peter Krause doing movies.

Quote from: MacGuffin"We Don't Live Here Anymore" (actually a novella), by Andre Dubus, who also wrote the story which was adapted to film as In The Bedroom.

didnt he also write "House of Sand and Fog?"

godardian

Quote from: El Duderinoanyone know anything about this movie? all i know is that the main cast is: Naomi Watts, Peter Krause, Mark Ruffalo, and Laura Dern. i know it was shown at sudance, but thats about it.

any trailer link?

furthermore, i really dont like Laura Dern, except in Novocaine and she doesnt make a good Mark Ruffalo wife.

The cast seems excellent...

Have you seen Blue Velvet or Citizen Ruth? In the latter, especially, Dern's talent is revealed. I know she's odd, but...

Plus, I love Watts, and Ruffalo and Krause are both pin-ups for me, so I don't mind seeing all of them on the same screen even if the movie's bad.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

for some reason any movie these days that plays at sundance, i dont have any interest in. like, it seems like a sign it wont be that good.  sundance might've been a cool place for films a long time ago, but the types of movies that go through there now really dont interest me.  other festivals are fine though.  just this year and last year i really dont care about any of these movies.  this has a good cast, but something about hte stigma of being a 'sundance' film makes me totally disinterested, whereas if it just opened on its own i'd be more likely to go see it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

edison

Quote from: El Duderinooooh, this is gonna be good, nice to see Peter Krause doing movies.

Quote from: MacGuffin"We Don't Live Here Anymore" (actually a novella), by Andre Dubus, who also wrote the story which was adapted to film as In The Bedroom.

I think his son did House, Andre Dubus III, if im not mistaken.

El Duderino

Quote from: EEz28
Quote from: El Duderinooooh, this is gonna be good, nice to see Peter Krause doing movies.

I think his son did House, Andre Dubus III, if im not mistaken.

oh, that's right, thanks.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: El Duderino?

how dare you say such foul words about one of the lynch ladies....
she looks kind of hot in that pic .(in an alcoholic way)...

this film looks good..but i'm just basing this the on the cast..

oh yeah!! Eez28....what were those harsh words you said  about ruffalo.....i told ya baby he's gonna be star...so, you might want to take back what you said.. :wink: .

..and lastly i hate the title ...i keep wanting to say "alice" instead of "we"

El Duderino

Pubrick

wow i just noticed this is directed by John Curran.

"Praise" for those who don't know is like the only good movie ever made about deadbeats in my town.
under the paving stones.

Finn

Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Sal

I saw it last night.

The director made some very smart choices about how to pursue it stylistically.  Essentially he had to make the argument for why it made sense adapting the stories since they are not very cinematic.  I actually battled with this myself mentally, wondering when it's appropriate to send stories like this to the big screen and when it's not (aka, they border on something closer to Lifetime or shit made for TV movies).  

But he convinced me.  The story mostly focuses on Mark Ruffalo and Laura Dern.  Dern is just phenomenal here.  I dont think Ive seen her flex more acting muscle than what she does here.  For people who are aspiring filmmakers or actors this is a choice role to watch.  She handles herself just as well with a stand-in while she's the subject of the frame as she does onscreen with another actor.  Ruffalo, conversely, is best when you watch him by himself with a stand-in.  On screen with another actor he loses his nuance and is more receptive to the other vibes from the actors than sticking to his own guns.  But again, I have to stress Dern.  I like her a lot here.

The third biggest role comes from Naomi Watts, who does little to convey...anything.  She's just a dirty diva here.  Wants dick and that's about it.  Krause takes a side role here, which was the most dissapointing thing to me about the film, because by the end he feels like a character that the writer just managed to forget and bring back at the end with an odd and not entirely convincing reason.  

The movie plays with ideas.  I didnt read the Andre Dubus stories, but I imagine theyre the central themes.  One of the most perplexing is the idea Krause's character presents, which is a mix of fatalism and apathy that relates directly to how an affair can be legitimate in its own twistedly logical way.

I read a critique of the film which said it took the social family values of the time Dubus wrote and used them here to try and make it a "timeless" story but instead just gave it an awkward, unconvincing portrayal of several family characters.  Dont get hinged on this reading going into the film.  That reviewer got hung up on that one thing, and seemed to ignore the rest of the movie.

Id see this film.  Its not perfect, but it does a few interesting things before taking a big spill towards the end.

El Duderino

i saw this last night and i thought it was really really good. i reccomend it to all.

Film Student

Saw this at the LA Film Fest and enjoyed it quite a bit.  I'm a bit biased; they took four of my absolute favorite actors and put them in a movie where they basically take turns grandstanding, which is okay by me.  Also, Andre Dubus is one of my absolute favorite authors.  Can definitely see how some people may not care for it though...
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

tpfkabi

i'm trying not to be a perv, but this line really stuck out:
"The third biggest role comes from Naomi Watts, who does little to convey...anything. She's just a dirty diva here. Wants dick and that's about it." :shock:
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.