Revenge of the Nerds

Started by kotte, January 22, 2004, 05:02:02 AM

kotte

They've showed all the Nerds films on TV this week.

They are so bad it hurts. I can't see how they got made. Is there a demand for completely unfunny comedies. Sure, a laugh here and there but that's it.

I have to admit I enjoy a good Nerds viewing. There is something so late-night-TV-movie-bad-but-funny about it.

Revenge of the Nerds
Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise
Revenge of the Nerds III: The Next Generation
Revenge of the Nerds IV: Nerds in Love

Your feelings about them?

mogwai

Quote from: kotteYour feelings about them?
i love 'em.

Pas

Quote from: kotte
They are so bad it hurts. I can't see how they got made. Is there a demand for completely unfunny comedies. Sure, a laugh here and there but that's it.

I have to admit I enjoy a good Nerds viewing. There is something so late-night-TV-movie-bad-but-funny about it.

Do you like them or not ? I do.

kotte

Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: kotte

Do you like them or not ? I do.

I see the contradiction in my argument :)

I think they're bad as hell but I enjoy watching them anyway.

mutinyco

The original is classic. The sequels sucked...except for the Hotel Coral Essex/Hot Oral Sex joke in Part 2.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

snaporaz

Quote from: mutinycoThe original is classic. The sequels sucked....

totally agree. revenge of the nerds is one of my absolute favourite eighties movies. so many great lines.

"she's not that kind of girl, booger."
"why, does she have a penis?"

and i fucking love the end, when during the credits, the soundtrack is playing "we are the champions" by the royal philharmonic.

man, that's a great movie.

NEON MERCURY

Weird. Oh

I have to admit this movie is a guilty pleasure of mine. Its just soo cheesy its great. You gotta love the Tri Lams!
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

snaporaz

i don't think it's cheesy. i think it's some pretty good comedy, if you ask me.

SHAFTR

I love Revenge of the Nerds, the original.  I think it's WAY better than Animal House.

Perhaps because i'm more nerd than frat.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: kotteI think they're bad as hell but I enjoy watching them anyway.
Hey, where's Bonanzataz?

MacGuffin

Revenge of "Revenge of the Nerds"

Nerd alert!

Fox Searchlight has greenlighted a remake of 1984's hit college comedy, Revenge of the Nerds, which follows a fraternity of misfits seeking payback against the football players harassing them, Daily Variety reports.

The studio has reportedly hired scribes Gabe Sachs and Jeff Judah to pen the script. The duo appropriately enough wrote for the short-lived but critically-acclaimed NBC series Freaks and Geeks and are the creators of ABC's new drama Life as We Know It.

Charlie's Angels helmer McG, The OC star Adam Brody, and Grounded for Life's Brett Harrison will produce the picture.

McG immediately sparked to the idea of a Nerds redo after Brody and Harrison approached the director on the set of Fox's I>The O.C., on which he's an executive producer.

"[Harrison] said everyone he knew would like to see a new take on the film, and I told him that I knew every single line of the original film and the sequel," McG told Variety. "I could definitely relate to every aspect of those films and was absolutely on the nerd side."

Bullies beware.

The original starred Anthony Edwards, Robert Carradine and Timothy Busfield as a bunch of socially awkward but lovable freshman at Adams College who find themselves oppressed and taunted by the more popular jocks of the Alpha Beta fraternity. Hoping to avoid more wedgies, the nerds form their own frat and attempt to over the student council, inciting an all-out war.

Revenge of the Nerds, which also featured John Goodman, Bernie Casey and James Cromwell, became a surprise hit at the box office, grossing over $40 million.

It also spawned three sequels, 1987's Revenge of the Nerds II: Nerds in Paradise, 1992's Revenge of the Nerds III: The Next Generation, and 1994's Revenge of the Nerds IV: Nerds In Love.

According to McG, the new version will share a similar storyline with the 1984 film, not to mention a politically incorrect R-rating, but be updated for the Palm Pilot generation.

It is also likely to feature new oddballs, though the filmmaker didn't rule out cameos by original castmembers, giving hope that the writers might someday resurrect Ogre, Booger and other memorably-titled characters.

McG's partner Stephanie Savage plans to coproduce along with Searchlight's Julia Dray and Peter Rice. Brody and Harrison may also star in the flick should their schedules permit.

If all goes well, expect the new Nerds to graduate to theaters sometime by 2006.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

UncleJoey

Quote from: SHAFTRI love Revenge of the Nerds, the original.  I think it's WAY better than Animal House.

Perhaps because i'm more nerd than frat.

But isn't a Animal House supposed to be a satire of the Frat lifestyle? I see your point, though. A.H. has sort of been adopted by Frat guys as a sort of bible. I suppose to expect them to understand the subtleties of satire is a bit too much to ask.

As for Revenge of the Nerds - I love it. The first time I saw Lamar Latrell throw that javelin I almost died laughing. Revenge of the Nerds II is on the other side of the DVD of the original, but I refuse to watch it. I feel I'm making the right decision on that.

Oh yeah . . . remake? McG involved? No thanks.
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

ono

Shouldn't there be a statute of limitations on remakes?

(That people insist on them at all is probably an answer to my question.)