Van Sant Kurt Cobain film

Started by tpfkabi, January 21, 2004, 09:05:29 PM

Link

I don't really like the idea of a Cobain movie either (I dunno, what're they gonna show that we haven't seen before?), but if someone has to do a movie about something/someone controversial, I think Van Sant's a good choice, ESPECIALLY because of Elephant.  Elephant shows that Van Sant can take an unbiased, uncompromising look at something, without even attempting to give an explanation.  I think that's what this project would need.

And even though I consider Cobain to be a hack, I can acknowledge the fact that he did have quite an impact (love/hate sort of thing), so I gotta respect that.

As for who to play him, I would actually prefer a star rather than an unknown.  Why?  I'm not sure.  For this sort of movie, I not only wanna see someone play Cobain well, I wanna see someone TRANSFORM to play Cobain.  I think bio-pics are ideal for that, and if you don't know the actor, how do you know how much he transformed?  I dunno, it's just fun to see that.

As for Ewan, I think he could pimp it.  I don't think he's too old (yeah, it'd be better if he were younger, but still).

SHAFTR

Whenever I think of Gus Van Sant, I think about that scene in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back when he is counting his money and tells Affleck & Damon he is "busy".
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Just Withnail

Check this out

Doesn't seem like it'll be based purely off Cobain  :(  Shame, that.

RegularKarate

Quote from: That articleThe film will be a fictional account of the final days of a suicidal rock star. Given Van Sant's Northwest roots, it might seem natural to conclude that the story will be framed around the life of former Nirvana frontman Kurt Cobain. However, Dawnn Pavonnis, office manager of Pie Films, the Portland-based production company formed by Van Sant and producer Dany Wolf, points out that "a lot of rock stars have committed suicide."

sounds like we're avoiding a lawsuit...

that or it's like "this is about Cobain the same way Elephant was about Columbine"

pete

aw that Gus Van Sant sure is different.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Just Withnail

Quote from: RegularKaratethat or it's like "this is about Cobain the same way Elephant was about Columbine"

Which worked well enough for Elephant, but I just want a Cobain movie, damnit! I want some Nirvana music in a movie about Kurt, and Van Sant is perfect for the gig.

grand theft sparrow

Nirvana is SO 20th Century.   :roll:

indiana

Quote from: Duck SauceIm still deciding on whether this idea is creepy and interested or disrespectful.
ya, like i can see it could be very respectful to Kurt Cobain because his music really change how i look at things, but i also see people getting all mad because it could be disrespectful. but it will be intresting. i know that for sure.
peace
SONIC BOOM!

Link

Even though I don't like Cobain, I think it's lame that they're doing it as a sort of generic rock star.  Though, again, it worked for Elephant, so who knows?

Now I'm wishing I lived in Portland!

MacGuffin

Film 'to be made of Cobain life'
Source: BBC News

A TV movie based on the life of late Nirvana singer Kurt Cobain is to be made in the US, it has been reported.

The film will be based on the unauthorised 2001 biography Heavier Than Heaven, by Charles Cross, US industry paper Hollywood Reporter said.

A script for the film has been commissioned, and it could be aired as early as next year, it is reported.

Cobain, the singer and guitarist of Nirvana, was found dead from self-inflicted gunshot wounds in 1994.

"The day Kurt Cobain died was the day the music died for a generation," said senior VP original movies Tana Nugent Jamieson at The WB cable network. "His story is perfect for our audience."

Nirvana's rise

The movie, which is being scripted by Robert Munic, does not yet have a director involved.

It will chart the story of Cobain's life growing up in the logging town of Aberdeen in Washington in the north-west of the US, and his parent's divorce, which was a catalyst for his angry songwriting.

It will also chart the rise of Nirvana, the grunge band Cobain took from obscurity to worldwide fame after the release of their 1991 breakthrough album Nevermind.

It will also deal with the singer's troubled relationship with his wife Courtney Love, the singer in punk-rock band Hole.

"The storytelling will have a nonlinear style, flashing to different parts of his life out of chronological order," Mr Munic told Hollywood Reporter.

The announcement comes days after the 10th anniversary of Cobain's death.

It also follows reports director Gus Van Sant was planning to shoot a film about a fictional grunge band whose singer was to be modelled on Cobain.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

Goddamn it!

Oh well, it'll suck because they probably won't get the rights to any of the music, unless Courtney is really hard up for cash right now.

El Duderino

Quote from: GhostboyGoddamn it!

Oh well, it'll suck because they probably won't get the rights to any of the music, unless Courtney is really hard up for cash right now.

or stoned.
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Jake_82

Quote from: MacGuffinFilm 'to be made of Cobain life'...The WB cable network. "His story is perfect for our audience."

Anyway, the Van Sant project sounds exciting. Michael Pitt.
your reality is at the end of your dream