Van Sant Kurt Cobain film

Started by tpfkabi, January 21, 2004, 09:05:29 PM

Pas

Quote from: Satcho9When Nirvana was still intact...They were my favorite band...they could do no wrong. I was truly upset when Cobain died...Then several years older and wiser I watch the Documentary Kurt & Courtney...and I was dumbounded!...

Everyone in that doc sounded fucking retarted. Literally no substance to anything they said. Bunch of heroin addicts posing as artists....then the Cobain interviews....I just realized that the man wasnt full of much else either...people thinking they are deeper than they truly are...I dont know about anyone else...But that documentary made me lose alot of respect for Nirvana...it made everyone in the band and surrounding the band in Seattle to be complete morons.

That kinda tainted my view of him.

Maybe he was like that guy Gyllenhall in A Good Girl

Just Withnail

Quote from: Satcho9When Nirvana was still intact...They were my favorite band...they could do no wrong. I was truly upset when Cobain died...Then several years older and wiser I watch the Documentary Kurt & Courtney...and I was dumbounded!...

Everyone in that doc sounded fucking retarted. Literally no substance to anything they said. Bunch of heroin addicts posing as artists....then the Cobain interviews....I just realized that the man wasnt full of much else either...people thinking they are deeper than they truly are...I dont know about anyone else...But that documentary made me lose alot of respect for Nirvana...it made everyone in the band and surrounding the band in Seattle to be complete morons.

Excuse me, but what does any of that have to do with their music?

tpfkabi

it wasn't an article, it was in the front and was just a sentence.....pretty much what i wrote

i listened to In Utero yesterday. that's a great album. i would have loved to hear the next album
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Satcho9

Quote from: Withnail

Well...I really liked their music at the time...but...with time and age...the music has grown stale to me...I have moved on musically...Now...I am not bashing your affinity for them...I can completely respect that...but respect my opinion that I feel they are very transparent to me now.

Just Withnail

Quote from: Satcho9
Quote from: Withnail

Well...I really liked their music at the time...but...with time and age...the music has grown stale to me...I have moved on musically...Now...I am not bashing your affinity for them...I can completely respect that...but respect my opinion that I feel they are very transparent to me now.

I can understand that. I've got quite a few friends whose opinion on Nirvana is identical to yours.

Quote from: bigideasi would have loved to hear the next album

:cry:

Link

Question:

Who do you think would play Cobain the best?

My vote: Johnny Depp

Just kidding, though I wouldn't doubt that he could pull it off.

I really can't think of anyone at the moment who looks the part and could pull it off.

context, context, context.

Pas

mogwai

"nirvana appeared on mtv's acoustic music show "unplugged". kurt was in great spirits, cracking jokes between songs and singing with a cathartic intensity worthy of the most highly charged arena show. he chose an unprecedented amount of covers and, revealingly, they were either about fame, death, or both. in the meat puppets' "plateau", there's little more than a bucket and a mop - more work - at the top. another meat puppets' tune, "lake of fire" pondered the fate of damned souls, while on davie bowie's "the man who sold the world" kurt intoned, "i thought you died alone a long, long time ago". "don't expect me to cry for all the reasons you had to die" he crooned on the gospel standard "jesus wants me for a sunbeam".

that was the last time i saw kurt cobain. he hugged me goodbye. a six-week european tour began in early february and ended with the overdose in rome on march 6. having survived a suicide attempt, kurt had to endure the abject misery of continuing to live a life he no longer wanted. the band returned home to seattle. on april 8 came the news.

a few days later, a seattle limo driver who had often squired kurt around town remarked, "nice young man. very quiet. but i guess he had a lot of hurtin' ". hurtin' occupied most of kurt's waking life. between stomach pain, chronic bronchitis, and scoliosis, even his own body was a hostile enviroment.

it wasn't like kurt didn't have a sense of humor about his own misery; on the release form he signed for this book, kurt listed his address as "hell on earth". like most suicides, kurt provided plenty of hints, virtually all of which were amply documented in the slew of media coverage after his death; a few more appear in this very book. in retrospect, those clues weren't cries for help, they were announcements.

much was made of the fact that kurt died at precisely the same age as joplin, hendrix and morrison, burt kurt didn't act out some hackneyed rock truism about living fast and dying young. when he said in his suicide note that "it's better to burn out than to fade away", it was his sarcastic way of showing that he knew full well how his death would look.

kurt was the first rock musician of his stature to take his own life so deliberately, rather than simply fritter it away through misadventure. a local seattle newscast that weekend called kurt "one of rock and roll's latest victims", but rock and roll never killed anybody. his suicide was a personal decision and it probably would happened anyway, fame or no fame, riches or no riches, talent or no talent. but to speculate on precisely why he did it is a pointless parlor game. although kurt was clinically depressed and suicide ran in his family, no one will ever really know why he did it.

in the wake of his death there was one image of kurt that refused to leave my mind. it was from the reading festival back in the summer of 1992. still wearing the full-length doctor's smock he'd worn during the show, kurt walked off stage, hand in hand with a little boy who it turned out had terminal cancer and had wangled his way backstage. kurt slowly descended the stairs from the stage as a lone kleigl light beamed down on him. all in white, his blond hair gleaming, he looked just like an angel, the boy a cherub. there was a horde of people all around kurt, but somehow the light never hit them. no one made a sound. it was very quiet, especially after the thunderous noise of the show. the crowd followed him down an alleyway made by the backstage tents and then he turned a corner, still hand in hand with the little boy, and was gone."

from the book "come as you are" by michael azerrad

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: LinkQuestion:
Who do you think would play Cobain the best?

Answer..:

Mr. Bean......

Just Withnail

Quote from: LinkQuestion: Who do you think would play Cobain the best?

Actually, if Ewan McGregor for once got his american accent right, I think he would be spot on. I know there are some photos of him where you honestly can't tell if it's Kurt or Ewan. I'll see if I can find them.

Edit:

Didn't find the exact images, but a few good substitutes:

Images

Put some long blonde hair on this one, and they're nearly identical if you ask me:
http://www.ewanspotting.com/multimedia/gallery/ukelle13.jpg

Same with this one:
http://www.ewanspotting.com/multimedia/gallery/arena3.jpg

Heck, if you search for Kurt Cobain images on google, theres a dead link to a picture called "ewanaskurt" on page 11, so I'm not crazy in seeing the resemblance. Anyone care to photoshop some hair on those images?

Two more:
http://www.ewanspotting.com/multimedia/gallery/oceandrive5.jpg

Compare it to:
http://geocities.com/nirvana10212/k59.jpg

And don't forget Ewan has played both heroin addicts and rock stars before.

Ghostboy

I think he's too old now, but he would have been absolutely perfect five or six years ago.

I'd vote for an uknown. If I ever get to make my Nirvana movie, that's the way I'd like to go.

Pozer

Cecil

you have to admit that cobain must have done something right if a bunch of people consider him great while a bunch of others consider him a hack. many good artists have split audiences/ critics down the middle like that

Sal

I think with long hair Ewan could still do it.  His role in Velvet Goldmine confirms his uncanny resemblance to Cobain.  I don't agree with doing a movie about Cobain though.  I don't even agree with Van Sant doing it.  Van Sant's Elephant, a film I dearly loved, is also very reactionary.  I think given the enormous split over Cobain's suicide Van Sant would take the low road.