Meet the Fockers

Started by Myxo, January 21, 2004, 03:43:56 PM

Pozer

Quote from: GhostboySo did Ben Stiller, and that is one schtick I'm quickly growing very sick of.
He continues to soar down the tubes. I think this one may send him right out the poop shoot.

SiliasRuby

It was pretty good for a sequel but Stiller needs to find more dramatic roles.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Myxo

This was bad?

NO!

Yer kidding me..

:yabbse-undecided:

matt35mm

Quote from: GhostboyThis isn't amazingly bad, but it's not too great, or even good. Streisand was the best part (I don't have a problem with her, as other people here seem to); she was hilarious, Hoffman was pretty good and DeNiro did his schtick. So did Ben Stiller, and that is one schtick I'm quickly growing very sick of. I'm also sick of: dogs humping people's legs and cute babies. Which is what most of the jokes in this film seem to revolve around.

Anyway, I chuckled frequently but never laughed, and checked the time on my cell phone a lot. I loved the first one, and this doesn't hold half a candle to it.
This pretty much describes how I feel about the movie.  Streisand IS great in this movie and was the only person that I forgot was a Big-Name while watching it.  She played the part really well.

I was always aware that Hoffman was Hoffman, but I was aware that it was Hoffman having tons of fun, and that allowed me to have fun with his character.

DeNiro did his schtick, right.  His sudden transformation at the end is terrible, though.  Blythe Danner was boring (not her fault, the character is simply underwritten--she's the parent that no one cares about).

The worst part by far was the little baby.  I hated that baby.  Babies in movies SUCK (usually).  Terrible stuff here.  Whoever first suggested the idea of randomly adding a baby into the mix, his or her idiocy is only surpassed by those who thought it was a good idea.

Anyway, it's a so so movie.  Hoffman and Streisand are really the two stars of the movie, the only funny part of the movie, and, surprisingly, the most realistic-feeling part of the movie.

cine

Quote from: matt35mmthe only funny part of the movie, and, surprisingly, the most realistic-feeling part of the movie.
Not sure why that's surprising.. typically 'realistic-feeling' things are funnier than anything else.

matt35mm

Quote from: cinephile
Quote from: matt35mmthe only funny part of the movie, and, surprisingly, the most realistic-feeling part of the movie.
Not sure why that's surprising.. typically 'realistic-feeling' things are funnier than anything else.

Well the commercials make Hoffman and Streisand look very over-the-top while DeNiro and Danner are more toned down.  Yet, it's DeNiro and Danner than come off as caricactures while Hoffman and Streisand are actually more fully developed and more believeable as a family.  That part surprised me because I expected Hoffman and Streisand to be the caricatures in this movie.

The Perineum Falcon

I saw this.
It wasn't funny.
I didn't laugh once.
My mom thinks I should lighten up. :yabbse-undecided:

Quote from: matt35mmYet, it's DeNiro and Danner than come off as caricactures
Thank you!
I felt horrible about DeNiro doing an impersonation of his character from Parents.
Hoffman and Streisand inspired a smile or two, but nothing more.
I loved the first one and so I really wanted to like this one, but couldn't.
It's "cute," I suppose, but I'd be hard pressed to call it "good".
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Finn

I didn't laugh much either...at all. I grinned a few times (but not because of that annoying baby they kept using for cute humor). I liked the casting of Hoffman and Streisand but I wish they had better material to work with. SO much of the humor is based on either bathroom or sexual jokes where I was mostly cringing or just wondering what the filmmakers were thinking. With the cast and overall idea for the movie, they could've come up with something better than this.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

picolas

'Fockers' Biggest Comedy Box-Office Hit Ever

Thanks in large part to record overseas ticket sales of $221 million, Meet the Fockers, starring Ben Stiller, Robert De Niro, Dustin Hoffman, and Barbra Streisand, has become the most successful live-action comedy in history, grossing $498 million overall, the Los Angeles Times reported today (Thursday). The newspaper observed that the take was particularly remarkable given Hollywood's long-standing axiom that "comedies don't travel overseas, except those of the animated variety."

cine

and now i kill myself.

MacGuffin

Teri Polo set for third 'Fockers' film

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Teri Polo is set to reprise her role as Ben Stiller's wife in Meet the Little Focker, the third installment of the movie franchise. "I think he cast me in the role because I play a great straight man," she said. "Actually, I think I'm funnier off-camera."

Polo worked with Robert DeNiro in the 2004 sequel, Meet the Fockers, and in 2000 in the original Meet the Parents.

"I literally glued myself to his side because I didn't know if I ever was going to get this opportunity again," she said of their collaboration. "I asked him what was more difficult — comedy or drama — and it surprised me when he said it's basically the same thing. It's all in the way you deliver the line."

Polo, a 37-year-old divorced mother of a young son, can next be seen playing a cynical divorce attorney who finds love with her legal opposition in Love is a Four Letter Word, airing Saturday on the Hallmark Channel.

Love and marriage are recurring themes for Polo's projects this year. She plays one of three sisters running a wedding-planning business on the upcoming Fox series The Wedding Bells, written by David E. Kelley.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

MacGuffin

More 'Fockers' for Universal
Tribeca deal paves way for third movie
Source: Variety

Universal Pictures has reupped Robert De Niro and Jane Rosenthal's Gotham-based Tribeca Prods. for another two years and will get busy on developing "Little Fockers," the third installment of what has become one of Universal's most lucrative franchises.

Producers are working with Jay Roach, who directed both "Meet the Parents" and "Meet the Fockers," to hatch the third pic.

Hope is to bring back not only Ben Stiller, De Niro, Teri Polo and Blythe Danner, but also Dustin Hoffman and Barbra Streisand. The effort makes strong financial sense: "Meet the Parents" grossed $330 million worldwide, "Meet the Fockers" $515 million.

Script will be written by Larry Stuckey, Roach's former assistant who collaborated with the director on several scripts, including a remake of "Elling" at Fox and an untitled outsourcing comedy at Universal.

For Universal, the Tribeca deal is the second overall pact to be renewed after the studio brought Working Title partners Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner back into the fold. Studio is also eager to reup Imagine partners Brian Grazer and Ron Howard, whose deal expires at the end of the year.

De Niro and Rosenthal are coming off "The Good Shepherd," the De Niro-directed CIA drama that Universal distributed through its output deal with financier-producer Morgan Creek."Tribeca has been responsible for such a diverse group of successful movies, and both Jane and Bob have a real love for film that shows in everything they've done with us," said U president of production Donna Langley. "This marks eight years that Tribeca has had a deal at Universal, and we look forward to continuing this very fruitful partnership."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks