The Dreamers

Started by MacGuffin, December 19, 2003, 09:28:32 PM

A Matter Of Chance

I went to rent this today and they wouldn't let me.

Finn

LOL!

I'm gonna try to go pick it up at Blockbuster. My local store carries it.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

Quote from: InsomniacLOL!

just keep in mind you're getting the censored butchered rated R version (made specifically for Blockbuster video), not the NC-17 version that went to theatres.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: InsomniacLOL!

just keep in mind you're getting the censored butchered rated R version (made specifically for Blockbuster video), not the NC-17 version that went to theatres.

that's what they wanted to to rent... I refused.

Finn

Hmm that's funny. This store had the Y Tu Mama Tambien Unrated version and yet they won't carry the original version of The Dreamers. Must be the fatal NC-17 rating on the dvd. Unrated might've been debatable.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

ono

Blockbuster is the Wal-Mart of video stores.  Don't waste your time or money.  Don't know where you live, so I don't know if you have any smaller chains.  Vis-Art Video is a great one, though I don't know how widespread they are.  All else fails though, just use Netflix for that kind of thing in the future.  No more hassle.

NEON MERCURY

i saw this went i spents my money and bought it tuesday and i even watched it that night while wearing my khaki shorts and an fitted baseball cap eating icecream with a spoon and milk [like an unmixed milkshake] then i would took the spoon and layed it on my chest..the spoon felt neat and cool whilst laying on my chest.........but anyway,

besides writing my thoughts down i will let the others do it for me whose feelings/thoughts/orgasms resembled mine...........

Quote from: mutinycoEva Green will leave people drooling for hours afterward.

Quote from: SoNowThenthe last 15 minutes or so really brought everything together nicely, and proved that he did have a greater point, after all. Music, although decent, was too Hendrix/Doors/Joplin heavy. I woulda liked Dylan/Beatles/Stones

>right on man, highlight was queen jane approximately

Quote from: godardianbeautiful camerawork and cinematography...
I was astounded, astonished, exhalted.
...A paean to cinema for all the cinephiles... a touching, bittersweet, lovely memento of the passion and freedom and exhilaration of youth...

>i want to point out that whats in bold is the bottom line of what thi sfilm is about and how i felt inflicted upon me.....also, what godardian wrote would be a proper critic quote slapped on the cover of the dvd........

Quote from: GhostboyI wasn't disappointed (nor did I leave unaroused -- seriously, this movie is vivaciously erotic and not in a teasing sort of way). If the adrenalien rush it provided was hindered in any way, it's because the first forty minutes are so consistently electric that, after the first sex scene, I felt somewhat exhausted.

Quote from: Film StudentMy God, this movie is INCREDIBLE.

Quote from: samsong... the film achieves a sort of Bunuelian surrealism and dream logic that completely blew me away (along with just about everything else in the film).

>thats exactly the vibe i got........

Quote from: ono.bot.opoeiaI would've liked more explanation of the history behind the riots, and a more concrete resolution rather than an ellipsis, but I guess that can be forgiven because of the overall effect which this film creates.

Quote from: Pictures are Pals"One downfall, however, was that the nudity in the movie, in my opinion, was not entirely necessary. I feel that some was important.

>although i dont mind looking at boobies....and close ups of a unilateral vortexing vagina, some was not needed to fuel the film..........

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetWhen Eva Green got naked, I was happy.

Quote from: Pubricki spose that's nostalgia.. right down to the bittersweet end.

> i will also conclude on this .the final end/image was brilliant w/ the credits....i just stood their and hovered/reflected what i watched.......[SPOILER]............i cant believe a bench could be so haunting/poweful...................

the end.

Chest Rockwell

Can someone that has a Screen Capture majigy please take a screen of the Venus de Milo shot (I'm sure you all know which one it is, the one where Isabelle is in the dark doorway with the black dining gloves) for me? I don't have any means to take captures and I need this shot. I'll pay you with some of my post count  8) .

Pwaybloe

Quote from: themodernage02just keep in mind you're getting the censored butchered rated R version (made specifically for Blockbuster video), not the NC-17 version that went to theatres.

I saw the NC-17 version in the theater, and I saw the R-rated version (courtesy: Blockbuster) a couple days ago.  For those that are worried, there was not much cut out.  I was guessing about 30-45 seconds.

SPOILER There was nothing integral to the plot that was cut.  The scenes in the kitchen were shortend (closeups of Matthew's penis, sex, bloody kiss) but not cut.  Closeups of Eva Green's pubic hair was shortened a few seconds.  The Venus De Milo oral sex scene was shortend a little, too.  END SPOILERS

But... if you're like me, you will be annoyed.

P.S.  Did anyone else crack up at the video of Michael Pitt's version of "Hey Joe"?

Just Withnail

Quote from: PwaybloeP.S.  Did anyone else crack up at the video of Michael Pitt's version of "Hey Joe"?

Haven't bought the DVD yet, so I haven't seen this. Crack up as in laughing with or laughing at?

tpfkabi

Quote from: Chest RockwellCan someone that has a Screen Capture majigy please take a screen of the Venus de Milo shot (I'm sure you all know which one it is, the one where Isabelle is in the dark doorway with the black dining gloves) for me? I don't have any means to take captures and I need this shot. I'll pay you with some of my post count  8) .

this is from a link i posted a few pages back, i just figured out how to post images a few weeks ago.....i never even noticed the "message body:" portion under the "subject" line

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: bigideas
Quote from: Chest RockwellCan someone that has a Screen Capture majigy please take a screen of the Venus de Milo shot (I'm sure you all know which one it is, the one where Isabelle is in the dark doorway with the black dining gloves) for me? I don't have any means to take captures and I need this shot. I'll pay you with some of my post count  8) .

this is from a link i posted a few pages back, i just figured out how to post images a few weeks ago.....i never even noticed the "message body:" portion under the "subject" line

That's rather funny. They covered her top. I'd prefer an uncensored shot, but I suppose I probably should use a censored shot for this assignment, anyway.

Thrindle

I haven't read this thread, nor do I care to.  The best part of this movie was Eva Green.  Stunning.  Gorgeous.  Beautiful.  Ingenue.

Having said all of this, I never finished the movie.  Thrindle, canoodling expert, got bored.
Classic.

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: ThrindleI haven't read this thread, nor do I care to.  The best part of this movie was Eva Green.  Stunning.  Gorgeous.  Beautiful.  Ingenue.

Having said all of this, I never finished the movie.  Thrindle, canoodling expert, got bored.
I agree that Eva Green was good. I think you're incorrect as per your opinion of the film itself. I thought it a beautiful film and aside from that I found it fun trying to catch all the references (besides the obvious ones).

And lastly I think we need to give this 'expert in the art of canoodling' thing a rest. Canoodle was a charming word when we first introduced it to xixax, but now the word's getting overplayed and losing its novelty. Peace.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Pwaybloe
P.S.  Did anyone else crack up at the video of Michael Pitt's version of "Hey Joe"?

hahahahaha!! right on man  .i am glad i am not the only one who thought that the video/remake was phucking stupid......i know this is cliched but he really doesnt need to quit his day job.........

the worse part is when he starts "getting into it" and over acts the song like hes performing in a high school battle of the bands.......