The Dreamers

Started by MacGuffin, December 19, 2003, 09:28:32 PM

SoNowThen

Well, it was kinda steamy...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

There should be a law that prohibited blurbs.

The only quotes that I like are by the filmmakers themselves. For example, in my Region 2 DVD of Persona, there's a quote by Ingmar that says something like "I feel that with 'Persona' I was able to graze those boundaries that only Cinema is capable of."

That's not the exact quote.
context, context, context.

cine

Quote from: cronopioThere should be a law that prohibited blurbs.
Every blurb should say, "Best thing since sliced bread."

SoNowThen

Everytime I think of a blurb, I think of that part from The Critic:

"I laughed, I cried"  -- A Manic Depressive
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Quote from: SoNowThenEverytime I think of a blurb, I think of that part from The Critic:

Seriously, I'M POSITIVE there's an algorithm that generates those silly quotes.

ono

Quote from: SoNowThenEverytime I think of a blurb, I think of that part from The Critic:

Even worse, from Family Guy, something like: Dyslexic Film Society presents Chevy Chase in Feltch.

Pubrick

how can anything be better than this? i spose that's nostalgia.. right down to the bittersweet end.

buying this ASAP, i know the DVD details were posted on the previous page, has there been a new thread with news of an earlier release?
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

I'm confused about the two releases -- I thought the uncut NC-17 version WAS the standard theatrical version.

I guess one of them is the version that was shown at Sundance that was going to get an R rating before Fox Searchlight came to their senses?

ono

That's something I was wondering about, too.  I don't even know why Fox is bothering with the R-rated version at all.  People who would even want to see this film in the first place won't want the cut version.  Then again, there is Blockbuster to consider.

I just saw this movie yesterday and I think that its just wrong. During Matthew and Isabelle's sex sence, they didn't use a condom. What happens if I had taken my little brother to watch this with me and he sees that they don't use a condom and so he thinks that its ok not to use one. Why won't they think of the children?

right out from the IMDB forums.

Pubrick

I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt.

right out of the imdb forums.
under the paving stones.

troll. hahaha

but yeah,  after this dvd, there's no good reason of getting another dvd in the world.

A Matter Of Chance

I am offended!!!!!!!!!! I AM OFFENDED!!!!!!

just kidding

rustinglass

Quote from: cronopioI just saw this movie yesterday and I think that its just wrong. During Matthew and Isabelle's sex sence, they didn't use a condom. What happens if I had taken my little brother to watch this with me and he sees that they don't use a condom and so he thinks that its ok not to use one. Why won't they think of the children?

right out from the IMDB forums.

That guy was joking, it was a pretty good joke too.

Anyway, this movie finally made it's way to this island. I was pretty impressed, mainly because it has had some pretty bad reviews in Portugal.
I don't want to repeat a lot of what has been said, I really really liked this film. It made me want to watch alll those films that they talk about, mostly band a part.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

ono

July 13th sure came quickly.  Anyone gonna get this today?