Peter Jackson's KING KONG

Started by Spike, December 14, 2003, 01:15:38 PM

JG

what's wrong with arguing about the length?  how bout if they said the pacing instead,  would that change anything for you?  cause i certainly had a problem with the pacing, althoughnot as much as most people.  and for me, it wasn't the beginning of the movie that had pacing issues.  i just thought some of the action scenes ran on too long.  that's a valid argument for a movie, i think.  sure, time is subjective, but what isn't?

meatball

Quote from: Pubrick on December 21, 2005, 08:19:10 PM
Quote from: meatball on December 21, 2005, 02:28:22 PM
What rubbed me the wrong way was how fleshed out everything was (the creatures, the island). My mind didn't have to do any work because PJ presented everything and more.
what the fuck? your complaining cos the effects and production design were too good? cos the story was too well developed?

I'm not complaining, it's fun to soak in amazing visuals and not use my imagination to fill in any blanks. Just enjoying the ride is fun. At some point, I just stopped caring. That's me, though. I'm not saying it's a bad thing.

Figure 8

I saw this tonight and I loved it.  The only thing stopping me from saying that this is the best movie of the year is that it's a remake.  But I know it wouldn't have been as good if it wasn't a remake.  The whole thing was just so good, though.  And the CGI was just fucking amazing.  I wasn't a huge fan of the Lord of the Rings Series, but this just redeemed anything I had against Peter Jackson. I enjoyed the first hour a lot, too, even before they got to the island.  I mean, I was really waiting for King Kong to arrive, but I enjoyed watching the first hour.  And then the end back in New York just brought it all back.  Anyway, I think all I'm saying has been said before, but I thought this was just amazing.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

Quote from: Figure 8 on December 21, 2005, 11:06:16 PM
The only thing stopping me from saying that this is the best movie of the year is that it's a remake.

I don't see why that should stop you. 
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

Figure 8

Quote from: Ginger on December 22, 2005, 12:06:00 AM
The only thing stopping me from saying that this is the best movie of the year is that it's a remake.
Because I don't like the idea of remakes.  In this case, like I said, I think it actually works better as a remake, but I just don't want to say a recycled idea is the best one of the year.  Yeah, I've got bad logic, but oh well.

pete

I've always really wanted to like naomi watts 'cause I think she's pretty and she's good in the roles, but she lacks charisma.  She's not very good at getting the audience in her head or getting them to fall in love with her.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

I'm in love with her.  So I must respectfully disagree with your last statement.

polkablues

Quote from: pete on December 22, 2005, 02:00:41 AM
I've always really wanted to like naomi watts 'cause I think she's pretty and she's good in the roles, but she lacks charisma.  She's not very good at getting the audience in her head or getting them to fall in love with her.

I gotta disagree with you on this one.  The only actress out there better at that than Naomi Watts is Jennifer Connelly.  And keep in mind that I'm dangerously obsessed with Jennifer Connelly, so for me to put Naomi Watts up at her level is really saying something.
My house, my rules, my coffee

ono

Yeah, ass-to-ass gets 'em every time.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Figure 8 on December 22, 2005, 12:42:51 AM
Because I don't like the idea of remakes.  In this case, like I said, I think it actually works better as a remake, but I just don't want to say a recycled idea is the best one of the year.  Yeah, I've got bad logic, but oh well.

Quote from: lockesparrow on December 20, 2005, 11:49:07 AM
If Kong were based on a novel... this would never have been an issue.

Figure 8

Quote from: lockesparrow on December 22, 2005, 11:25:40 AM
Quote from: Figure 8 on December 22, 2005, 12:42:51 AM

You know, probably not, but that's because those are two completely different mediums.  I think I'm just stating the obvious in this post so I'm going to stop there.

Ravi

The island scenes went on a bit too long.  Its when he goes to New York that things get really emotionally more interesting, though the bond between Kong and Ann is (somewhat) established on the island.  I wish we had a little more of that instead of the action scenes.  The CG Kong was excellent.  Great facial expressions and body language.  I didn't fall in love with it, but it was a fun movie.

samsong

the first hour was superfluous, the stuff on the island was beyond exhilirating and managed to recreate for me the feeling of watching movies as a really young kid, and the third hour was a whole lotta bullshit minus kong falling.  i also think the original is boring as hell and completely dated.  part of the original's charm though is that it knows that everything else is an excuse to get to the ape, or that's how i see it, and i kinda wanted this to take it to a step further on that note and be a completely full-on roller coaster ride.  i didn't buy into the "beauty and the beast" dynamic at all (although it was funny to see kong laugh while knocking naomi watts down).  emotional resonance was nonexistent though the attempt for it was more than obvious... i guess it worked for some?  jack black help being himself, and i found that entirely amusing ("YES... iamnowtouchingtheape.").  and the three hours definitely felt like three hours.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: Figure 8 on December 22, 2005, 02:28:57 PM
Quote from: lockesparrow on December 22, 2005, 11:25:40 AM
You know, probably not, but that's because those are two completely different mediums.  I think I'm just stating the obvious in this post so I'm going to stop there.

Yeah... but no... different mediums with the exact same objective, so what's really the difference?  It's distressing that even people who appreciate film generally regard it as a less worthy medium than literature or theatre.

Pozer

It was flippin' outstanding!  All of you who complained about whatever with this movie secretly love it don't you?  What's not to enjoy dammit?  And I loved the build up to the island.  You can't go wrong with establishing some characters.  I've got to agree with Pubrick wholeheartedly, I wanted to see it again right away.  I can't really put it into words, but after all the intensity and the emotional ending, I wanted to go directly back to the build up.