best video store

Started by SubstanceD, November 26, 2003, 01:50:28 PM

SubstanceD

what do y'all think ios the best video store around?

I've seen quite a few a mine goes to Mike's Movie madness in Portland
it's the bomb.
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

SoNowThen

Videomatica in Vancouver is quite the rental place.

I recommend any BC folks to check it out if you haven't already...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

edison

In Houston its Cactus Music and Video

godardian

In Portland, Movie Madness on Belmont gets EVERYTHING coming out on DVD- new re-release or new-to-DVD release. They're excellent.

In Seattle- Nothing so far. Scarecrow Video is a hoax.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sleuth

Quote from: EEz28In Houston its Cactus Music and Video

Is that the one that is next to that really big bookstore (B&N?)

If so...that place is expensive
I like to hug dogs

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

edison

Quote from: Slobh
Quote from: EEz28In Houston its Cactus Music and Video

Is that the one that is next to that really big bookstore (B&N?)

If so...that place is expensive

Do you mean Alabama bookstore?  

Yeah, it is pretty expensive, but they do have hard to get stuff, at least thats what it seemed when i walk around the place.

NEON MERCURY

every blockbuster in north dakota

Holden Pike

Le Video, San Francisco.

Locally here in Bal'mer, it'd have to be Video Americain.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream, it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film."
- Frank Capra

soixante

In L.A., Laser Blazer on Pico (near Overland).  They have pretty much everything you'd want to rent on DVD (including silent films, foreign, special interest, cult, etc.).  Plus, their sale prices are very low.  If you're in L.A., this is the only place you need to go.
Music is your best entertainment value.

aclockworkjj

anything that isn't named ...BLOCKBUSTER!!!!!!!

seriously...support the indy store (even if it's a little more expensive) if available.

My store doesn't have nearly the foriegn section I would like (tho the spanish section is huge), but i would rather not find something there... than rent it from bluckbuster.  seriously.

freakerdude

Quote from: aclockworkjjanything that isn't named ...BLOCKBUSTER!!!!!!!
I agree but even being in an a populated Atlanta suburb, I still rent from BB. At this store alone in my 10 years of renting, I have pluncked down enough cash for over 350 rentals. Ever since Viacom took it over from Huzeinga guy, it has royally sucked.

And my other choice is Hollywood video. They're all about convenience since I always push the rental due time to the very edge. Plus, traffic totally blows here in Atlanta.
MC Pee Pants

Sal

Video Station in Boulder, CO.  I think it is the second biggest rental house in the U.S.  Wouldn't surprise me.

pete

in amherst where I lived for a year they had a video store that rents out five movies for five nights for five dollars.  Obviously nothing under new release, but I was so busy catching up I didn't care.  it was rocking good times.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Here in Dallas I visit a store called Starlight Video.  It costs me $4.35 w/tax to rent a DVD, but they have a large selection of independent, classic, and out-of-print films, such as Song of the South and Eraserhead.