People I Know

Started by Gold Trumpet, November 23, 2003, 04:18:56 PM

Gold Trumpet

Anyone seen this? It stars Al Pacino and came out just this year and debuted on Showtime a month ago or so. Its about a publicity agent who follows him though the high life in NYC as he struggles to hang on like a leech. As a movie, it draws comparison obviously to The Sweet Smell of Success, but this movie hinders its subject when it goes to genre film (thriller).  As an Al Pacino movie, it reminds me most of Scent of a Woman when an average film was overshadowed by a dominant performance. Pacino gives the best performance so far this year in any movie I've seen and he almost completely rids himself of his usual identity without drastically changing appearances. This is one of his best performances but I'm convinced it will be overlooked by almost everyone. Hopefully XIXAX Awards can at least recognize this performance with a best actor nomination.

SoNowThen

I heard a bit about this. I'd like to see it, for Al alone.

Any idea when this will come to rents?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SoNowThenAny idea when this will come to rents?

No clue. It is a shame about the fate of this movie. I was lucky to catch its debut on Showtime, but I haven't seen it on Showtime since. The movie is Al Pacino's performance. Much of the filmmaking is even for that performance.

Finn

I never got to see it. From what I heard, it never really went anywhere. Isn't it out on DVD yet?
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

kotte

Quote from: SydneyI never got to see it. From what I heard, it never really went anywhere. Isn't it out on DVD yet?

Yes it is.

Gold Trumpet