The Beatles

Started by cine, October 23, 2003, 10:24:15 AM

cine

I'm just think there should be more great bands with appreciation threads. I've always said this and I firmly believe if I had to listen to one band's music for the rest of my life, no contest - it'd be the Beatles. My personal favourites: Across the Universe, Helter Skelter, Hey Jude, Here Comes The Sun, and Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds... much much more but I'll save it for later.

godardian

Not really a big Beatles fan (this has been much discussed elsewhere... sure you looked through all the threads to make sure there was no Beatles item already?).

I like "Eleanor Rigby" and "She's Leaving Home," though. A lot of the rest is not as great as advertised, in my opinion.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cine

I looked mostly at the The Rolling Stones or The Beatles thread for what was covered, but there was no thread devoted to the actual band.

ShanghaiOrange

Best moment in a rock and roll song ever: when Ringo yells "I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS" at the end of Helter Skelter.

The Beatles are the my favorite band, and probably the best band ever, but they are overrated.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

SoNowThen

that was Ringo? I always thought it sounded like John...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

What can I say that hasn't already been said
I like to hug dogs

aclockworkjj

I probably wouldn't argue that the Beatles were the greatest band ever.  Their influence is one thing....

What I like is, the fact over time they seriously developed a sound, with great lyrics...that can easily be compared to any possible mood, place, object or anything else.  They can be used as metaphors in almost any possible sense...

cine

Ringo yells that he has blisters on his fingers because the song was actually 27 mins originally.

cine

Ah, my apologies. I was looking for threads with the Beatles in the title.

TheVoiceOfNick

The Beatles aren't as good as the Beach Boys...

modage

Quote from: TheVoiceOfNickThe Beatles aren't as good as the Beach Boys...

only because the Beatles werent on Full House.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Witkacy

Why were  the Beatles special????  I don't see it or hear it.  They're a fabricated icon within the library of pop music.  Long live Beatles muzak...

Sleuth

Quote from: WitkacyWhy were  the Beatles special????  I don't see it or hear it.  They're a fabricated icon within the library of pop music.  Long live Beatles muzak...

When the Beatles started out, they were doing what everyone else was, just really well.  If you can appreciate any oldies at all, you can appreciate them at this time.  Then they started growing as artists and experimenting with different instruments, and other means of creating music.  The big deal is that even then, they were still the biggest thing around and they were expanding horizons for what is played on the radio (pop music if you absolutely must label it).  It didn't hurt that girls loved them and they released soooooo many albums, and that their timing was great (what better time to bring experimentative music than the 60s and 70s).  So here you have a band that is on nobody's badside (except Mr. Xixax) with a huuuuge library of songs that have a huuuuuge range and they were still commercially accessible.  That's a pretty big deal.  No other band has accomplished that, not even Radiohead (not ever Radiohead).  They are a constant influence on countless people for countless reasons, and I thank them so much for giving us their music.  That's just my theory though, I might be wrong.
I like to hug dogs

modage

Quote from: tremoloslothI might be wrong.
you're not.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: WitkacyWhy were  the Beatles special????  I don't see it or hear it.  They're a fabricated icon within the library of pop music.  Long live Beatles muzak...

Situationism, Montreal-style, is alive and well!!!!

Seriously, they weren't nearly as special as most people seem to think... still, if you can overlook the suffocating legend, there are a few very good songs.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.