Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Started by MacGuffin, February 17, 2003, 02:42:48 AM

Gold Trumpet

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

If that was a Choose Your Own Adventure book, and I was nine years old, I would totally ask my mom to buy it for me.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Alexandro

it just looks boring without the crystall skull.

last december i went to guatemala, to this awesome place called lake atitlan. it's one big enormous lake sorrounded and enclosed by three volcanoes and a bunch of mountains. insanely cool. the place is full of travellers from all over the world, a lot of them stay there for years, you know the drill. so while i was there, i met this canadian 46 year old guy staying at my hotel. we used to chit chat a little every day and sometimes at the bars and he always had some crazy stories, mostly related to his time at the sea, when he spent five years living on a boat, and how he came all the way down from canada through the pacific coast. he said he spent once seven days in a storm at sea, where not him or the other guys with him slept one moment. he said after it was over he slept for four days in a row. anyway, after weeks i finnally heard him mention to someone else that his profession was, actually, filmmaker. or not really, he just shot and edited his own videos, and had been doing so for years, as tourism products or just testaments of the places he has visited. at one point he told me that he had done videos on "the crystall skulls", he had the help of true mayan shamans and got permission to shoot at palenque, wich is pretty cool, and well, he had a lot of passion for this. he knew about the indy film and was eager to see if they "got it right". he also wondered if the spielberg team had, by any chance, looked at his videos as part of their research. his videos are en youtube is you look "crystall skull", he calls it "the second greatest story ever told"...i haven't seen them, but maybe someone's interested around here.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alexandro

part of it from what i've seen...im reading his intro on his own youtube user pager and he seems to believe he actually activated the crystall skulls that time in  palenque. that's cool, i wish i  could believe something like that.

MacGuffin

'Indiana Jones' could rescue a shaky summer
By Scott Bowles, USA TODAY

LAS VEGAS — When theater owners gathered here last year for the ShoWest convention, they came with the swagger of gamblers betting on a fixed fight. This year, the odds are trickier.
That's what happens when you don't begin your summer with installments of Spider-Man, Shrek and Pirates of the Caribbean, the movies that jump-started May and led Hollywood to its biggest summer — and year — on record.

This summer rides on the shoulders of an aging action hero, an untested cartoon character and four women from a TV show that went off the air four years ago.

"There's no question there's more uncertainty," says Rob Moore, vice chairman of Paramount Pictures. "Last year we had three franchises that we knew were going to be huge. This year, we have a couple that we know will be big, and more that we hope will be big."

Among films considered probable blockbusters: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Iron Man, Sex and the City and The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. But of those, only Jones is considered a favorite to crack $300 million, as Spider-Man, Shrek and Pirates all did last summer, Hollywood's most important season, when at least 40% of the industry's tickets are sold.

"We certainly come into this summer with more question marks," says Paul Dergarabedian of Media By Numbers. "I think what Hollywood hopes to do is have two really solid movies for every huge hit we had last year. But that means more movies have to perform."

And that means relying on untested films such as Speed Racer, the Will Smith action film Hancock and the animated Kung Fu Panda to fill theaters.

Dan Glickman, head of the Motion Picture Association of America, says that with 28 movies crossing the $100 million mark in 2007, summer doesn't rely on a handful of gigantic movies. "No matter what's going on in the world, there's a great desire for people to see films," he says.

Still, studios will premiere several movies this week not only to persuade theater owners to put their movies onto more screens but also to allay fears that 2008 could break the streak of three straight years of increased revenue.

"I don't know that anyone is going to guarantee we have a summer as huge as we did last year," Moore says. "But we do know some will be really big, and we're bringing movies that could be dependable franchises. So we feel pretty good."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Kal

That article is BS for many reasons, but the main reason is that they dont mention WALL-E. When did a Pixar film make less than 200 million? It's amazing how studios are worried for having original content for once instead of more sequel bullshit. The retarded american people would go see a shitty Spider Man sequel every week.

Pozer

Quote from: Sleepless on March 10, 2008, 07:07:43 AM
That's a very aliens-shaped crystal skull.

it's the supernatural macguffin of the story.  right, MacGuffin?

Sleepless

Yeah, but that poster implies the suspicions were correct: Indy's gonna be chasing some ETs in this one. And then they're gonna hear Lucas' awful one-liners and decide the human race is not that smart after all and bugger off back to wherever they came from taking their crystal skulls with them. And then Indy will say another stupid one-liner.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Sleepless on March 11, 2008, 07:56:15 PMIndy's gonna be chasing some ETs in this one.

Actually Indy will join Dreyfuss in the mother ship.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

New 'Indiana Jones' trailer gets a widget
Source: Hollywood Reporter

NEW YORK -- When a second trailer for "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" premieres online, it should spread as fast as the first thanks to a widget.

While Paramount plans to launch the widget this week, the studio declined to state when the new trailer will debut.

Paramount is counting on the small, portable applications that can be posted on blogs and social networks to maximize the exposure for its trailers. The first "Skull" trailer, released in March, has racked up millions of views.

Paramount turned to widget provider Clearspring for "Skull," which will include a contest with the release of the second trailer. The two fans who manage to distribute their "Skull" widgets most will win trips to the world premiere of the movie and the chance to be red-carpet correspondents in footage that will be streamed onto the "Skull" widgets following the premiere.

"I think the reason that studios are excited about widgets is that word-of-mouth and buzz is what Hollywood is after all the time," said Peggy Fry, senior vp sales and client services at Clearspring. "If you think about it, what a widget is, it's a digital version of word-of-mouth."

Clearspring also is creating widgets for Paramount's Mike Myers comedy "The Love Guru," which will include exclusive viral videos of Myers in character. The widgets, which launched Tuesday, will live on Myers' Guru Pitka MySpace page, where his character will blog about love advice, as well as on Facebook, YouTube and other social networking sites.

Amy Powell, senior vp interactive marketing at Paramount, credited Clearspring with sophisticated backend technology that allows the studio to track its widgets wherever they lived so it wouldn't have to limit its promotions to a single platform such as MySpace or Facebook.

"We pushed Clearspring to create new technological advances for us to fit our long list of requests for our out-of-the-box thinking," Powell said.

Every week Paramount will add a new viral video to the widget, for a total of about eight to 10 videos. The widgets also will include other exclusive content including a "Love Guru" trailer, clips and behind-the-scenes footage.

Paramount's first foray into the widget space with Clearspring was with J.J. Abrams' "Cloverfield," which benefited at the boxoffice from a successful online and widget campaign. The studio also has worked with Clearspring on a daily fortune cookie widget for DreamWorks Animation's upcoming "Kung Fu Panda" and a "Bee Movie" widget.

Other studios that have worked with Clearspring to promote their movies are Warner Bros. for "10,000 BC" and "Fred Claus," Sony for "Superbad," Universal for its upcoming "Leatherheads" and Fox for "Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who!"

Skeleton FilmWorks