Hopes and fears for Fall

Started by SoNowThen, September 08, 2003, 12:50:35 PM

SoNowThen

For the first time in a long time (don't ask me why), I'm looking forward to going to a whole bunch of flicks coming up. Intolerable Cruelty, Kill Bill, Once Upon A Time In Mexico, American Splendor, Lost In Translation, Cabin Fever, Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind re-release, City Of God re-release, etc etc...

BUT... here's the thing: half of those flicks are what you'd call "popular" releases, which means that the theatre is packed with retards who fucking don't turn off cellphones, and talk during the movie, and get up and move around, and who are --- for the most part -- teenagers who don't give a fuck and can't be told to shut up because of their pack mentality which gives them a false sense of security (really though, who tries to shut up 5 rowdy teenagers??).

Any suggestions as to how I can avoid all this and still go see these movies? Because arthouse theatres seem to be the only places where I can have a 90% or above chance that the experience won't be ruined for me by some ignoramus in the audience...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Weak2ndAct

My advice if you can swing it: go to shows early on weekdays.  All those punk bastards are back in school by now-- thank God.  And yeah, stick to the arthouse theatre.  You should be fine.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: SoNowThen...Any suggestions as to how I can avoid all this and still go see these movies? Because arthouse theatres seem to be the only places where I can have a 90% or above chance that the experience won't be ruined for me by some ignoramus in the audience...

All (maybe not OUATIM) of those movies listed will only play in arthouses anyway, so you know most teenagers avoid those like the plague.

Pubrick

maybe it's because i only go in the morning, but all arthouses i frequent are usually half empty. or is it half full?

going early helps. never seen rowdy teens in an art house crowd tho. usually old ppl and divorcees in the morning.
under the paving stones.

soixante

I am looking forward to many fall releases, but most of them I will wait for DVD.  Going to the theater has become a truly awful experience.  People are simply too fucking rude.  It is hopeless.  It's not just teenagers.  It cuts across all demographic boundaries.  I saw Gangs of New York, and two old ladies yapped all the way through it.  When I politely asked them to cease and desist, they simply cursed me and continued with their on-going conversation.

I had been looking forward to Gangs of New York for years.  Thanks to two rude viewers, the experienced was ruined.  Same with Adaptation.  Two yuppies talked through the ENTIRE film.  Two Towers -- a couple yapped through half of it.  I didn't say anything, because the guy looked like a gang-banger.  I couldn't move, because the theater was packed.

So I stayed away from theaters for about 6 months, until I ventured out to see Le Divorce.  I went at 10 p.m., hardly anyone in the theater.  Sure enough, some people yapped.  I cleared my throat, LOUDLY.  They got the drift, but one of them said, "Excuse me," like I was the one being rude.

So save for Kill Bill, I think I will see the fall films on DVD.  I would rather see them on the big screen.  But the situation is hopeless.  Why are people so fucking rude nowadays?  In my opinion, there are two rules for moviegoing -- show up before the movie starts, and don't say even one fucking word during the film.  Is that too much to ask?  I guess so.

So there is a solution to this problem -- rent a theater for yourself, and lock the door so no other people can get in.
Music is your best entertainment value.

SoNowThen

I work in the mornings.

I figure Kill Bill and Mexico will be shitty crowds, so maybe I'll wait until the 3rd week to see those....

when do your guys' theatres open up? Our first shows are at 12:30pm until 10:30pm at night. Not very long movie days.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

SoNowThen

Quote from: soixanteI am looking forward to many fall releases, but most of them I will wait for DVD.  Going to the theater has become a truly awful experience.  People are simply too fucking rude.  It is hopeless.  It's not just teenagers.  It cuts across all demographic boundaries.  I saw Gangs of New York, and two old ladies yapped all the way through it.  When I politely asked them to cease and desist, they simply cursed me and continued with their on-going conversation.

I had been looking forward to Gangs of New York for years.  Thanks to two rude viewers, the experienced was ruined.  Same with Adaptation.  Two yuppies talked through the ENTIRE film.  Two Towers -- a couple yapped through half of it.  I didn't say anything, because the guy looked like a gang-banger.  I couldn't move, because the theater was packed.

So I stayed away from theaters for about 6 months, until I ventured out to see Le Divorce.  I went at 10 p.m., hardly anyone in the theater.  Sure enough, some people yapped.  I cleared my throat, LOUDLY.  They got the drift, but one of them said, "Excuse me," like I was the one being rude.

So save for Kill Bill, I think I will see the fall films on DVD.  I would rather see them on the big screen.  But the situation is hopeless.  Why are people so fucking rude nowadays?  In my opinion, there are two rules for moviegoing -- show up before the movie starts, and don't say even one fucking word during the film.  Is that too much to ask?  I guess so.

So there is a solution to this problem -- rent a theater for yourself, and lock the door so no other people can get in.

yeah, I concur. it's kinda depressing to me. it surely makes me hate people more. that's why i didn't like PDL the first time I saw it. The vibes in the theatre were so bad, it was detracting from the experience. thank goodness for dvd...

MacGuffin

Quote from: soixanteWhy are people so fucking rude nowadays?  In my opinion, there are two rules for moviegoing -- show up before the movie starts, and don't say even one fucking word during the film.  Is that too much to ask?  I guess so.

These types of people who talk and don't turn of their phones, etc. have no respect. It's the mentality that they think they are at home watching the film on their television and are used to not keeping quiet for others.

The best I saw in dealing with this was during "Dreamcatcher". A family had their kids running up and down the aisles. They were told to keep their kids seated, but of course that didn't go over too well with the mother. The manager was called in and esorted the family out. The ENTIRE audience applauded upon their departure. That was the best part of sitting through that piece of crap movie.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

That's good, but the thing with that is, is that it usually takes a LOAD of interruption for everyone to stand unified. In Gangs, when I went, one hour in, myself and three people around me all stood up at the same time to tell these kids to shut up and get out. But the first hour was already somewhat marred.

In order to justify the rising price of admission, they need to pay a bouncer to stand in the theatre and kick people out when they make noise....

©brad

Quote from: SoNowThenIn order to justify the rising price of admission, they need to pay a bouncer to stand in the theatre and kick people out when they make noise....

that is the best idea i've heard in a while.

i usually go on afternoons during the weekdays when the audience is scarce. but it really depends on the movie. sumtimes it good to take a chance and see a movie on opening night w/ a big exciting crowd. when i saw the matrix it was amazing b/c the packed theater was totally into it. no cell phones, no kids running around, just a bunch of ppl cheering, a lot of oooo's and ahhh's, laughter at the funny parts, applause at the end- isn't that better than seeing it alone? i guess its a hit or miss thing.

MacGuffin

Quote from: SoNowThenIn order to justify the rising price of admission, they need to pay a bouncer to stand in the theatre and kick people out when they make noise....

But then they would just add more commercials before the Coming Attractions to make up for it.

BTW, have you seen the one about ending piracy? The 'common' worker bitches that he loses money because of it, which isn't true at all. He still gets paid because his work on the production was done. Unless he has a contract that pays residuals, he's not affected. He should be bitching about productions filming in Canada and Australia taking work away from him.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

very sadly, in the last movie I saw in the theatre, I was more excited and impressed by the commercials than by the previews...

edison

Quote from: ©brad

that is the best idea i've heard in a while.

i usually go on afternoons during the weekdays when the audience is scarce. but it really depends on the movie. sumtimes it good to take a chance and see a movie on opening night w/ a big exciting crowd. when i saw the matrix it was amazing b/c the packed theater was totally into it. no cell phones, no kids running around, just a bunch of ppl cheering, a lot of oooo's and ahhh's, laughter at the funny parts, applause at the end- isn't that better than seeing it alone? i guess its a hit or miss thing.

Thats the one big thing about going to the theater other than seeing it on the big screen; being there for audience reactions. It is really good when it's a scary film, but not the laughable kind, the really scary kind, where people really get freaked out. One instance that stands out for me is when I was working projection and What Lies Beneath came out, being there for the bathroom scene was great, and then when i was working i would look out the window right when that scene came up and got a kick out of the whole crowd in a sudden wave jerking back in their seats. Its things like that that for me make going to the theater better than sitting at home and watching it on a tv.

Find Your Magali

I can't say that I've had any truly bad experiences at the movies.

I still enjoy the energy of an attentive crowd, although I do skip most opening weekends for big films, because I don't like to be packed in like a sardine. So I tend to go to the latest showing of films (I'm a night owl) on the second or third weekend.

There's nothing like cheers during a great action flick (Bruce Willis in DieHard, or Viggo decapitating the orc at the end of Fellowship of the Ring.) ... Or applause at the end of a truly great film (I was in an audience that surprised me by applauding at the end of Traffic -- well before the Oscars).

And, even though there were a couple of folks who walked out, my third viewing of Punch-Drunk Love was enhanced by the fact that I walked out alongside a pair of 50ish women who had also stayed through the end credits and were talking about how that was one of the most enjoyable films they had seen all year. Seeing that kind of cross-generational appreciation for the film got me even more juiced about how great it was.

Banky

Quote from: SoNowThenvery sadly, in the last movie I saw in the theatre, I was more excited and impressed by the commercials than by the previews...

speaking of, did anyone see that comercial for Joe Boxer?  With everyone dancing?  Man i hated that fucking comercial.