Constantine

Started by CastCall, September 03, 2003, 05:38:54 AM

ono

Quote from: themodernage02it was actually the best movie i've seen of 2005 (so far).
Psst... it's February.

modage

Quote from: themodernage02but because its the first movie i've seen to be released this year it was also the worst movie i've seen so far of 2005.  but honestly, it was not too bad.
psst.  i know.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Small Town LonerI saw this today... whine whine whine...Looks like my list of the worst films of the year has begun.

Looks like my list of the worst reviews of the year has begun.

Why all the pissing about this? ('cept you, Mod).

This was a highly entertaining movie.  Very comic book.  Once you accept the world it lives in, it's really fun.

I really get annoyed with people panning this kind of flick because it's not fucking Magnolia.  
This was a decent comic made into a decent movie.

I'm not saying it's brilliant or anything, but it's worth eight bucks.

And while I got a laugh out of Pete's Matrixist, people who still call it "Matrix meets Excorcist" after seeing it might not have actually watched the movie.... Exorcist, yes... because it has exorcisms... Matrix?  uh... it's got Keanu and moody cinematography?

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarateAnd while I got a laugh out of Pete's Matrixist, people who still call it "Matrix meets Excorcist" after seeing it might not have actually watched the movie.... Exorcist, yes... because it has exorcisms... Matrix?  uh... it's got Keanu and moody cinematography?

Thanks for debunking the Matrix comparisons. Other than Keanu, from what I've seen I didn't understand the correlation. It's like saying, it's The Exorcist meets Chain Reaction, since Reeves and Weisz also starred in that film together.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: themodernage02saw this.  it was actually the best movie i've seen of 2005 so far.  but because its the first movie i've seen to be released this year....

What about In Good Company?

Kal

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: themodernage02saw this.  it was actually the best movie i've seen of 2005 so far.  but because its the first movie i've seen to be released this year....

That was actually released last year... very limited... expanded in January.

I just came back from this and I did kinda liked it... except for these group of retards seating at the back laughing and making noises and using their cell phones during the fucking movie... It distracted me so much I missed a few things and it was hard to keep concentrated on the plot... also some stupid mother took a 3 year old kid to see this movie... the little kid started crying like a bastard in the first scene... and then she took him outside... but then he was BACK IN... and crying again...

anyhow... I think the movie was good for what it could be... nobody was expecting much so I'm not dissapointed... I might see it again just so that I can enjoy it without distractions too

Gamblour.

Goddamn, this is not worth the price at all. I have not read the comic it was based on, but there's clearly some horrible adapting going on.

SPOILERS:

The mexican guy - totally pointless, in fact opening the movie with that line about WW2 was fucking hilarious, not in a good way. Mexican guy looked like Gollum.

I think a lot of it didn't work because we aren't given guidelines under which Constantine operates. Like we see him do an exorcism, ok that's fine, then he can go to hell by putting his feet in water (that was well done but), he can send Weisz to hell too? And then he can do the thing with the chair? I dunno, I just think these would've been better had we known what purpose they served. We just get a new "thing" he can do every couple of minutes. That wasn't articulate at all, sorry.

However, Peter Stormare and the ending were all great. In fact, it's funny, the ending really didn't rely that much on information from the beginning of the movie. I think the ending could have stood on its own, and it would've been great. The beginning meanders so much, it's really blah.

Most of all, I think the writing was just plain horrible.
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: andyk
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet

That was actually released last year... very limited... expanded in January.

I was wondering about that after I wrote my message. Yes, a very limited release in December. I can't help but feel its a 2005 release. Actually, all the better for me. I know this valuable piece of information before having done a top ten list for '04.

Kal

BTW... One thing that disturbed me a lot was Shia Labeouf trying to play the stupid character of the movie... the wannabe... who really doesnt do shit... and he doesnt have the face or attitude to be in that movie... totally out of place

Stormare was great... and there is something about Tilda Swinton that just pisses me off... I dont like her...

Other than that... I liked the duet with Keanu-Rachel

modage

damn, you dont even have to open at number one to announce a sequel the monday after opening weekend anymore.  

WB Looks Forward to Constantine 2
Source: Mary February 22, 2005

In the weekend box office report by The Hollywood Reporter, Warner Bros. reveals that they're ready to move forward with a sequel to Constantine:

Across town at Warners, executives were likewise upbeat about the debut of "Constantine." "Considering that this was an unknown quantity, we're obviously really pleased with the results and look forward to the sequel," president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said. "The exits were excellent, which leads us to conclude that the film will continue to do well," he noted. Co-produced with Village Roadshow, "Constantine" skewed slightly more male with 56% but was equally balanced in the age demographic with a 50-50 ratio of those older and younger than 25.

Constantine opened to a solid $34.6 million, according to estimates, for the four-day President's Day holiday weekend. It was the biggest opening ever for an R-rated film during any four-day holiday frame, and it was a company best for WB for the President's Day weekend.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Myxo

I'm really tempted to go see this..

Might have to catch a matinee.

Ultrahip

Did anyone else think Keanu was acting like a stoned Humphrey Bogart?

Gold Trumpet

This movie isn't a waste. Its a worthy walk in matinee flick. The effects didn't draw me into seeing this, but Keanu Reeves did. Whatever one has to say about him, he has found a successful niche for himself: he can play the basic Bogart action character. He's too awkward in romantic comedies, but just right in this one and The Matrix series.

The weirdest feeling was that if this film came 8 years earlier, my life may have been different. Back then I was a CCD student looking for a reason to care for the void that was every Wednesday afternoon. This is christian fantasy lore for the 14 year old male masses.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: UltrahipDid anyone else think Keanu was acting like a stoned Humphrey Bogart?
Yes, I did.
I also agree with what GT had to say above me.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

SiliasRuby

DVD Title: Constantine
Starring: Keanu Reaves
Released: 19th July 2005
SRP: $30.99 & $27.95
Further Details
Warner has announced two editions of horror flick Constantine which stars Keanu Reaves and Rachel Weisz. The film will be available to own in two-disc deluxe, and single-disc standard editions from the 19th July this year. Both will include an anamorphic widescreen presentation, along with an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track. The deluxe edition includes an audio commentary by director Francis Lawrence, producer Akiva Goldsman and the screenwriters, Kevin Brodbin and Frank Cappello, A Perfect Circle's "Passive" music video, eighteen minutes of deleted scenes including an alternate ending with optional director's commentary, a Conjuring Constantine: From Comic Book to Movie documentary, another new documentary entitled The Production from Hell, an Imagining the Underworld documentary, and a Power of Pre-Visualization feature with optional commentary by Francis Lawrence. Completing the package will be theatrical trailers and DVD-ROM content. The set will also include an exclusive Hellblazer comic. The single-disc standard edition will only include the deleted scenes, trailer and the DVD-ROM features.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection