Constantine

Started by CastCall, September 03, 2003, 05:38:54 AM

SHAFTR

I saw this today and came away neutral towards it.  I was happy with the special effects, direction and most of the acting.  I felt pretty engaged in the story except towards the end and during a few moments when the screenwriter felt it necessary to insert a "one-liner".  Towards the end of the film, I started feeling disinterested with the whole thing.

Suprisingly, I thought Gavin Rossdale did a good job (same with Keaun).

All in all, I wouldn't exactly recommend it, but if you are hard up for movies to see in the theatre, you could do much worse.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Stefen

Hmmm, sounds like you werent too sure it was such a bad movie, which gives me hope, cause it looks fucking cool.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

SHAFTR

Quote from: StefenHmmm, sounds like you werent too sure it was such a bad movie, which gives me hope, cause it looks fucking cool.

If you are excited about seeing it, go see it.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Finn

I saw this today. It was pretty awful all the way around. People have called it The Exorcist meets The Matrix and that's probably the best way to describe it. First off, I'm getting really tired of demons and exorcists as the theme for so many horror movies. The Exorcist was a great film and it can't be equalled no matter how many times they try. The actors in Constantine were okay and the special effects were decent, but the screenplay and most of it's ideas are lame. A realistic character study of an exorcist would've been so much better than an eye candy video game like this. It's like so many filmmakers use religion and the ol' God vs. Devil battle for scares and entertainment. Here, they just degrate religion as if they're making fun of it to begin with. Looks like my list of the worst films of the year has begun.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

MacGuffin

Quote from: Small Town LonerPeople have called it The Exorcist meets The Matrix and that's probably the best way to describe it.

Keanu casts out Satan by using Kung-Fu?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Small Town LonerPeople have called it The Exorcist meets The Matrix and that's probably the best way to describe it.
I thought more about Hellboy meets Blade.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

pete

I already said "the matrixist" on page 2.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Myxo

Quote from: Small Town LonerI saw this today. It was pretty awful all the way around. People have called it The Exorcist meets The Matrix and that's probably the best way to describe it. First off, I'm getting really tired of demons and exorcists as the theme for so many horror movies. The Exorcist was a great film and it can't be equalled no matter how many times they try. The actors in Constantine were okay and the special effects were decent, but the screenplay and most of it's ideas are lame. A realistic character study of an exorcist would've been so much better than an eye candy video game like this. It's like so many filmmakers use religion and the ol' God vs. Devil battle for scares and entertainment. Here, they just degrate religion as if they're making fun of it to begin with. Looks like my list of the worst films of the year has begun.

The question that remains to be asked is,

Why did you go and see it? Were you expecting a winner?

Stefen

I still got hope, when I watch this on video it will be awesome, you assholes just continue drinking your haterade and talking shit. this movie will be good.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Myxo

Quote from: StefenI still got hope, when I watch this on video it will be awesome, you assholes just continue drinking your haterade and talking shit. this movie will be good.

haha.. haterade.. that's a new one..

:lol:

Pubrick

Quote from: Myxomatosishaha.. haterade.. that's a new one..

no, actually, it's not..
under the paving stones.

Myxo

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: Myxomatosishaha.. haterade.. that's a new one..

no, actually, it's not..

FINE

Finn

I went and saw it because some critics were saying it "got everything right" and they loved it. But I should've listen to Ebert & Roeper on this one.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Dtm115300

I saw it last night, I didn't think if was awful, but i didn't really like it that much. I thought Rachel Weisz did a great job, and the directing was good to. Not bad for a first time director (in films anyway). This is one of thoughs movies that are better to watch on video or on tv then in the theaters. Entertaning in the beginging and then when it gets bad you can just walk away.

modage

saw this.  it was actually the best movie i've seen of 2005 so far.  but because its the first movie i've seen to be released this year it was also the worst movie i've seen so far of 2005.  but honestly, it was not too bad.  there was nothing terrible about it, and considering this was the first movie from a guy whos previous work includes directing music videos for the backstreet boys, it could've been a lot worse.  BUT, since i was unfamiliar with the character it could've been better and really made me care which it just didnt do despite nothing being tha bad nothing was really that good either.  i thought the trailer looked pretty cool so that was what sold me. the cgi was not great but i'm picky about that stuff, they didnt totally overuse it everywhere but i thought it brought the movie down when they did.  it was (besides a starring keanu and the bullet time) not very much like the matrix, but.....actually thats probably enough right there.  the movie didnt seem to have the green tint that the trailers did either.  clever bastards in marketing.  so, as shaftr said.  you could do worse, but i'm not going to tell anyone to run out to see it.  but i wont keep you from it either.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.