Winged Migration

Started by ono, July 31, 2003, 10:19:55 PM

ono

Caught this tonight.  Been wanting to see it ever since I first saw the trailer at Nowhere in Africa.  Missed the first five minutes or so, though, but I don't think it mattered too much.  If breathtaking visuals are your thing, this is a great movie for you.  Just sit back, and let the music lull you, and the shots of birds as you've never seen them before awe you.  It's not as good as I thought it would be, but it's still a great film, and the best moments really aren't ones I should mention, as they would ruin the effect.  If anything, it just makes me want to see Rivers and Tides more, because while Winged Migration had occasional narration and subtitles explaining what's going on, I felt reflection on what's going on is what it missed, and I think with a similar film and the added commentary, it will make the effect even better.  *** (7/10)

Ravi

This film was beautifully shot.  The lack of narration didn't bother me.  I liked that we just watch the birds and hear the sounds and music.   I don't remember what was in the first 5 minutes, but there was a screen saying that they spent 4 years making the film.

I saw this on a weekday at 9:45 pm.  I got there in the middle of the trailers, so I didn't sit through any commercials, and I was the only one in the theater besides another couple.  Probably the most empty theater I have ever been in.

I hope Microcosmos will be released on DVD when Winged Migration is.  I never did see it.

dufresne

Quote from: Ravi
I hope Microcosmos will be released on DVD when Winged Migration is.  I never did see it.

that's a great film.  saw it when they used to rerun the hell out of it on Sundance a few years back.  I was surprised when i couldn't find it on dvd.  it was actually on Showtime last Saturday, so i was able to catch the last 45 minutes of it.  

on topic, i was hooked on Winged Migration the day i first saw the trailer.  it wasn't as good as i expected, but that's only because i expected too much.  i was really hoping they'd show the contraptions they used to get some of those spectacular shots (a la ending credits to Atanarjuat).
There are shadows in life, baby.

Ghostboy

I really enjoyed this movie too. I actually could have done without any narration at all...the voiceover was so rare that when it did pop up, it was distracting. The music was gorgeous, and the images all spoke for themselves. Some of that photography was just mindblowing...I know at least some of it was staged, but still.

I was also hoping for some behind the scenes footage at the end. It did have a great Nick Cave song during the credits, so I guess it's an even trade, but I'll definitely be picking up the DVD just to see how they made it.

I missed Microcosmosos as well, and now that I've seen this one I really want to find it. I'll just wait for the DVD.

cine

I also thought this was a great little doc. Very moving. When I saw it on July 8, it was a matinee with about 30 people in the theatre, ages looked to be 9 to 70. I don't want to give it away either, but when these parts came on:  :(  , the children didn't seem traumatized and at the end.. kids.. seniors.. and everyone in between praised the movie. I was glad. I didn't want to hear "oh that was boring" or anything like that. Anybody who walked into that movie were probably aware they were about to see a movie on migrating birds. That's probably why.
Since theres TONS of footage they can potentially put on the DVD that they didn't put in the final film.. "225 feet of film were exposed for every foot that got into the movie.".. the DVD looks promising.

MacGuffin

Wait, I getting confused. Did clockworkjj change his name, or did Cinephile steal jj's avatar?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: Cinephile
Since theres TONS of footage they can potentially put on the DVD that they didn't put in the final film.. "225 feet of film were exposed for every foot that got into the movie.".. the DVD looks promising.

The DVD will have every single foot of film shot for the movie.  With commentary by the director, DP, and a mallard.

DIRECTOR:  We tried 7 times before getting the cameraman up into the air.

DP:  We were losing light, but we got the shots in time.

MALLARD:  Quack, quack!

GodDamnImDaMan

Quote from: MacGuffinWait, I getting confused. Did clockworkjj change his name, or did Cinephile steal jj's avatar?

Ohhhhh too much for you to handle Mac? HUH! ANSWER ME!!!!!

::urinates::
Aclockworkjj:  I have like broncitious or something
Aclockworkjj:  sucks, when i cough, if feels like i am dying
Aclockworkjj:  i can barely smoke

http://www.shitzu.biz

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

aclockworkjj

Quote from: MacGuffinWait, I getting confused. Did clockworkjj change his name, or did Cinephile steal jj's avatar?

me here dude....

MacGuffin

It's okay. That was almost a week ago. Cinephile has since gone Mick Jagger.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Excellent little movie, indeed. I think what was most stunning was how personal the movie felt without making it feel too staged even if some of it was. The lack of narration seemed like an inviting card into realizing this was in the world of the birds. I think narration would have been off putting into getting down and appreciating the smaller moments of the birds. The visuals are amazing and just the idea of following various birds around the world in migration is a perfect one for the big screen. I'm glad I caught it there.

~rougerum

pete

well it's pretty "staged" considering that most of the birds are bred by the filmmakers to the sounds of plane engines and cameras, just so they won't get scared off by the cameras.  I read this article interviewing their DPs on the American Cinematographer and it sounds like the most painstaking project ever.  Didn't get a shot they wanted until like a year into the production...etc. etc.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

pete

I just got the DVD for my grandfather here in Taiwan, it's an extended 3 and a half hour version, under the title "the wings of nature", and I guess it's essentially a different movie, way more National Geographic like and more informative with more narration.  There was no way they coulda released that in the theaters.  I actually had to check the credits 'cause I thought I'd bought the wrong movie.  It was a two-dvd set, with a little booklet of the crew and such.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton